Author Topic: CMs meet the Skinners  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
There are at least two communities here that work to better the game outside of what HTC has provided.

The Campaign Managers and the Skinners.

Why cannot the two get togather and cooperate to bring more realism to Scenarios.

It is my understanding that maps can have built in 'default' skins.

Why don't the CMs get with the skinners and have these skins built for the scenarios?

An RAF Marlet would have been good for Husky for example.  So would have JU88s, 109G2s, P-38s, etc etc for all the squadrons/groups/gruppen involved.

Also there are several planes which have openings still.  Skins can be submitted for those that would also contribute to the scenario.  They can be removed if the total numbers reach 15.  Or for those that are full skins can be replaced temporarily for the duration of the scenario as required.

Timing is a key.  We are supposed to get twice monthly skin updates and some skins can be churnedo out rather quickly, so a little work and cooperation would go a long way.

Anyone see a problem with starting to do this?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
its up to htc to add the skins as there made.  

marrying skins to a map can be done ... but that way replaces the default skins and sets the map up for that particular scenario only ... we try to get more milage out of the maps then that.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
Not so much, Roo... even if the defaults are replaced, the downloadable ones are still available.

A bigger concern is the amount of memory space a few skins add to the download size of a terrain... figure an extra megabyte per skin.

Not a bad idea, Fencer... and you will notice that several of our maps do indeed have custom skins... but ideally there are still many "download" slots still available for more skins, it would be great to see those taken up first.

Per your TBM example... how many downloadable skins are there now? Something like 5, isn't it?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
its up to htc to add the skins as there made.  

marrying skins to a map can be done ... but that way replaces the default skins and sets the map up for that particular scenario only ... we try to get more milage out of the maps then that.

I know how the skins are done Roscoroo.  Thanks though for the reminder.

I do not see why with 3 scenarios a year that the map could not be rebuilt for the next scenario.  Is it that hard of a process?

Originally posted by Dux

Not so much, Roo... even if the defaults are replaced, the downloadable ones are still available.

A bigger concern is the amount of memory space a few skins add to the download size of a terrain... figure an extra megabyte per skin.

Not a bad idea, Fencer... and you will notice that several of our maps do indeed have custom skins... but ideally there are still many "download" slots still available for more skins, it would be great to see those taken up first.

Per your TBM example... how many downloadable skins are there now? Something like 5, isn't it?

Well what is a few more MBs when it will add to the immersion.

Yes I realize there are many openings, but the inclusion of a representative skin for the map would allow good screen captures from the films of the actual fights.  

A small detail but again, it would help the advertising of the events if it actually looked like G2s are fighting Marlets instead of US Navy F4Fs.

Again, I ask, would it be possible to start coordinating the addition of skins to aid in the immersion during the scenarios.  :aok
Fencer

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
It's absolutely possible. If it's important to people, then we'll try to accomodate... simple as that. :)

No promises on the "rebuild 3 times a year" part though... we need to move on to new terrains with our small crew. and hopefully we'd use different terrains in our scenarios for any given year.
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »
I appreciate the map work you guys do Dux.  The Italy terrain and the Japan terrain are very well done in particular.

When adding a default skin, it is not necessary to redo the entire map is it?  Would that not be putting a file and a pointer in there when compiling the map? I have no clue on how this is done in AH I did maps for AW but they were alot simpler.

I don't know how important to people it is, I am just broaching the topic for discussion.  Without a doubt it would add to the realism in the scenarios.
Fencer

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
When I say "redo" it's not so much us as it is Skuzzy... he's the one who needs to recompile the maps and do all the checks and make them work on each server. Yes, we just replace or add a file to the texsrc folder, but it means another terrain for Skuzz and another map for all the players to download yet again.

This is not a new idea to us, Fencer... most of our terrains have had custom skins to some degree... Rangoon and Okinawa especially... but since the last update rendered almost all of that work as obsolete, we have to start over.

"A few more megabytes" usually means on top of 20 megabytes already worth of retextured terrain tiles and whatnot... we're not talking small terrains anymore.

But still... we can always add skins that are critical to a scenario. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Just a funny little side note here... before Husky started, the subject of skins came up in the Axis forum. Someone asked which skins we have were appropriate to the scenario, and others responded naming units and markings of the skins we have available.

More than half of the people who took part in that thread stated that they didn't care, and were going to use their "favorite" skin anyway... their own personal "look at me!" statement, I guess. :)

Nothing really to do with the above discussion, but I thought it was an odd attitude to have during an event. Personalization makes sense in the MA, but you would think that Scenario participants would rather be part of the team, and immerse themselves in the historical aspect of it all. I guess not everyone does. :(
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
I had issues DLing Italy to walk-on Saturday, which resulted in me finally getting into the arena 25 mins before starting, and therefore I didn't have time to check units or skins. Once the logs came out, I started looking at the groups and trying to sort out which skins I "needed" (and were already available), and DLed them the other night.

To me, it's just one of those little things that adds to the overall feeling of immersion. While the little details themselves don't affect much, when you get enough of them, they can. I'm primarily an MA guy, but in the spec events, it's fun to lose yourself in your little geek alterego for a bit.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I had issues DLing Italy to walk-on Saturday, which resulted in me finally getting into the arena 25 mins before starting, and therefore I didn't have time to check units or skins. Once the logs came out, I started looking at the groups and trying to sort out which skins I "needed" (and were already available), and DLed them the other night.

To me, it's just one of those little things that adds to the overall feeling of immersion. While the little details themselves don't affect much, when you get enough of them, they can. I'm primarily an MA guy, but in the spec events, it's fun to lose yourself in your little geek alterego for a bit.

Agreeing with hub, if you can believe that! :)

For us history junkies, looking off your wing and seeing the correct markings for the group you are in, really adds to it.

I suppose if you have little to no clue about the units, it doesn't matter, but it's strange to see a pacific marked bird flying in an ETO based event etc.

I do believe it's up to the GLs to teach a little history to the guys in their group.  For me in the past scenarios in AW that was half the fun, getting into the roll so to speak and getting the guys to understand who they were representing.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Agreeing with hub, if you can believe that! :)

For us history junkies, looking off your wing and seeing the correct markings for the group you are in, really adds to it.

I suppose if you have little to no clue about the units, it doesn't matter, but it's strange to see a pacific marked bird flying in an ETO based event etc.

I do believe it's up to the GLs to teach a little history to the guys in their group.  For me in the past scenarios in AW that was half the fun, getting into the roll so to speak and getting the guys to understand who they were representing.

For alot of the scenario's I've always posted up links and or films that are historical based for everyones enjoyment ... I just point guys in the direction but dont force the guys to pay attention in class :D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »
Skins.....so very important to many of us....I would assume more so to the older generation of virtual combat Pilots.  

Scenarios are special....and treated as such.  I fly scenarios for many reasons....team play, virtual REALITY, and to fly with opponents I usually have combat with in the MA's.  But to me...a peave of mine is seeing an aircraft in a scenario....whose Pilot was told to select the proper aircraft from the Hangar and refuses to do so.  Appears to be a plea for " Hey Lookit Me!"  To bad killshooter is on or he'd be back in the Tower.

In operation Husky the 14th all upped in the proper skinned P38G.  To me it showed a respect for the time, and the willingness to participate as a squad mate.

If a player is instructed by a GL or FL to load a specific skin and he/she doesn't do so.....they shouldn't be able to participate.  To me it proves they aren't a team player and know little if anything about air combat during WWII or the respect thereof.  Also if they refuse to up the proper craft how would they be trusted to perform their assigned task or follow orders from their FL or GL?

Off Soap Box
Hajo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:36:28 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
What if the player doesn't download skins? Due to FR issues?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
He can download one.  The one he needs.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
CMs meet the Skinners
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 03:36:16 PM »
But some people cant and turn off skins in game because they cant run the game with skins on due to FR. For instance Bipolar2 couldn't have skins on cause of his FR, should he be penalized by not being able to up due to computer problems?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA