Author Topic: Ok this ack is bs  (Read 2005 times)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Ok this ack is bs
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
I know what u are all going 2 say " the acks fine how it is" "its not to accurate, thats how accurate it was in WWII."

well, the ack in WWII was hand cranked and could not keep up will a plane flying at 400 mph through it, it was physically imposable for a hand cranked ack to turn at 400 mph, ack was only good at high alt and head on attacks.
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »
Someone call the Wahhhhhhmbulance:rofl
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Re: Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:58 PM »
Originally posted by redman555
I know what u are all going 2 say " the acks fine how it is" "its not to accurate, thats how accurate it was in WWII."

well, the ack in WWII was hand cranked and could not keep up will a plane flying at 400 mph through it, it was physically imposable for a hand cranked ack to turn at 400 mph, ack was only good at high alt and head on attacks.

You have to find a balance between realistic and whats best for game play. If you turn the ack down to low it only takes 1 person to de-ack then vulch the field, if the ack is also to low 1 suicide porker can come in pork ords dar and troops all in 1 sortie. But if the ack is to high it discourages people to try and de-ack the field all together knowing that there going to die doing it.

I think the ack settings now are just about the correct balance.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:25:02 PM »
yes, i relize that, but it kinda buggs me when im hitting over 400 mph and ack gets my engine, and i relize ti woulb be eaiser to de ack and so on but then ht should just put more ack
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:27:36 PM »
Lets say the ack couldn't hit you at 400+ mph all that means is when people come in to de-ack they would dive from 15k take 1 or 2 out and repeat the process in till the field is de-acked that means 1 person could take out ack then pork it then continue to vulch on it. I don't think HTC will budge on this one.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »
w/e im just saying atleast make it alittle less accurate

EX: instead of being 500% accurate make it like 80%
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »
The fact that people hate it, is often a sign that the system is working as intended.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »
No. What is BS is the Pilot wound setup

Blood spatter then 10 seconds later, total blackout.

C'mon didnt anyone make it due to the adreniline??

I seem to remember more then one story of people in combat so jacked up on adreniline that they didnt even notice they were wounded at first.

Now while Im not expecting that.at least not all the time
there has GOT to be a better way.

The way its done now I'd rather just be killed outright

They only problem I have with the feild ack is too many people spend too much time hiding in it

but a well co ordinated attack can take it out easy enough
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »
If you read some of Closterman's accounts of low level field attacks in Tempests then you'll probably think the ack here is spot on. Here's a quote from him:

AJ: As for example when you attacked an airfield and you alone returned out of eight or twelve aircraft?

PC: Yes, we could send out six aircraft on a mission and only two would return. This unusually high loss was especially likely to occur on ground attack missions such as strafing enemy supply trains. We could not do much about this; the anti-aircraft coverage was intense and severe. The losses in the Free French Forces were similarly experienced in the RAF proper. You know, overall the Royal Air Forces and Royal Marines lost over 80,000 young pilots. The Americans too experienced heavy losses of airmen on their daylight bombing missions.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »
yes, i relize that, but it kinda buggs me when im hitting over 400 mph and ack gets my engine, and i relize ti woulb be eaiser to de ack and so on but then ht should just put more ack

They did put in more ack.

You ever see how much tracer fire 1 lone plane attracts over an airfield?  That you catch a couple rounds in that cross fire is not hard to believe.  

And AA or AAA hitting a fast mover is not all that hard to a trained gunner.  LTARs manage to hit out to between 1 and 3K with Osties often enough to hear the tales.  Ask some old Vietnam pilots what being over North Vietnam was like, and they would be pushing toward Mach 1 speeds at times.

Offline LTARsqrl

• Zinc Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 12:05:33 AM »
ack was only good at high alt and head on attacks.

Guess again.  Try watching some old footage of the Kamakazi attacks.  Low altitude, 400 mph deflection shots.  And as I am sure you will soon find out, more planes were shot down by flak than from planes.

The Puffy ack on the other hand needs work.  Still can't figure out how those rounds pop around me when I am changing direction and altitude.  And how the heck can the shoot behind mountains?  :confused:

LTARsqrl  <>

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
LTARs manage to hit out to between 1 and 3K with Osties often enough to hear the tales.

Yup, I've regularly had ltar's reach out and touch me before the AI even got close.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:31 AM »
Originally posted by LTARsqrl
Still can't figure out how those rounds pop around me when I am changing direction and altitude.  And how the heck can the shoot behind mountains?  :confused:

A box is drawn around you that all ack fires into. With puffy, the puffs are randomly generated within it. With solid fire, the rounds fly through a random point in the cube. This cube gets larger the faster you are moving, the farther away you are, and the more Gs you're pulling. The box stays centered around the aircraft, however.

HT actually stated at the last con's Q&A that the puffy-through-mountains is a feature. :huh
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:54 AM »
yeah but sqrl, thats if there going head on or running away not a fly by, and i garentee it was like a 1 in 1,000 chance u hit a fly by
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Ok this ack is bs
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 12:16:28 AM »
yeah but sqrl, thats if there going head on or running away not a fly by, and i garentee it was like a 1 in 1,000 chance u hit a fly by

:rolleyes: Oh boy. Attacking a CV group, maybe one gun would be head-on. The rest are deflection shots. Same at an AAA installation or field.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.