Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16417 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
Originally posted by tatertot
I will not pretend i read all of these post,so if this has been mentioned already my bad to many hijackers.I would like to see something in the main screen that tells you were your squad is and how many are were.

As far a the maps i would like to see some bigger ones again although people would whine there to.

im waitng quitely until maybe a new version in 2 weeks maybe???

BTW tater, when you log in, click "Lobby", then type ".sr" in the text bar. That will display which squaddies are on, and which arenas they are in, without you having to log into an arena and start hunting them down.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2007, 09:03:54 AM »
/

I don't get into these types of discussions very often, but I'm gonna put in my .02 worth....

Frankly, I don't see what the big hangup on the separate areanas.  The only difference I see now as compared to the big change is that we have 30-40 people that are flying in the EW, MW arenas.  So what.  Go the the MA, you still have all the same planes to fly as the old MA, same maps, same horde mentality, same old, same old.  I see absolutely no difference in the new MA versus old MA.  The only difference is the arena caps.  While I agree not being able to get into a particular arena to join squaddies is inconvienent, I still don't see it being a problem.  My squad simply goes into the MA arena with the fewer people and there is no issue.

Seems to me, the biggest complaint are the arena caps.  There were other issues of milkrunning, padding scores, ranks, but again, who cares??  We had all that in the old MA too.  People are going to play their game irregardless of what other say or how historically inaccurate their actions may be.  So what.  Dweebs will be dweebs will be dweebs.  They just make easy targets.

Are there things that could be better?  Sure, absolutely, but I don't think its worth getting our panties in a bunch over them.  Get in a plane, have some fun.  If you can't, its time to move on to some other hobby, on that you can have have fun in.  Its a game and there is no sense in giving yourself a coronary over it.

/

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »
i think keep EW/MW for those ppl

Combine both LWs:

bigger maps are  gone because there are only 300 ppl average in an arena.
if they compine BOTH LWs it will be about 300-400ppl in low hours and 600-800 in high hours.

BIGGER MAPS PLZ
Donut
Ozkansas
trinity
:D

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2007, 09:11:43 AM »
Originally posted by SHawk
OK, I've been a paying customer of this game for 6+ straight years now and I think I've had just about enough of this multi-arena crap.

It's a joke and everyone here knows it. I'm sick and tired of flying with my squad and lose connect or UDP, and then re-log to find I'm capped out of the arena I just left. Being the CO just makes it worse. All my squaddies are sitting there waiting for the next run and all I can do is say sorry?

The Early and Mid war arenas are nothing but a milking tool  for lamers.
If ya don't believe me, check it out sometime. Twice this week I've been sitting in there and seen 12 or 13 kills landed in a p-40b, only to check the roster and see 2 squaddies on opposite sides. Check stats on those 2 vs each other and sure enough, vulching each other in a jeep or something.
Got film if ya wanna see it.

I think it's high time to come up with a better solution, Even 2 Latewar arenas doesn't cure the so-called "horde mentality". Go into one arena and you find mass bishops, switch to the other one and you got mass rooks ect ect ect. ENY only puts a band-aid on a gushing wound so to speak.

Watched 3 bases being captured today and not a single one of them were flashing one any of the FE's of 5 different peeps, so it's not just me.
Channel 1 functions in early and mid but not in late war, you have to switch to ch 200 there. I could go on and on.

Now I realize this post is probably gonna get nuked in the morning, which will only prove my point that the problem is being ignored instead of solved.

My suggestion is to leave this post intact and let the players submit Ideas for solutions to the problems and see if we got any geniuses out there.(really smart I am, not even sure what plural for genius is:D )  
Cause I'm sure HTC would just love to make us all happy and fix this problem.

Of course the BBS has it's own problems and I'm sure this Thread will get hi-jacked by some jerks who wanna start a pissin match against each other like every other thread in here.:mad:

SO LETS HEAR THOSE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. trolls and hijackers will be hunted on sight.:p

Bring back the old Main Arena !

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Souless

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
My solution can go two ways

Multiareana setup

1. keep the smaller maps(which I have a hard time tolerating)but up the initial cap in each one proportionately.Instead of capping at 120 max users increase this to about 250.
2. Bring back the large maps(would love to see) festerma ozkansas etc but have the initial cap at 500

Single areana setup

1.All large maps in rotation no cap

just my 2 cents

:aok

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:24 AM »
Lot's of idea have been brought forth.  Some good, and some not so good.

One idea was "Bring back the big maps!"  I remember big maps.  10% to 20% of the map was in use, the other 80% was clear.  Why?  Hordes.  When one would log on during single arena large map days they would find at most 3 huge fights.  Horde on Horde and very few if any smaller fights on the map.  Those 3 huge fights would take up about 5 grids only of the Map.  

So....no matter what we might try there is always away around it.  I remember when a group of us would go to the DA chose two sides and just have at it.  Toad, Shamus , Rude, Apar and others  would just get a bunch together and furball, it was fun.  I'm afraid we can't dictate how other people play the game.  And it appears there are no solutions because since I've been here except for the Betas it has been this way.
Some will milkrun, vulch squaddies,change sides to find the cv,lemming horde etc. no matter what.  To some score is important, to others it isn't.

Do the best you can with what we have is what I suggest.  And best thing to do is forget about perks and rank.  One can't even get a Toaster Oven with perks so how valuable are they really?:aok
- The Flying Circus -

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »
Thanks hub i didnt know that worked in the lobby thought you had to be in a arena,course i only have 1 squaddie lol but we do fly with hoovers and cptnova know thanks again
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
The multiple arenas don't bother me so much, it's ENY. I fly one plane 99% of the time. When I can no longer fly that plane, I log off or sit in the tower until I can.

The multiple arena problem can be solved with one simple solution. Remove the caps and let people choose which arena they want to fly in. Of course you need to be sure you don't have duplicate terrains up in the arenas to assure people will fly where they like.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2007, 09:18:55 AM »
I don't see any problems now since the changes that didn't exist before they were made.. it's the same "unhealthy" arenas with the same crap as before.

I still like this game as evidenced by my playing time recently...prolly costing me $5 per hour the last 5 months :rolleyes:  

I never liked the split mains, not when it was announced and my opinion hasn't changed. it's not "our" game though, it's HTC's and they did what they thought was right for their customers.....you can't fault them for trying.

If we must have caps I think if you are willing to join the lowest number side you should always be allowed entry, I'd rather watermelon chat with my squaddies in the same arena while they shoot me down than be in another arena entirely :D

I think HTC should change the "country" names each month, enough of this stupid loyalty, and let the sides shape up for the first few days of the new camp and see how it shakes out....maybe Whiners, Cable Pullers and Cherry Pickers would be cool for the first month ....I like to do all 3 so it would be hard for me to choose a side :aok

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
i don,t really care how others play

let em milk and pad their scores.

it doesn,t lessen my enjoyment of the game one iota!!

but as a solution for those guys it does bother, i would suggest--

a guy wants to milk and pad his score in the ew and mw arena?

let those scores he has accumalated in those arenas stay in those arenas.

ie: you bomb a city in ju88s in mw.

that sorties points stay in your mw scores.

have separate scores for each arena.

what happens in the ew and mw -STAYS in the ew and mw.

other than that, i,m fairly content with the game the way it is.

except for the maps that is!!!!

and the eny?  who cares?? its part of the game--cowboy up!!

Boner
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:35:27 AM by 1Boner »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
You just have to learn to bend.

Not wanting fly different planes, switch countries and/or switch arenas is going to leave you in a very tough bind.

Demanding that the whole system change to accomodate you and a few of your buddies isn't very reasonable.

The current split arena setup is a result of past experience. Going back won't improve anything.

The way we move forward is to throw off the taboo of being married to a certain plane in a certain country in a certain arena.

Loosen up, lighten up and make a positive change yourself.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »
You're all overlooking THE most significant factor.

The only reason there is a "problem" at all is that you've ruled out the solution already built into the game. It's incredibly simple --  you can fix squad limits, ENY problems, absence of fights, horde mentaility, EVERYTHING ....by simply moving to the low numbered side.

Now, if you have a loyalty to one "country" of a few thousand totally great guys, so much loyalty that you dare not meet a few thousand more great guys (on the other teams), then they must be such great guys that it's worth putting up with some hassles just to be with them.
Those hassles you seem to know well, so there's no sense lisiting them.

But if you CHOOSE to be rigidly on one side, then you have to be willing to pay the price for your choice. That's how life works for grownups...if I want to get the home theater, I'm going to have a simple vacation this year, etc etc.

Adults realize that every choice has a cost, and use that realization to make intelligent decisions. Wanting to make choices without consequnces is a mark of immaturity, IMHO.

EDIT: Side changes don't solve arena cap lmits...but limitless arenas have been tried before the splits, and the results were bad enough that HT implemented the split. Whether we like it or not, limitless arenas are things of the past.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:56:51 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
Rank based on points alone means anyone who can play 10000 hours wins and someone who can only play 10 hours loses, even though they may be far superior.  I like the way rank is calculated now.  While not perfect it's a better way of ranking skills than just time played alone.

Getting rid of overall rank and just having fighter, bomber, attack and vehicle ranks isn't a bad idea but I don't think you can get rid of ranks altogether.  It is, after all, a GAME and in a game there needs to be a method of "winning".  Rank provides this and without it I would think many would quit or defect to the competition.

I spend 1-2 nights per camp in EW and/or MW.  I see a lot of highly ranked people there.  Some from the LW's milking for rank and others who "live" there.  Most of the time when I engage a highly ranked fighter pilot in EW or MW I own them and I'm not that highly ranked in a fighter.  This means people are also using EW/MW to milk fighter rank.  I think ranks should be tallied seperately for EW/MW and LW.  Let the milkers fight among themselves for rank, let the rest play on an even field.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
Suggestion 1:  Seperate ranks for EW, MW, LW.  

Suggestion 2:  One LW arena.  (Don't know if this is techincally feasible )

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
And let's be realistic. There are people who really enjoy playing for rank (including the one who started the thread). There are people who love the landgrab, people who are combat freaks, people who love GVs, guys who like bombing or killing fighters from buff guns. We all play the way we like, and its great.

When you say "take away rank" what you're really saying is "I don't care about rank, and I don't like how the rank chasers play the game." It's just the same as saying "delete all GVs."

You'd be a lot better off doing what you enjoy, and jsut staying out of the way of those whose play styles interfere with yours. For example, I like ACM and fighter work; when I bump into a large squad doing operations, like the BOPs () swarming all over a base, I just go somewhere else to find a more even fight.

It's not that hard.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad