Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16415 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »
Well said ROC.

I know I often wish the game was how I like it, but if it were there would probably be only 5 people in here. The only trouble with doing away with the stats is those people like that part of the game. Check mine..you can see I aint one :P

I do think having a relaxed realism arena for some may help. The new accounts, the summer kids, the milkers, etc, and make it a separate score altogether.   Switch the AvA score card with a relaxed realism arena score card. That way it would separate the types of players, would do away with cross arena scoring and the cheap way folks can boost their score, and the regular main would have more room for the rest of us.

~AoM~

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2007, 08:00:49 AM »
Someone enlighten me please.  What is an "relaxed Realism" arena?
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007, 08:11:11 AM »
If there were ever (and apparantly the last word on the subject was there would be never) and RR FR split then what we have now would be RR.

An FR arena would basically have everything "auto" switched off.

no auto take off
no auto retract flaps
no auto trim
no auto level
no auto speed
no auto angle
no auto bomb site
no ammo counter (unless that model had one)
no damage/status report (plane or strat)
no freindly fire inhibitor
no icon (or something reducing icon data)(no Icon would be the FR "signature" difference tho)
no formations
no e6b
no AoA settings
no scores
no rank
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:23:40 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
TY
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2007, 08:14:03 AM »
Thanks Tilt.  Got it.  Oh that would surely seperate out some of the player types.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:13 AM »
I honestly don't think we'll see any drastic changes for a while, given that they're still trying to get CT finished, and the number of new subscriptions seems to growing exponentially. Now, if all these noobs bag it after a few months, something might change, but for the sake of discussion-

Abolish combined ranking for all the arenas. I'd be happy with just stats, but it might discourage some of the scorepadding in the empty arenas, and take away incentive for the vulching hordemonkeys.

No kill messages upon landing.

Reset player perks at some interval. Now, things that require perks- additional drones, perked ordnance, perk multipliers, etc gain some limited relevance that they are now lacking for the vets.

Make ENY hurt. All sorts of ways to do that.

Home arenas. Give players the opportunity to declare a home arena for their squad. It would probably be prohibitively time consuming for HTC to shuffle open spots around, but perhaps it could be coaded in such a way as to evenly distribute groups. I recall seeing a remark by HiTech that they expected people to find "their" arena, and that numbers were expected to eventually level out. Neither has really happened, so why not just let squads fly together, and use ENY, perk mults, and some other thing to offset the numbers issues. As an example, no perk rides, no large bombs, and a more aggressive ENY limit for the side with numbers.

Make the arenas entirely separate. Same maps, same basic setups, but no more side switching timer tying the 2, no common scoring, maybe even separate squads.

No joining a country with higher numbers. Want to fly together in blue? Change sides. Higher perk rewards, higher eny penalties, and a guarantee to fly with your entire squad somewhere. If you insist on loyalty to chess piece Y instead of X, well, no squad for you.

There's probably issues with every idea, and part of what is enjoyable about the game is the lack of heavy structure, but the same lack of structure results in things happening which can't be good for gameplay or customer retention, especially with so many newer players, and maybe some guidelines for what's allowable, or different rewards/penalties could improve things. Any change whatsoever will result in massive whining, but maybe something positive could come from all of this.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: TY
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »
Originally posted by Stampf
Thanks Tilt.  Got it.  Oh that would surely seperate out some of the player types.

a so called FR arena with the settings Tilt mentioned would be empty very soon.

no auto level.. sorry but I don't want to sit behind my stick every second on long distance buff missions.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Re: TY
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 08:21:54 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
a so called FR arena with the settings Tilt mentioned would be empty very soon.

no auto level.. sorry but I don't want to sit behind my stick every second on long distance buff missions.

You would be very welcome in RR..............

of course if a particular plane did have an auto level.............. then
Ludere Vincere

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »
Stampf - relaxed realism was an AirWarrior thing, it reduced the flight model to eliminate spins, blackouts, etc. IMO it was necessary in AW because the fm was not very good. In AH the fm is great and a relaxed realism arena would likely split the community. The upside is that the... well, there is no upside.

In answer to SHawks post:
Personally, to solve the problems with the AH arenas I think there are really only two things necessary: Break out the ranking system for each activity (bombing, attack, fighter, gv, etc.) so that the combined rank thing is dead, and square away the squirrely arena limiting scheme - set hard limits at 300 per arena and let them fill, autocreate new arenas as needed. Oh, and the TG command thing: make it a first come first served kind of deal but to retain control of the TG the player must remain in the twr on the CV or it returns to a displaced version of its default patrol. I'd also like to see rank based on points - the current points system will work fine.

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »
First off eny needs to be based on # of fields a country has, not people.

All too often I've seen bishops run the map to where Knights are down to 6 bases. An hour later the bish have gone elsewhere, knights slightly outnumber rooks and eny kicks in making it impossible to regain those lost fields.

Combine Early and Mid war arenas. Or heck even set them up as a Axis vs Allied setup. Just design a map that will separate the 2 sides. Nice big ocean, 30k mountains, etc.

A lot of the rest of it is going to be up to the community.
As long as hording and land grabbing, milk running are allowed its going to happen. You can't code them out of the game and still have it be recognizable as the same game.

But the game awards very little for good teamwork. For successfully defending a field, etc.

Maybe the answer is to make the front lines more like the front lines in WWII.
Static, changing, but slowly.  Somehow turn this into more of a war of attrition.

Last but not least, when the heck did Shawk get religion?
Last I saw he was a hording, alt monkey, cherry picking opportunist.
Just because he managed to tweak his score to the top (again and again and again) why should anyone care what he thinks?  Don't get me wrong, he is VERY good at what he does. But its kind of a one trick pony, it does do that one trick very well however.  Which is mostly exploiting the scoring system to end up either at the top or very very near it. He's gaming the game to the max. Ok, well done, but in my opinion it doesn't mean diddly. Other than he's good at gaming the game.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 08:28:25 AM »
Keep stats, but get rid of ranking all together.

Most people, in general, have always and will always be concerned with personal perception and how they are seen and judged by other people. It's human nature and in this game its no different.

As long as there is rank, people will strive for higher rank so that when the possibility of being judged or judging others is a factor, they can point to it to defend or ostracise ... and in most cases, from what I have seen, it is used to ostracise.

There is a faction and mindset in this game, that if you carry a high rank, you are way cool, elite, and are a force to be reconded with, when in reality, most know that the ranking system is a joke.

I would be safe in saying that anyone who is ranked, at least in the top 100, uses the EW and MW to easily bolster their ranking ... including you SHawk.

Nothing wrong with doing it ... cause it's there ... but I believe that ranking, at point in the Aces High timeline and mindset, is the root of all that is evil in this game.

Get rid of ranking first, then see where the dust settles, and then make adjustments accordingly.

Keep your hands and ideas off the EW/MW ... this "problem" is an LW problem.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:32:20 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
If there were ever (and apparantly the last word on the subject was there would be never) and RR FR split then what we have now would be RR.

An FR arena would basically have everything "auto" switched off.

no auto take off
no auto retract flaps
no auto trim
no auto level
no auto speed
no auto angle
no auto bomb site
no damage/status report (plane or strat)
no freindly fire inhibitor
no icon (or something reducing icon data)(no Icon would be the FR "signature" difference tho)
no formations
no e6b
no AoA settings
no scores
no rank

That would be some thing to try for a kick. Sure would make things alot tougher.

I wouldn't like to see the EW/MW go. Its quite fun hunting for milking bombers. I would like to see the numbers higher in those arenas, but I do remember when the EW was new, there were ALOT of SpitVs.
325th Checkertails

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
First off eny needs to be based on # of fields a country has, not people.

All too often I've seen bishops run the map to where Knights are down to 6 bases. An hour later the bish have gone elsewhere, knights slightly outnumber rooks and eny kicks in making it impossible to regain those lost fields.

Combine Early and Mid war arenas. Or heck even set them up as a Axis vs Allied setup. Just design a map that will separate the 2 sides. Nice big ocean, 30k mountains, etc.

I agree with this.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
I will not pretend i read all of these post,so if this has been mentioned already my bad to many hijackers.I would like to see something in the main screen that tells you were your squad is and how many are were.

As far a the maps i would like to see some bigger ones again although people would whine there to.

im waitng quitely until maybe a new version in 2 weeks maybe???
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 08:37:56 AM »
o and if shawk wrote it it must be true he the biggest die hard of this game ive meet!!And i mean that in the good way,he figures his game and flies it his way,as it should be!

Do i get some points for that shawk:D

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
ONE LAST QUESTION,WHAT WAS THE REASON WE HAVE MULTIPLE ARENAS?999000 WHINED ABOUT IT I REMEMBER IM NOT SURE IF WE WERE GIVEN A REASON OR NOT,

oops i will remove myself from the table for caps!!