Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16398 times)

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2007, 09:43:10 PM »
I think I might have one solution to ENY and arena caps.
Instead of basing the cap on TOTAL numbers, Base it on ENY or % of peeps on a given side.
In other words if there is an ENY of 15 on the rooks side already, no one should be able to enter that arena on that side or switch to that side.
Also the ENY number should be based on peeps in flight, not the ones sitting in the tower.
To many times I've seen a map close to reset and watch 20 bish switch to that side and sit in the tower just to drive the ENY so high you can't even fly.
HiTech is this possible? Just wondering what you think of this Idea.
I think it's fair to all sides and do-able.
Also with this I think if someone loses UDP and relogs hey would have alot better chance of getting back in also.

Lets hear what the rest of you think?:noid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2007, 09:54:06 PM »
The ENY/arena entry thing might work, but you'd have to add something similar to that for sideswitching to keep people from entering as, say a bish (who are outnumbered), and then switching to rooks (with an ENY of 15 and 40% of the arena population, as examples). But, you'd probably have to do it in such a way that sideswitching wasn't completely disabled, or worked normally when no ENY limits were above 1.

This same idea, or some variation of it, keeps coming up. It does sound like a lot of work, but in the overall scheme of things, anything that makes more people happy is good, right?

Also seems like it might have the benefit of continuing to feed arena totals, which would keep caps up, and let people fly where they wanted, with some limitations. However, there'd have to be a lot more people willing to change countries, and I'm not thinking that's going to happen.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2007, 10:36:08 PM »
Eny ideally should be set by the ratio of friendly vs enemy in a certain radius around your takeoff field, with logic to allow fields away from the fronts to be used.  The 9 squares around a field should probably suffice if it becomes intensive calculating a circular radius of every field.

Just using the numbers of planes in flights opens ENY up to large 'groups' to game it, by simultaneously launching.

Allowing people to enter an arena on the low numbered side has been mentioned before - I believe though that HTC is trying to attain 2 seperate smaller arenas with a healthier sense of community.  Allowing people to always enter on the low numbers side presumes that the point is to prevent a side from being outnumbered, which isn't the case from what I've read - and would allow everyone to eventually be in one arena, as people sign in and then wait until someone signs in on another side so they can sign in on theirs.  So we'd have one full arena, and one empty - it would just "ratchet" up to full a little more slowly than if there were no restraints.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #408 on: June 15, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
Should have mentioned that I'd keep the cap system in place, with the minor alteration of allowing 150 players max on any country, so we'd have only slightly larger arena caps than we have now, if the hard limit is still 420.

No more 65/80/170 setups.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »
Lets hear what the rest of you think?

That idea sounds like it could work .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #410 on: June 16, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »
Originally posted by SHawk
I think I might have one solution to ENY and arena caps.
Instead of basing the cap on TOTAL numbers, Base it on ENY or % of peeps on a given side.
In other words if there is an ENY of 15 on the rooks side already, no one should be able to enter that arena on that side or switch to that side.
Also the ENY number should be based on peeps in flight, not the ones sitting in the tower.
To many times I've seen a map close to reset and watch 20 bish switch to that side and sit in the tower just to drive the ENY so high you can't even fly.
HiTech is this possible? Just wondering what you think of this Idea.
I think it's fair to all sides and do-able.
Also with this I think if someone loses UDP and relogs hey would have alot better chance of getting back in also.

Lets hear what the rest of you think?:noid

Can't base it on people in flight, totally open to being mis-used.

What's to stop 30 guys sitting in the tower so ENY is low and then all launching their low ENY rides?

What is needed is an auto disco after "x" number of minutes inactive.

The numbers balancing thing is a pain -

We were outnumbered last night, BY A LOT, Rooks had ENY 25+.
Was nice flying into the hoard with a Tiffie.

But over came the score hoars and it dropped.
Rather they stayed were they were.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:53:23 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #411 on: June 16, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »
ENY peaked at just over 29. I hadn't seen an imbalance like that in ages.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #412 on: June 16, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »
Originally posted by SHawk
I suggested this shortly after the arena splits when everyone was complaining then about side imbalances (not that the complaints have ever really stopped).  I think I suggested an ENY cap of 10, but the exact threshold is irrelevant to the discussion.  It simply makes sense.  Why allow an existing numbers imbalance to become worse?

Slapshot (IIRC) at the time had a related suggestion of a pop-up message if you try to join a side that was "full."  So, if Rook had exceeded the ENY limit and someone who normally flies Rook tries to join, he would get a message saying Rooks are full, so would you like to 1) join Knights 2) join Bishops 3) wait in lobby until Rooks are no longer full or 4) try a different arena.  No one is then forced to switch sides or fly an arena they do not want to be in, if he is willing to wait.  At the same time it puts a reasonable limit on any given side and helps mitigate ENY penalties.

Sitting in the lobby might be frustrating if you are trying to get with your squad, but hopefully this would encourage the arenas to become more balanced (by squads changing arenas to fly together) instead of one country dominating Orange while the another dominates Blue.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
This thread is really getting old :noid

storch

« Reply #414 on: June 17, 2007, 04:43:05 AM »
Originally posted by TheCage
This thread is really getting old :noid
it started old, you didn't expect it to improve did you?

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
Originally posted by storch
it started old, you didn't expect it to improve did you?

Nope, sure didn't.   :rolleyes: