Author Topic: Symbolic of my night in AvA Thursday  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Symbolic of my night in AvA Thursday
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:17:35 AM »
Had some good scraps with the 109s.  Kinda liked this lucky shot I got after dancing for a bit.

But then there were a couple of HO guys who folks were grumbling about and I took the brunt of it from one of them.  Somehow I got the wreck down on the ground deadstick and in flames, but the guy then shot me on the ground :)

Ahh but they gave me a new plane and I got em back a couple times
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
I had a good time until I lost my UDP, right after Duke slapped me down for the second time. I figured that was a sign that my night was over.

One thing I'd like point out. There was a lot of complaining going on last night. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax.

HO's I see very few, I saw only two attempts at pure HOing on me last night. Hurri IIs both occasions. I was able to avoid both. There are always shots on me I'm tempted to call HO's, but actually just more high angle manuvers, where they get their nose around before I do. Also if I'm chasing a manuvering enemy and somebody comes in to clear him and in my manuvers his angle of attack is straight in my face............... That's the cost of doing business, I should had dispatched his friend quicker.

Ganging, vultching, and other bad behavior. I saw a lot of complaining about this last night as well. When I logged on around 10:00 PM EST it was 13 allied against 8 axis. I went straight to the axis side. The field we were using was being vultched. Nobody complained, the regulars just figured it was a new guy and soon somebody drove him away.  The point i'm making is........ Nobody raised hell on 200 and i never saw that again.

The real complaining was people making accusations of ganging. Every fight I participated in last night started with rougly equal sides, one side or the other would start getting the upper hand. Sometimes the axis ended up winning the battle, sometimes the allies. The last few survivors on  etheir losing side would end up totally outnumbered............ At one point I felt all alone in the world as my C202 was surrounded by red. I did the best I could, but I knew my situation was the result of the other axis around me being shot down, not an overt attempt of ganging. I was the last piece of chicken on the platter in a room full of hungry people. Deal with it, no need to complain.

We have a good thing starting here, if everybody will worry about their own conduct and not look for every little reason to cry foul on 200, this place will continue to improve.

This isn't MA, there just are not that many noobs that fly in the AVA. So when you get shot down, you can pretty well bet it was by a guy that's been flying in AH for a while. He doesn't need to HO, Gang, or Vultch to get kills. You probably made a mistake, or were in a bad position to begin with.

Getting on 200 and accusing people of breaking this rule or that rule is not going to help. Now that rules are posted in the MOTD, that seems to be producing a lot of Sky Lawyers who want to hold court everytime they get shot down. If they are going to post standards of behavior #1 should be Don't scream the sky is falling.

Theres just not a room full of NOOBS that you can wade through and dispatch with no effort like in the big arenas. You have to work for your kills here, and you have to work to survive to land them. There's no easy button folks. That's the beauty of this arena. So let's concentrate on the positive aspects and leave the whines in kiddie pool.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:40 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
We have a good thing starting here, if everybody will worry about their own conduct and not look for every little reason to cry foul on 200, this place will continue to improve.

Good explanation of how the ganging most often occurs, Shifty, and, of course, wonderful advice on how to respond.

This setup is a particularly good test of self-restraint.  Spit 9s and Hurri IICs - especially in combination, and even more so when flown in groups - take extra effort to view as a challenges rather than irritants.  

Because of kids' graduation events I haven't made it on as much as I'd like this week, but it's good to hear that people are generally trying to keep their heads up!

- oldman

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »
Wow another great post!  Well put Shifty :aok

P.S. I also lost UDP at the same time (something went screwy).  And yes I think it was 1Duke1's fault too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:06:33 AM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug
Wow another great post!  Well put Shifty :aok

P.S. I also lost UDP at the same time (something went screwy).  And yes I think it was 1Duke1's fault too.

:rofl :rofl :lol

I think it might be your AV software. I turn it off now before signing in and haven't had that problem since:)

Cheers,
gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »
That was the first time I've lost UDP in moths. I took s a sign from God, that Duke was going to kick my *** the rest of the night, and I might as well go see what Frau Shifty was watching on TV........................... .....

So I could change the channel of course.:D

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »
Getting on 200 and accusing people of breaking this rule or that rule is not going to help. Now that rules are posted in the MOTD, that seems to be producing a lot of Sky Lawyers who want to hold court everytime they get shot down. If they are going to post standards of behavior #1 should be Don't scream the sky is falling.

I felt the MOTD was pretty easily understood a suggestion on game play. Not "Do not HO" "Do not gang". Bit  I have already seen a post in the general whining about people "breaking the rules". Maybe a new draft of what we are trying to get across is needed.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »

This isn't MA, there just are not that many noobs that fly in the AVA. So when you get shot down, you can pretty well bet it was by a guy that's been flying in AH for a while. He doesn't need to HO, Gang, or Vultch to get kills. You probably made a mistake, or were in a bad position to begin with.

Tell that to Slash27 in his Bf-110-G

Tell that to 1Duke1 in his Bf-109

I was involved in a 3 Vs.1 and Got HO'ed by all three of them.If a person is jumped by 3 enemy planes the one plane will HO shoot, any shoot to get out of the 3 Vs. 1 situation.The 3 enemy planes take that as it's OK for us to do it as well since the 1 plane is.

I mean hey everybody it's a GAME all day long, but if yer gonna say how you don't HO and gang and vulch and are a gentlemen in the AvA, and abide by whats written on the MOTD then at least have the sense to act like it.

On another note we have been promoting game play in this arena all week long starting on sunday and have had 20 + players in there every nite all complaining of the good fights they have been having and how long they have been looking for a good fight.This arena can make a comeback but not if everyone talks  about fair gameplay then does the opposite.

:aok

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
I felt the MOTD was pretty easily understood a suggestion on game play. Not "Do not HO" "Do not gang". Bit  I have already seen a post in the general whining about people "breaking the rules". Maybe a new draft of what we are trying to get across is needed.

I don't know how much more you guys can do. There has to be effort by the AVA community for this to work. I'm not talking about some great big lumbering strain on anybody, just a little self discipline. Sometimes we need to just squelch ourselve's
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:16:06 AM by Shifty »

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

Huh?:confused:
Duke

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »
What shouldn't happen, but does, is that once someone gets HO'd or ganged in their opinion, the general response is to do it right back which gets the cycle going again.

It's still my choice not to engage in that kind of flying.  

If there is one guy pushing the HO's or whatever, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

The fights were still great fun
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
Tell that to Slash27 in his Bf-110-G

I was involved in a 3 Vs.1 and Got HO'ed by all three of them.If a person is jumped by 3 enemy planes the one plane will HO shoot, any shoot to get out of the 3 Vs. 1 situation.The 3 enemy planes take that as it's OK for us to do it as well since the 1 plane is.

I mean hey everybody it's a GAME all day long, but if yer gonna say how you don't HO and gang and vulch and are a gentlemen in the AvA, and abide by whats written on the MOTD then at least have the sense to act like it.

On another note we have been promoting game play in this arena all week long starting on sunday and have had 20 + players in there every nite all complaining of the good fights they have been having and how long they have been looking for a good fight.This arena can make a comeback but not if everyone talks  about fair gameplay then does the opposite.

:aok

I'm not saying they never have, but I have never been HO'd by Slash or Duke.  They don't need to. Throwing out names and accusations is exactly what we don't need on 200, or in the forums.

Look at Guppys screenshot.

Great high angle kill on that 109. Reverse positions of the camera looking from the 109 pilots vantage point, it very well could look like a HO.

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 11:29:30 AM »
i had alot of fun in the AvA also last night every fight we stubbled into was a good fight. all though i am one who cried wolf once but it did kind of seem like alittle over kill using 10 109s on 3 low p40's but it turn out to be a fun little fight i last alot longer than i expected overall game play was very enjoyable none of the usual "dweebie" things you see in the MA's i think im going to start flying in there more was really alot of fun
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »
Glad to see you'll be in more Jim.:aok

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »
yeah ill have to check the roster to see if your on each time so ill know to keep an eye on my 6 for that sneaky 202 of yours :D
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903