Author Topic: Joystick  (Read 770 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Joystick
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:47:32 PM »
Well, I've had my Saitek ST290Pro for 4-5 yrs now, I've been dealing with a throttle problem. I could stand that...but now my hat switch gave in. I am going to get a new one. I don't want to spend $100 on one either. I was looking at the Saitek Evo Force. Any suggestions on a new one?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Joystick
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:15:37 AM »
Well I'd stay away from force feedback myself.

Actually the Aviator with its dual throttles has been capturing my eye.

Price certainly seems reasonable.

Went more bells and whistles then by all means look at the Evo or the X52.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joystick
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »
In the past 6 years I've been through a number of Saitek sticks - Cyborg Golds, Evos and 2 X-52's. In every instance the precision of the joystick was always a bit "off". Just about every Saitel owner will say the same thing...sooner or later. Two weeks ago I bought a CH Fighterstick and married it in with my X52 throttle and Saitek Pro Flight Peds.  The difference is considerable! Smooth as silk!!!

I am now firmly ensconced in the camp that believes it's best to save your pennies for the CH gear.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Joystick
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
Well, I've had my Saitek ST290Pro for 4-5 yrs now, I've been dealing with a throttle problem. I could stand that...but now my hat switch gave in. I am going to get a new one. I don't want to spend $100 on one either. I was looking at the Saitek Evo Force. Any suggestions on a new one?

Love the Evo.  Only issue I had was the number of buttons on it.  Eventually it will start spiking though so it may be cheaper to get the X52.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
If you are for the HOTAS setup the one concern I've found with the ST290 series was the lack of a button located away from the 8-way hat. If you are using your thumb to move the hat around it becomes diffficult to press the "look up modifier" while using the hat. One reason why people go to a seperate stick, throttle, pedals (or twisty stick rudders) is because it provides buttons you can press using both hands.

I still use an old CH F-16 Fighterstick (analog), CH Pro Throttle (analog) and 12 (13?) year old TM Pedals which are also analog. A break down of buttons: Stick has 16 buttons + the 8 way hat. The Throttle has 20 buttons + the throttle slider itselff.  Total 36 buttons + the 8-way hat. I use them all. The important part is that my "look up modifier" is located on my throttle. So are my flaps, airbrakes, gear, wep along wiith other things. Because I have secondary but none the less important buttons used on one hand I still have my thumb on top of the stick on the 8-way hat. I can chose wep, flaps, gear (think hog's), look up mod yet never take my thumb off the hat and therefor never, ever lose sight of my opponent.

I never "tell" anyone how to spend their money. I do suggest you already know what you had and you know some of the short comings that came with your last stick. Take your time and look at what you'd really like to have at the price you can afford. There are many sticks out the. Choose wisely.

A comparison....

A round of golf in my area costs approx $45 with a beer or two in the 19th hole. This equates to 3 months of an AH2 subscription.
A decent set of clubs (without shoes, bag, balls, or accessories) cost $400-800.

The X-52 costs around $100-150 depending on where you shop. It might even be had for a lot less.
A CH setup costs $270-300 again it may be had for less.

You mentioned you'e played 4-5 years. That means it appears you've decided (like golf) you're in it for the long run. You might want to think about the one time investment of a good set of clubs (read stick setup here)? It'll last you for years.
:)

Hope this helps.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joystick
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
<--- jealous over Memphis greens fees :t

Offline WaspR2800

• Zinc Member
Joystick
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »
All I can say is I have had two force feedback sticks and I hate them both equally. I do not recommend any force feedback sticks mainly because of the slopp or excessive play and lack of resistance.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm going to shop online for one...I'll probably get an Evo...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

You mentioned you'e played 4-5 years. That means it appears you've decided (like golf) you're in it for the long run. You might want to think about the one time investment of a good set of clubs (read stick setup here)? It'll last you for years.
:)

Hope this helps.

this is for my friends house. I already have a X52 for my house. I just want a cheap one for there.

FlyKommando.com

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »
LOL, Max. Drive another few miles across the State line south and it's $28 a round on a beautiful par 71 Course. Ya gotta watch over for the snakes if you put a ball into the Kudzo....The course is tight and has a creek that runs around and through almost every fairway side.

Back on stick subject.....

For someone new....

Any stick ($10-30) is better than a mouse.
Reasons:
A stick self centers, a mouse doesn't. This means you'll spend more time rolling the mouse around trying to turn and get upright.
A stick input is very precise. A mouse rolls and may be long past the point where you wanted to stop the input.
A stick responds instantly to input commands. A mouse will not.
Most sticks, even the cheap ones, come with an 8-way hat. You don't need to use the keypad for views so you can concentrate on the task at hand....shooting down that bandit.
The same can be said for a throttle. Many incorporate a throttle in the base.

A suggested minimum stick for AH2. Again these can be had inexpensively ($20-40).

A stick with an:

An 8-way hat for views
A Throttle
A stick that has twist stick rudder
Buttons on the base of the joystick so you can press them and not interfere with your using the hat.
A stick with as many buttons on it that you can find.

As I mentioned before the ST series has no buttons on the base...Not the absolute best choice but they do work and folks have worked around the view limitations. In fact, some folks have purchased TrackIr which does away with the requirement for a view hat. I had an IR3Pro but sold it. It's fun for game immersion but I'll wait until the price of googles come down. When I can marry the two I'll buy another TrackIr.  As you can see everyone is different and uses all kinds off different equipment.

The minimums are there just to make you think as you walk down the isle in Fry's or Best Buy or your favorite computer store, looking over a new buy. The nice thing about going down to the store is you can touch and feel the sticks. You may want to look online for the best prices....

If you notice I'm really not mentioning names of sticks. Except for a couple as an example in the previous post and what I use. It was meant to show costs. Reasons I don't is I'm not a rep for anyone and I refuse to tell some new guy to go spend $300 on a set up I haven't flown with. But, I figure a new "ace" isn't planning on spending a $100 since he's not sure if this is the game for him or not. Once the new ace is hooked on just how great a game it is they still have a long road ahead (learning process) and will eventually outgrow the stick they have.

The actual cost for my current setup was $120. I bought directly from CH online, the stick and pro throttle (2 ea.) at fire sale prices when they sold off their analog gear at $20 a pop. I think I paid $80 or so for my TM 12-13 years ago. Hmmm, mighta been longer...There are bargins to be had if you pay attention.

Hope this helps.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

For someone new....

this isnt for my friend...this is for me to use when I am at my friends house.

FlyKommando.com

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 01:01:38 PM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
this isnt for my friend...this is for me to use when I am at my friends house.

Yep, I got that part.

I was adding info for new folks who also will be reading this thread about joysticks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Joystick
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »
Oh ok...srry, missread.

FlyKommando.com

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
NP. You might find out that it's human nature to "revert" back to what you were using for the past 5 years and finding out that button ain't where it's supposed to be on the new stick. :)

I have a backup set of $19 CH pedals I use when my TM peds break and I gotta wait for parts. The CH pedals are like 2 gas pedals. In fact, theres' a switch between the peds that makes em work for cars or planes. THe difference is you press one for left or right rudder. With the TM you push the whole left pedal forward and the right one comes back. When I gotta use the CH peds I end up trying to push the pedals fwd into the wall. It makes me really appreciate my old TM pedals.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
ebay 30.00
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART