Author Topic: p38 help  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
p38 help
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
[Cringe.]  You are addressing some of the best P-38 fliers in this game.  Invoking my name before them like the name of an apostle just makes me look foolish.  Or is that your intention?  Of course, perhaps it could be beneficial.  It may be that Soulyss and Guppy will be alight with righteous wrath and come duel me for their honor.  I do so love duels.

LOL, my 38 is usually alight, there is no question on that.  :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
p38 help
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
Hey Dan!  Someone thinks we might be good!
:lol

:D

Proof that if you talk about flying the 38 enough, folks might believe you know what you are doing.  Ahh to have them all fooled as we do :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
Yes, it worked for me.  So are you guys going to come visit me in Blue Sky sometime?

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 02:20:32 PM »
LOL i JUST figured out what BLue Sky is....  DUH

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
p38 help
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »
Yes, it worked for me.  So are you guys going to come visit me in Blue Sky sometime?

I don't check out the H2H rooms very often, but if the MA's and the AvA are devoid of any good fights I'll swing by and you can kick me around for a bit.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
p38 help
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
[Cringe.]  You are addressing some of the best P-38 fliers in this game.  Invoking my name before them like the name of an apostle just makes me look foolish.  Or is that your intention?  Of course, perhaps it could be beneficial.  It may be that Soulyss and Guppy will be alight with righteous wrath and come duel me for their honor.  I do so love duels.

Benny wtf.:huh  Someone trainslate.  Dude u ARE a very good P38 pilot. If ur saying ur not good ur lying to urself.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »
Oh, I'm quite good.  I've no false humility.  But a couple of the guys here have been doing this twice as long as I have and could make me feel small and humble if they so chose.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
p38 help
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 01:00:51 AM »
Clerick's good to fly with. I make a mighty good decoy for him. I'd love to learn how to fly a 38 but all I've been able to figure out is BnZ. Not my style. Now if it could turn fight with a spitty.............

Why doesn't cutting one engine  help you turn faster? It seem that all the power on one side would sling it around like a tt-dancer on a pole. I've tried and it seems odd that nothing ridiculous happens. Was there any protocol for this in the actual P38 flight manuals? I've done the hammerhead thing and it works real nice. Why wouldn't it work in the horizontal plane? Is it because the engines are so close together? Would this work differently in a Mossie?

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:35 AM »
Thanks Einhorn... er bubba.... er....

But to answer the question the engine is still pretty close to the centerline of the plane and i would assume that there isnt enough of a moment applied by single engine operation to REALLY override the opposite moments applied by the vertical stabalizers.  If you fly a 38 straight with only one engine you'll see that it does yaw to the opposite direction but ever so slightly and this affect seems to become more pronounced the slower you are going, again i would assume that this is due to the airflow over the vertical control surfaces slows down enough that the forces countering the prop arent as large.

Try running up one engine on a stationary 38 and you will see a pronounced yaw, but as your speed increases it becomes less and less.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
p38 help
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »
Yes, and that's how it was in reality.  Pilots said that it flew fine on one engine, but it became increasingly more difficult the lower the speed and taxiing it on one engine was quite impossible.

As I said, torque can help an airplane turn, but power helps an airplane turn more than torque, so the addition of torque doesn't come close to making up for halving your power.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
p38 help
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2007, 12:18:21 AM »
Originally posted by Bubbajj
Why doesn't cutting one engine  help you turn faster? It seem that all the power on one side would sling it around like a tt-dancer on a pole. I've tried and it seems odd that nothing ridiculous happens. Was there any protocol for this in the actual P38 flight manuals? I've done the hammerhead thing and it works real nice. Why wouldn't it work in the horizontal plane? Is it because the engines are so close together? Would this work differently in a Mossie?
It has to do with what is the dominate force on your airframe at a given moment.  If you are in controlled flight, lift is the dominate force.  Single engine power will affect the intensity of the yaw and roll forces on your plane, but it won't give a pronounced effect while the lift force is acting on your mass.

Hence why it is so pronounced in a spin, or taxiing.  The off center thrust becomes the domninate force.  With a hammerhead, its the same thing.  As you near and cross into stall conditions, the asemetric thrust becomes the dominate force.

In theory, yes making a left hand turn with your thrust line right of center would help you turn to the left better.  But without full thrust from the other engine, you are losing out on the thrust to drag and power to weight ratio.  At your max sustained turn rate, your thrust and drag are roughly equal.  Lower your thrust, and you lower your sustained rate of turn.  In short any possible benifit is negated by the effects of reduced thrust.

On the other hand, it is possible to do some neat things with it, but it usually involves having a stall condition somewhere on your foils, and it is usually a 1/2-2 second action, not sustained.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:28:10 AM by Murdr »