Author Topic: Saitek, X52 Setup Instructions  (Read 4768 times)

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Saitek, X52 Setup Instructions
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
lol i was wondering if i coudl find a cheap stick with a twisty and take it apart add a cross bar to it screw it to something heavy and use it as rudder.

probably would be hard to use.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
Before I had an X45.. started getting a little glitchy after 2 1/2 years.  I still have it in a closet.  I never bothered with SST as I was able to map EVERYTHING through Aces High.

Now I have the X52 (got it two weeks ago).  I've found several functions I love using, but it either wouldn't work right, or not work at all without using the SST.

With the X45 I could program the switches as buttons to perform the necessary functions, but with the X52 AH won't recognize it as anything.  Also the scroll wheel and button does nothing, so SST I went!

I was a bit disappointed.. the latest SST software won't show a graphical representation of the joystick (Has something to do with Vista incompatibilities, and even though I have XP, the software is written to work with both).. so it took me some time to figure out how to use the software in chart mode.

The only thing I have programed through AH is the joystick and throttle axis.  I have rudder pedals so I had programmed the twist stick to view left/right position, but that acts a bit goofy (when I release the stick view won't return to center fully.. it's always off to the left or right just a little bit, even though the numbers settle to the same exact thing everytime).. but no biggie.. it was a bit annoying anyway.

I also use the pinkie shift and it's working out great.  With the X45 I didn't like using the pinkie switch because it worked great for the secondary (cannon/bomb) trigger, but since the X52 has a dual stage trigger I don't need to use the pinkie trigger like that anymore.

I have the trigger set up like this.. first stage = primary (MG), second stage = fire all (MG + CANNON).  SHIFT+first stage = secondary (CANNON -OR- BOMBS, whatever is selected).  SHIFT+second stage = secondary (also) so in case I pull the trigger too hard it still works.

I have the scroll button set for zoom select and the scroll wheel for zoom.  Shift+Scroll button = map, and Shift+Scroll = map zoom.

The slider I use for view type... 0-33%=Internal(F1) 34-66&=Chase(F3) 67-100%=God mode(F5).

The HAT on the backside of the throttle I use for flaps (UP/DOWN) and Full/Ground detail (LEFT/RIGHT).  SHIFT+HAT on the back of the throttle controls my auto pilot controls (LEFT=COMBAT(CTRLx) DOWN=LEVEL(x) RIGHT=SET TRIM(.) UP=CLIMB(or AUTO SPEED ALTx).

HAT 1 is for views, the D button on throttle for look up.  Shift+D is look down.  I can use those in combination with the HAT.

The i button is for WEP, SHIFT+i = damage display.

Mouse button = channel voice, Shift+mouse button = range voice.

HAT #2 (on the stick) does a variety of things.  UP=Select weapon, Left/Right is for target selection (gets used rarely), DOWN is.. unprogrammed as of now... still working on things. SHIFT+HAT2 switches gunner positions (1 2 3 and 4)... still need to figure something out for planes that have more than 4 gunners.

FIRE=Bomb bay doors... SHIFT+FIRE=EJECT (and open chute when I let go)

A=Check 6, SHIFT+A=Dive Flaps

B=Gear, SHIFT+B=Tailhook

Mouse control stub thing get used for my manual trims... as does the bottom knob.  Top knob is used for RPM.

My switches are used for bombsite view, calibration, .resetv (get occasional noise distortion.. driver issue i think), engines, and .ef.

It's still a work in progress though.. but it's all slowly coming together

I'm about running out of things to program.  I even only have modes 1 and 2 set up so far.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2008, 07:47:19 AM »
and you dont have the problem of your up veiws sticking on you?
im guessing your using the beta version of sst too im not.
:D
i may go back later and mess with it some more but i said the heck with it i ahvent played since wend and i wanna play. lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
So Goober, you never figured out how to program the forward throttle detent to select WEP?
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2008, 10:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Kami
Elfie and others wanting to use clutch button:

you have gone to your icon in the taskbar, right clicked it, chose "control panel", then "mfd", then unchecked "enable clutch mode" right?  Otherwise your clutch button would negate any other joystick command being sent to the game.

You can only disable clutch mode with the latest drivers.  If you don't have that option, update to newest, and you will.

The drawback to the latest version, (especially the SST software) is it does not support .dat profiles anymore... the new ones are .pr0

And there are no converters out there, so you have to rebuild your entire profile.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
So Goober, you never figured out how to program the forward throttle detent to select WEP?

nah i gave up lol
woul be cool but not necesary lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »
My X-52 setup is a little strange but Ive learned to like it. Its taken a long, long time to finagle the thing and get SST to work with AH mapping. Ive had a hard time getting 2 key press maps to work in SST so I have changed a lot of AH key mapping around to accomodate this, often changing a 2 press command to a 1 press one. I have a bomber profile, Jabo one, and fighter is #3. I have 3 AH profiles with 1 for bombers, #2 for GVs, and #3 for fighters.

My views are mapped in AH on Hat #1. I have "up" view mapped to the click wheel on my throttle. So when I want to look up left I press hat 1 left and throttle wheel in. When i want to see over my head I just press throttle wheel. A and B buttons are for auto climb/auto level. With clutch they are combat trim and film record. Hat #2 is for flaps and radio channels with clutch.

Basically I have everything mapped and fly 99% of the time without ever having to touch my keyboard.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
OK, for those of you interested I figured out not only how to map WEP to the throttle but also engine start/stop.  

The way I have it now I push the throttle forward to the forward detent and I get military power (that's full, non-WEP power).  Press through the forward detent and I get WEP.  Back off out of the detent and I'm back in normal power.  Pull the throttle aft to the aft detent and I'm at idle.  Pull all the way back through the detent and the engine shuts down.  Push forward and the engine starts.  

The trick to this (and something I didn't know previously) was that you can set your throttle to bands and it will still provide the normal analog input for the throttle in AH while being able to assign buttons/macros for different bands.  Using SST, set "throttle" to bands and add three bands.  Drag the top line to the 90% setting.  Drag the bottom line to 3% and the center line to 5%.  Right click on the top band and select Macro.  In the Macro window just type in P, click the check, name it and hit enter.  Now, right click between the lower two bars (between 3% and 5%) and select Macro.  Enter E, check it, name it and hit enter.

Now thats done, save the profile and load it in the controller.  Start up AH and launch your favorite plane.  Select controller mapping, find the throttle and select Advanced so you can see the sliders.  Push the throttle up to the forward detent and back it off about 1/4 inch.  Hit calibrate and pull the throttle lever back to the aft detent then accept the calibration.

OK, so what does this all do?  By calibrating the throttle this way, AH will set the ranges so that you get full idle to mil power settings when you're between the detents.  I start the calibration just a little bit behind the upper detent to make sure I'm always getting full military power when I'm anywhere near the detent.  By using Macros, you avoid the throttle sending repeating commands which I've found will cause your system to lag.  You can set a single upper band because AH will automatically deselect WEP when you reduce the throttle to below 100 percent (mil power).  The narrow lower band is because you want to pass through it when pulling the throttle back to send a single "E" to shut down the engine.  Then, when you push forward you go back through the band and send another "E" which starts the engine.  You should play with your system a bit to tailor the calibration and position of the bands in such as way that it works best for you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:32:29 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »
Here's another tip for those of you with an X-52 or X-52Pro and TrackIR.  

With TIR you want to select "forward view" to cage the TIR line of sight directly forward when you're firing guns or dropping bombs, otherwise the gunsight isn't accurate.  

Previously I had just used POV1 to do this but I've found a great use for the two-stage trigger (and now use POV1 as a trim hat just as in real aircraft.)  This is very simple to do.  Map your first stage trigger (both for shifted and non-shifted states) as "8" which is forward view and map your second stage to fire.  Now, just when I'm getting ready to fire I'll pull the trigger to the first stage to cage the TIR view forward, line up my shot, and pull to the second stage to fire.  It's very quick and easy.  You can map the second stage to let you fire all or fire secondary according to your shift key position.

This also works with GVs.  Previously, I had always turned TIR off when in GV's because you can't see much from the driver and main gunner position with TIR; but, after mapping the forward view to the first stage of the trigger I got some other ideas.  I've mapped macros so that when I select different positions, TIR goes on and off automatically.  When I select driver or main gun, TIR goes off so I can use the stored head positions (which I've raised for the driver) or just so I'm correctly lined up with the gunsite when I'm in the main gun or hull MG position.  However, when I select the Commander's position (Pintle gun) it switches on again so I can use TIR to help lookout.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:31:12 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:03 AM »
wow mace that's really awesome too bad i was to lazy to try to do the wep on the throttle thing lol totaly cool man.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Originally posted by goober69
and you dont have the problem of your up veiws sticking on you?
im guessing your using the beta version of sst too im not.
i may go back later and mess with it some more but i said the heck with it i ahvent played since wend and i wanna play. lol

No Goober, no problems with it sticking at all.

I installed the latest driver... the beta isn't available anymore so I think they made it official.. which is what I have.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
cool maybe ill get it
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
mace i did the thing with the wep on throttle it works really well, solves the problem of me forgetting to turn wep off.

either of you ever have the problem of the stick recalibrating itself off center?
it hasn't happend to me since the second day.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
Originally posted by goober69
mace i did the thing with the wep on throttle it works really well, solves the problem of me forgetting to turn wep off.

either of you ever have the problem of the stick recalibrating itself off center?
it hasn't happend to me since the second day.

Yes, I had this problem.  I had both an X45 and X52 previously and had no problems like this but, after about two years I had some minor problems with the X-52 (slider was spiking) so returned it Best Buy (gotta love the extended warranty) and brought home a brand new X-52.  It had several problems including the self-recalibrating so took it back and managed to get a refund from BB and put that to a new X-52Pro.  Haven't had a single issue with this.  I'm guessing that it could be your stick but first try installing the latest drivers and see if that fixes it.
Mace

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »
you guys are great lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V