Author Topic: Help with Flying  (Read 387 times)

Offline weeges

• Zinc Member
Help with Flying
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »
I am pretty new to this, but had tried it initially about a year ago. Back then I used a regular thrust master joystick, now I have an x52. I find that my flight dynamics are all screwed right up, insofar as I cannot get the plane to go where I want....i.e. if I am flying all nice and level, trying to increase speed (other subject I will address later), and then spot an enemy maybe at 1.5 away, easy dive distance, I "swoop" down start shooting and then the plane goes all outta wack, shimmying and becoming increasingly uncontrollable. (combat trim on or off...doesn't matter.

I find this game very hard to fly even remotely well, where in other games (no comparisons made) I fly pretty well.

Speed:  if I push WEP.. I get no more than 5% increase, where as sometimes I will fly right beside someone else and I hear them turn on WEP and boom they are like going going gone from me no matter what I do to try and catch up.  

I think for the week or so I have been flying hard I have not been able to keep control of the plane well at all (any plane) I find that in a climb from a dive it goes into stall mode so quickly that I cannot recover....not necessarily looking for flying advice although no complaints if given... I know it is all about practice practice practice die die die maybe get one kill but always it will be an assist or a fluke (well in my life anyhow).  :O <-----my face just prior to slamming into the ground

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Help with Flying
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
Originally posted by weeges
and then spot an enemy maybe at 1.5 away, easy dive distance, I "swoop" down start shooting and then the plane goes all outta wack, shimmying and becoming increasingly uncontrollable. (

You are experiencing compression. You are simply going way too fast. Speed is not always your friend, especially when diving down onto an enemy. The various planes react differently, some planes are suffering at  lower speeds or just more heavily than others, for example P38, all 109's, Ki84. While other planes like the P47s have much better handling at high speed dives

Ways to prevent getting into that speed range are: Chopping power, descend not linear but in wider circles, using your rudder as a speed brake or just don't dive at targets too low.

IF you get into compression, chop power immediately, kick in your rudder and disengage combat trim and trim your elevators manually up.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:18:37 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Help with Flying
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »
EDIT: Disregard. I think I mis-read your original statement. I thought you were pulling stalls due to over-controlling.

Offline weeges

• Zinc Member
Help with Flying
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »
But overcontrol is an issue I think....sure would be nice to figure out the sweetspot in this stick and calibration.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
Help with Flying
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:33:48 PM »
It could also be your stick. many people are having trouble with the twist action on the X52. go to your stick calibration and look in the deadzone control area. Tap the stick a bit and see if the twist control is jittery or shaky.

If it i you can probably increase the dead zone on it to keep it from happening. it will get worse though over time. If it's doing it now send it back and get it replaced. Over time the jittering will get so bad that you won't be able to cover it with the dead zone settings and will have ot send it back anyway.

I and a fe others have had to get oursreplaced for this reason. Another indication of an X52 with this problem is the throttle control. If you look at the throttle control you may notice that it doesn't go all the way to zero. Despite pulling all the way bakc on the stick. If so thne you're definately in that batch of sticks with serious problems. send it back to saitek for a replacement.

-------------

As for other reasons for your problems.... have you played any other flight sims? for someone completely new to thegame it may take more than a couple of weeks to get the basics of flight worked out. Also what plane have you been flying. Not all planes have WEP. Even then not all planes WEP is equal.

Diving 1500 feet usually isn't enough to start compressing, unless you were going really fast before your dive. I say hit the training room and have one of the other sticks join your plane so they can see what you're doing. it might be somethign simple, or like I said above oyu may have a problem with your equipment.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Help with Flying
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Do a search on these boards for the stick by manufactors name (I don't know who makes an (X52) and scaling. A number of people have posted their set-ups with that stick, that may help.

On the other hand, unless your very heavy handed with your stick the default slider setting should be a good starting point. Scaling is mostly fine tuning to your style of flying.

As to whether your "stalling" or "compressing", the best way is to check what speed your running is to bring up the clipboard, and click on E6B. This will give you your alt, speed, range and so on. Most planes "cruise" between 280-400 mph. Check to see if thats where you are. If not, your throttle may be out of wack. If you are then like Lusche said, you maybe compressing.

Best thing to do is to spend some time in the training arena and get with one of the trainers. They can help you get your stick squared away while your working on it, in stead of checking here then going to try some stuff then come back with results. Theres enough stuff to learn with out having to fight with your stick!

oh, and welcome to Aces High!

Offline weeges

• Zinc Member
Help with Flying
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
Thanks all for your advice. I will set up my mic and headphones and go looky in the help area aka "Noobs Welcome" Appreciate the advice.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Help with Flying
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »
Here's the LINK I was telling you about for setting upi your stick.