Author Topic: Help with torpedo targets  (Read 699 times)

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
Help with torpedo targets
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:02 AM »
Hi,

Are there any shipping targets on any maps suitable for torpedo attacks besides the carrier groups (and PT boats) ?

Thanks for any feedback, A8

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Nope
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »
:(

Except for the little tug that has base supplies, but a little cannon is all you need there.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
No we need a LOT more targets for torpedo and anti shipping roles. Not to mention if we ever get subs.

Best way I've found to practice torp runs is to create a 1 man 8 player host.
This lets you load the terrain you want, gives you full controls of all variables, lets you "jump" task groups, etc.

Start by going into arena settings and turn "protect objects" off. Now you can sink your own ships, bomb your own fields without ack killing you.

Once you have that down jump country's, set up 2 task groups to cruise side by side just a mile or 2 apart. Just out of ack range, so you can take off from one, turn and attack the other.

You can "jump" a task group by setting a waypoint.
then type into text buffer

.jumptg ##  

You'll see it snap to the far end of its waypoint.

From what I've found, the lower you are going in, the better. Remember to watch your speed and not exceed 200 mph.The longer you'll have before the ack's start hitting you. So the closer you are before you have to drop and duck out of there. Torp's take a LOT of lead, and task groups are FAST. So anything more than a 45 degree angle on the bow generally isn't going to work. Down the throat is in some respects the easiest. But if the TG turns or you are a hair off you'll miss.

Ju-88 with twin torp's and dive brakes for quick peed adjustment is in many respects the best plane to practice with. Just remember, a good torpedo attack is hard, probably the hardest thing to do in Aces High.

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know I could set up a practice arena like that. I'll try it this weekend. :aok

Thanks, Avenger8

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
you can get away with drops up to 250mph in the TBM.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
Scored my first in-game torpedo hit today... against an unarmed tug :D

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »
Ive hit a PT boat with a 1 bomb(not torp). I dident think it would hit. I dident even aim, i just dropped and BOOM. I was like whoa...

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
Grats Avenger, keep practicing, you might become the first and only torpedo slinger.:aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
Heh heh ;)  Here's the action packed video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU9_wnU5kxY

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 09:49:21 AM »
You can kill pts with torps, but they avoid it to easily if they spot it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:45:34 AM »
I usally drop my torp right before the CV (If I make it).
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 01:14:33 AM »
Try to set your attack up 45 degrees off the bow of your target.  In an Avenger, go max gas and get it up to 250 indicated if possible.  Start leading the CV by aiming towards the mid to rear portion of the Cruiser.  Make your drop as soon as the auto-ack starts firing and break hard away from the CV group back in the direction you came (if you want to live).  Wait a couple of minutes and you have a good chance of hitting.  If you overshoot the CV, you may pick up a destroyer.  The approach is key.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »
One of the great things about Aces High is that you can do things by the seat of your pants and have a blast, or you can do it using math, since real flying requires math and aiming a torpedo requires trigonometry. :)

Ju-88s, Ki-67s and B5N torpedoes are fast torpedoes, traveling at 47 mph after hitting the water and cover 1,000 yards in about 43 secs.
The maximum range is 2300 yards. Travel time is 1 minute 40 secs.

PT boat and TBM torpedoes are slow torpedoes, traveling at 39 mph after hitting the water and cover 1,000 yards in about 53 secs.
The maximum range is 4570 yards. Travel time is 4 minutes.

Fleets move at a standard speed of 34.5 mph (approx. 1000 yards/minute).
Fleets can travel at a speed higher than standard for more than 5 minutes after making sharp turns.

You can drop a torpedo from a TBM up to 900' AGL and 200 mph to still arm normally. The torpedo must be traveling at <250 mph when entering the water.

Fast torpedoes must enter the water at <200 mph and can be dropped from up to 460' AGL and 175 mph to arm normally.

The approach that gives the best odds of a successful hit is to have an attack run perpendicular to the fleet and drop when the bearing to the CV is 41 degrees (slow topedoes), or 36 degrees (fast torpedos), from 100' AGL. The least number of fleet guns can be brought to bear on you if you egress in the same direction as the fleet course.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »
Greetings All,

If you get shot down before your torpedoes hit do you still get credit for any damage inflicted?

Cheers,
gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 06:16:47 AM »
Hi Guys,

Well, I followed your advice last night and about 3 minutes after dropping my torpedo and getting shot down, I got the messages that I sunk a ship. Thank you for the excellent advice !! Since I got shot down after dropping my torpedo, I'm not sure what type of ship I hit/sunk. Is there anyway to find out ? I combed through the scoring pages this morning but didn't see anything.

Thanks again, Avenger8