Author Topic: Panel Lines and Rivets  (Read 478 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:37:38 PM »
Do you guys make new lines and rivets for each skin you do, or do you use templates for this?
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
Most of us make our own for the first plane of a type (i.e. P51D) then re-use those layers in later skins. Note you can change the blending and effects on these layers to suit each following skin. Doesn't save much time, but it does save time.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 09:04:50 PM »
I see.

Are there any general rules or ideas to follow/use when creating these lines?

As far as I understand it, one traces these panel lines over the default ones (from the 'save default' skin folder) on a new layer.

So, in effect, we simply draw over the existing skin (on new layers of course)?
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:55:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes folks will redo the panel lines from scratch (I did this on a couple) if they feel the default isn't accurate enough. On the other hand I also trace defaults if I feel they're good enough.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
One thing I find helps is to create seperate layers for vertical and horizontal panel lines. This makes it much easier to edit them later. Angled lines I put on whichever one will be easiest to edit.

I also have heavy and light panel line layers. The heavy has stuff like engine, gun and gear hatches, the light has all the panel join lines. The heavy lines get a higher layer opacity than the light.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:21:43 AM »
Thanks Greebo. With regard to the actual Panel Lines themselves, do you use a 1 or 2 pixel line? Do you simply lower the opacity when they're in place or do you use a blurring effect?
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Use 1 pixel, unless it's a special really thick line.

Here's something I do with making certain panel lines darker than others: I just make the panel lines, and once I'm done I add the blending/opacity changes. Then I duplicate that layer, select ONLY what I want to keep, invert my selection, and delete the rest.

That way I can adjust this other layer on top of what I already have to make the gear lines, or that one cowling line, or whatever I need, show up darker.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »
Definitely one pixel. Bear in mind that even a one pixel wide line would be something like an inch across if you scaled it onto the real aircraft.

Krusty's method of duplicating the completed panel line layers then deleting everything but the heavier lines on the new layers is probably a better way than my method.

Just reduce the opacity of the panel line layers after you've finished drawing them. This is really just a trick to make the lines appear narrower than they really are at a distance.

I dont like to blur the panel lines, although I can't avoid anti aliasing the angled and curved ones. I draw the vertical and horizontal lines without anti aliasing to keep them sharp.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:53:24 PM »
IMO anti-aliasing angled lines isn't good because it blurs, and in blurring it makes it thicker/larger/more noticable than if it were a single unblurred (but jagged) line.

This is totally subjective, and some skinners do great things with anti-aliased lines, but I seem to like unblurred more.

I've tried both, and will try blurred again, but often I take a look and think "I'll go with un-aliased lines".

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Panel Lines and Rivets
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 10:06:54 PM »
Much appreciated, gents. Thanks

Raw Prawns
Australia