Author Topic: X52  (Read 396 times)

Offline mrshiver

• Zinc Member
X52
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »
Just got my X52 controller and have come to the realization that I cannot use it unless it can be configured for a left handed person. Has anybody out there configured one of these for a south paw?
Flying as shiverx

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
X52
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »
I haven' seen any modded X-52 (someone here does have a modded CH stick/throttle though) and it would take a major rework considering the way the throttle and stick are molded.  I'm a righty but have seen plenty of lefty RL pilots learn to use the real thing without much problem.  Just a matter of practice.  Also, I'm used to a right handed stick but general aviation airplanes typically have a yoke with the throttle/mixture/prop controls on the right so you handle the yoke with your left hand.  It's never been a big deal for me to fly left handed in one of those.  I know that's probably not very useful but just give yourself some time and it'll probably work itself out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:49:57 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
X52
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
When I had surgury on my right hand, I flew left handed on a CH stick for a few weeks.  It was most uncomfortable, but I had fairly decent success with it.  Since I'm right handed, it would be easier for a left handed person to use it.  I don't envy you, though.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
X52
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 08:09:39 AM »
I think I'd go looking for a Saitek Aviator if I were you. Price is reasonable, stick is straight should be able to be used by either hand with no problem. And it has split throttles if your into such things.

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Another Option
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
(Theoritical mind you, just thoughts, I'm a righty.)

I wanted to modify my AV8R to choke it up a little bit like a ball bat for easier top hat access.  I posted here for ideas.  

One good idea was to remodel the stick using "Sculpey" firing clay.  $2 per 2.25" x 1.75" x .75" block of what looks like fudge cakes, various colors.  Take it out of its wrapper, mold it how you wish, get more to build it up.  Then use thin knife to separate, maybe in modules and in kitchen oven at 275 degrees F. for 15 minutes per .250" thickness (allow more time if thicker, not hotter).  Lightens up as moisture evaporates it.  To my local craft store (A.C Moore) is where I got it.  They sell for $10 (same mfg.) an oven temp thermometer as ovens vary to accuracy.  Store recommended an adhesive called E6000 for ceramic to plastic bond, though permament, about $4.

Maybe you can remodel your X52 to your grip?

I bet Yahoo! Groups has a forum about modifying joysticks or Google it.  You can't be the only guy with this problem.

Another idea I like I got here, I played with thinking it out is plumbing pipe insulation foam, 8 feet for a couple dollars.  You can cut it and layer it like the clay.  I used double sided carpet tape to adhere it.