Author Topic: 262  (Read 432 times)

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »
It seems I can't fly a 262 without the wingtips ripping off at some point during the fight. It seems like it happens when I turn, and at all speeds.. Is this just a design flaw in the plane? Or am I doing something wrong?

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Considering you get them ripped off at all speeds it is not you...but you may be turning a little too sharp.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »
Think of the 262 as an A-20, only faster and with cannons and no bombs.  If you get over about 500 MPH and yank on the pole, you will rip the wings off.  With the A-20 it's about 400 MPH.  

Everyone seems to initially approach the 262 like it's an F-16 in Falcon 4. "I can go really fast and pull 9 G turns! Woohoo!"  Nope.  I continue to suck in it, but learned real quick that it compresses above 600 KIAS and sheds pieces at high G.  Some can turn fight in it, but I don't recommend doing that in a crowd.

You shouldn't break any wings under 350-400.  One thing you may want to look for is stick spikes in the Y-axis.  It doesn't take much of a bump at high speed to rip a wing off.  It happened to one of my squaddies the other night.  He had a little micro freeze while in a turn and it was enough to snap a wing when it unfroze.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
Originally posted by Auger
One thing you may want to look for is stick spikes in the Y-axis.  It doesn't take much of a bump at high speed to rip a wing off.  It happened to one of my squaddies the other night.  He had a little micro freeze while in a turn and it was enough to snap a wing when it unfroze.

Hmmm... I think that might be what's happening, because I do get occasional micro-freezes. I'll have to pay more attention to that next time it happens.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:04:30 PM »
I trim my elevator to neutral in all airplanes, and leave it there (except in compression).  I've never ripped off my wings in any airplane.  Well, that's not true.  I did it, once, when I was unable to pull out of a high-speed dive before hitting the ground in an Me-262 and I pulled the stick all the way back out of desperation.