Author Topic: Vista 64 bit and Microphone/voice chat?  (Read 337 times)

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
Vista 64 bit and Microphone/voice chat?
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:40:16 AM »
Hi!

I have installed a Vist 64 Bit-system. AH works fine except that I cannot seem to transmit voice from the microphone.

Is this because MS changed stuff in the audio-management? I think I read something about that. I can record waf-files from the microphone. So the drivers and stuff work OK for the soundcard. The card is a cheapo-on-board Realtek-thing.

Im not sure what could cause this. I have the Windows-Firewall enabled and Avast running. Neither shows a message box that they blocked something. Per default, t or F12 transmits, I didnt change that, but when I press one of those buttons, nothing is transmitted and there is no Icon in the upper right corner. I think there was one when you used it, right?

So, can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Thanks a lot!

Offline Borsuk

• Zinc Member
      • 5th SFG SOAR Squad Website
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:52:43 AM »
There was a problem with Vista 32 bit when it first came out that it set the  microphone volume to minimum regardless of how you set it, that appears to have been fixed as mine is working fine now. Maybe there is an update at MS that needs to be downloaded, I think most people have the 32 bit version so far so they may have fixed that version first.
You could try using a USB microphone, don't know if that would be affected as much as a straightforward audio plug job.
Borsuk
No job too small, no fee too large
"Anything I promise when drunk is sacred. Anthing I promise when sober may be reneged on" Harry Carey Jr.
5th SFG S.O.A.R.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:35:46 PM »
Yeah make sure your mic volume is turned up, and mic boost is on.

also an easy way to test is to put your gameid in the voice chat box (instead of a channel number)... then when you hit F12 you'll hear your own voice being transmitted back to you!

If you see your name appear top right but no sound, then you have a sound issue.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »
If you self tune you need to hit the T key to transmit to yourself, not F12.
You will only see your name in the upper right if you self tune and transmit on radio 5.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:30:03 AM »
Hi and thanks for the replies!

I have found at least one problem, which might have contributeted, but I couldnt check it yet.
I have a mainboard with a nForce-Chipset. And the Nvidia-drivers I installed caused a whole lot of stange networking troubles.
E.G. I could not view any microsoft-page in the browser, or certiain other websites but the majority (like hitech's) worked.
Somehow the faulty drivers caused this, and now I'm trying to get it up and running again without those drivers. I could imagine, that the tansmission of those sounds from the microphone might just have been blocked somehow by these drivers.

I didnt get to check if this problem is gone now, and I wont be able to check this evening. But hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again, I'll try the tune-to-yourself-trick to see if it works ;)

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:55:01 PM »
Hmm, sounds very similar to the problem I am having.  I've re-installed my sound card drivers but couldn't get on last night to see if it worked.  Mic works fine with other software.  I'm still running XP.  

The game id self check is a good idea, I'll try that out also.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
I don't know how this compares to online but you can tune radio 5 to server and transmit to yourself offline with the t key.
Again I don't know how this would relate to the online self tuning and Skuzzy would have to voice his opinion on it to see if it's is similar.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Clay1582

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »
I'm having a similar problem with my mic.  I've got a plantronics headset and any time i hit F12 the mute button on my headset turns red.  Anyone ever have that happen?  If so how'd you fix it?