Author Topic: p38 help  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
p38 help
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 02:39:59 PM »
Having those two engines though makes it pretty easy to get out of a flAt spin. Or pretty much any uncontrolled spin really. Drop both engines to idle, then slam on the engine opposite the spin, and quickly even the engines out.

You'll staighten out just like that.

Also with it's wieght it's difficult to make a P38 stay in a flat spin anyway. It will usually very obediantly nose over with very little effort, allowing you to regain control quickly.

Once you get used to the P38 you'll find it to be a really table platform compared to the single engined heavy fighters. awsome for strafing and dive bombing. though sometimes I wish we could sling gun pods under the wings where the rockets normally go.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
p38 help
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
I have a DA film of how killing one engine(p38) can turn a close scissors fite where u are at a disadvantage(vs a better stick) into an unexpected overshoot(& kill).

I'll email it if anyone wants it.

mapmusic@mountaincable.net
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
p38 help
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »
If I had a dual throttle (or even better, a quadrant!) I'd do that in 38s and other planes more. As-is, it's too difficult to change engine selection, change setting, switch engine (settings jump to whatever your throttle/RPM are at) and then reset, then go back to the other engine, and repeat.

Would be soooo much nicer with dual throttles (and dual RPMs)

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »
I have an x52 and have set the hat switch on the throttle to select each engine or select both plus start stop, makes it easy.  Flick the opposite engine and pull back on the throttle but i rarely find any practical use for it other then spin recovery.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
p38 help
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Who says it has to be practical? Sometimes you do things because they're just fun! :D

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
p38 help
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »
Who says it has to be practical? Sometimes you do things because they're just fun!

But unfortunately, there are people who pick on these stuff from threads like these and start propagating myths. Its pathetic, but its known to happen.

Therefore, clerick's verification was not unnecessary. Some people actually do believe that being able to do something will always result in something  practical.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
p38 help
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »
Originally posted by clerick
...but i rarely find any practical use for it other then spin recovery.

And that's all it's pretty much good for.  I used to use a SunCom dual throttle when I first started AH, just to see how it would work.  After about 5 months using it, I went back to my old Pro Throttle as I really didn't see any tangible benefits to using one.  The only thing it helped with was making it easier to recover from those dreaded snap roll spins and it made my Hammerheads look oh so pretty.

Having said that, I have however just ordered the dual throttle from CH but just for the "immersion" factor and to make my hammerheads look pretty again.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
p38 help
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
Ooooh...! Is that the one with 2 additional levers for RPM?

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
p38 help
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
NO it wont help. Use flaps, those help alot. Ask Benny. You will be on the edge of stalling tho. The only thing turning of a engine will do is to help u get OUT of a spin. I dont really even turn it off i just lower the power on one so ill stop spinning. :aok

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »
Originally posted by ForrestS
Use flaps, those help alot. Ask Benny. You will be on the edge of stalling tho.

[Cringe.]  You are addressing some of the best P-38 fliers in this game.  Invoking my name before them like the name of an apostle just makes me look foolish.  Or is that your intention?  Of course, perhaps it could be beneficial.  It may be that Soulyss and Guppy will be alight with righteous wrath and come duel me for their honor.  I do so love duels.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
p38 help
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »
^wierdo^
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 01:04:23 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
[Cringe.]  You are addressing some of the best P-38 fliers in this game...

I'm gonna pretend that i'm included in that  :lol

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
I have no idea.  Stop by Blue Sky and I'll find out.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
p38 help
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
It may be that Soulyss and Guppy will be alight with righteous wrath and come duel me for their honor.  I do so love duels.

Hey Dan!  Someone thinks we might be good!
:lol

:D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
p38 help
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
you guys leaving all of those FREE P38 parts laying around is starting to pay off !:D