Author Topic: Farewell my fellow AH'ers  (Read 1274 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Farewell my fellow AH'ers
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
Take care V. Best of luck.  You'll do fine.  Make us proud.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »
Originally posted by Movie
Any 1 know whats necessary to become a commercial jet liner pilot?

To fly for the airlines you need  pilots license with an ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) rating. That's at least 1200 hrs. of flight time as pilot in command. Having a college degree won't hurt you either. That might be enough to get you in the door with a small regional airline. From there it's long hours and little pay as work your way up the ladder and into flying the big iron. Once you reach that level, the airline you work for will file for bankruptcy and you'll lose your retirement and you'll end up working at wallmart because social security doesn't get the bills paid.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline P47Gra

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »
KTM dont bash the airlines.  They took in the arse after 911 and could not recover.  Yeah the pensions suck but let this be a lesson to everyone.  Dont trust pensions save your own money for retirement.  And if you want to know how to get there here is the steps I took

First,  Get your private and fly around with it a while.  See if it is what you want to do with your life.  Second, Dont get married.  The life of a commercial pilot is low pay (at first) and long hours.  Trust me not condusive to a marriage.  Third, go to a college that offers a good aviation degree program along with all your ratings to included ALL Certified Flight Instructor ratings.  There are several out there.  I recommend Emery Riddle (expensive but awesome program).  There are several in Texas.  I went to University of Central Texas in Killeen received a Bachelors of Science with all ratings.  I flew in Alaska for 2 years as a bushy then was laid off with out transport back to the lower states.  Decided I did not want to continue with commercial aviation.  If you want to build multi time get in with a buyer and seller of planes and offer your time in the right seat free of charge.  after a while you will get there dont give up.  Now a CFI and own a ranch.  Love every minute of it.  If you want more information look on the web.  You will find more than you wanted to know.  Hope this helps.

Hopeless in Montana.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:12:50 PM by P47Gra »

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »
Good Luck, Daniel!

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
Good luck and thanks for the service. On a side note  Embry Riddle is about 10 mins away from me.
"strafing"

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
VVV. good luck and stay motivated!!

ps.  try calling HTC or emailing the and ask to freeze your account till you get back. i did that when i went to boot camp and they did it for me.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
Greetings,

Good luck and congratulations on a good choice.  I am an ol' retired f00rt myself (Army tho).  Take courses when you can, most ships offer internet courses and what else ya gonna do while at sea - ain't like it's a cruise ship! ;)

I made the mistake of listening to my peers about wanting a commission and didn't go to West Point Prep School.  Don't listen to them.  Follow your dream and don't let them talk you out of it.  (For the record, I did get the commission later, once I smartened up!)

The service is a great life, the rules are easy.  1) Do what your boss wants and 2) Do it when you're told.  Assuming it is legal, moral and ethical of course.

Have fun and good luck

Regards,
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:35:49 PM by MWL »

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
Best of luck to you.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »
VVV! Good luck and thanks for your service.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 07:14:34 PM »
good luck

Offline jeebusro

• Zinc Member
      • http://isawsome.net
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Good news, you can go to college for free (minus books) with tuition assistance at some online unis, then move to ER when you're done. Also make sure you get the GI bill (with the top up). You play your cards right you can get all your college totally free!

Offline Magellan

• Zinc Member
Re: Farewell my fellow AH'ers
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »
Originally posted by VVV
I enlisted in to the U.S. Navy. I will be a Aviation Structural Mechanic...snip

Congrats, and remember the pointy end goes forward.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »
What all these other guys said.

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »
Good Luck and Thanks!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »
Originally posted by P47Gra
KTM dont bash the airlines.  They took in the arse after 911 and could not recover.  Yeah the pensions suck but let this be a lesson to everyone.  Dont trust pensions save your own money for retirement.  And if you want to know how to get there here is the steps I took

Hopeless in Montana.

You can't blame everything on 9-11. The airlines were already headed down that path. And your right, I shouldn't bash the airlines. I'm an A&P mechanic and the aviation industry pays my rent.

Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.