Author Topic: Score & Rank: Completely useless info  (Read 6396 times)

Offline halcyon

• Copper Member
Score & Rank: Completely useless info
« on: June 25, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »
I see a lot of people posting stuff with reference to "losing kills" or "getting my rank lower" or "my score is higher then yours."

I'd just like to say, score and rank mean absolutely jack in this game.
Your rank does not prove you're a better pilot then anyone else, same goes for score.
I'm really tired of people trash talking others and then pulling out the inevitable, "I've got the higher rank so I'm better." I know plenty of pilots that have ranks in the thousands that can cream some in the hundreds.

Score and rank in this game do nothing more then salve the extreme gamer ego, making him feel good because he believes he's better then someone else. Personally I think it puts a dent into the game some, because some people treat it like an arcade and will do anything they can just to boost their own score.

Anyway, just felt like posting this.
Flame on.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »
Depends on how they fly.  Some people have really high k/d but low k/s or low k/t which means they are most likely a cherry picker.  The cherry pickers dont usually have a high k/t or a high k/s.  Those that like to get down in the furball will sometimes have a high k/d but not as high as a cherry picker but will probably have a higher k/s or k/t.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline xBishsquaddie

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »
Originally posted by Hoarach
Depends on how they fly.  Some people have really high k/d but low k/s or low k/t which means they are most likely a cherry picker.  The cherry pickers dont usually have a high k/t or a high k/s.  Those that like to get down in the furball will sometimes have a high k/d but not as high as a cherry picker but will probably have a higher k/s or k/t.

I can attest, this player is tongue-twisted-verbal dweeb as well.  ROFLMAO.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:47:23 PM »
well i  totally agree with you halcyon its only a game but people will get better weather they play alot or not its just practice but if someone brags about it then maybe they shoud face luche or vanscrew to find out how good they realy are.

i fly to get kills but dont fly to brag about it
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
Originally posted by Bosco123
well i  totally agree with you halcyon its only a game but people will get better weather they play alot or not its just practice but if someone brags about it then maybe they shoud face luche or vanscrew to find out how good they realy are.

No one finds out how good he really is by fighting those two players... there are hundreds of better ones to be measured against.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »
Originally posted by Bosco123
luche or vanscrew to find out how good they realy are.

:rofl :lol :rofl :lol :rofl  He said Vanscrew! I though I was gonna fall out of my chair
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
I disagree.  Other than vulching your buddy or your second account getting into the top ranks takes some amount of skill and means you had to fight someone somewhere along the line.

Oh sure, a guy raked in the 2000's might be able to beat up on someone ranked in the top 100 but look more closely at their scores.  The guy in to 2000's might also be a top 2-300 fighter jock while the other is much lower.

If it's so easy and so meaningless then eveyone should be at the top right?

It seems to me the thing that gets so many people charged up about it is that there are so many ways to get there.  Bombing, attack, GV's and fighters plus all the sub-stats contained in each and to get near the top you have to be at least decent in all of them.

The one reason I'll agree a little is that I think the EW/MW scores and the LW scores need to be seperated.  When I fly EW/MW I often find myself beating much higher ranked players, even looking at fighter rank vs fighter rank.  That tells me the competition level isn't generally as high in EW/MW as in LW although I know that there are some very skilled players there at least on occasion.

The other reason I'll agree somewhat is the furballers/base defenders vs. cherry-pickers/vultures difference.  The later group will generally score better than the former, although the former will generally be better pilots.

Milking in EW/MW will also only get you so far.  Eventually you have to fight and win.

I check the scores of people I shoot down and those that shoot me down.  I look at it in ranges of scores.  Is a guy top 50?  top 100?  top 500?  top 1000?  I also check their K/D and K/S because that's usually a pretty good indicator of how good they are.  If you really want to know what a guy has go look at his kill stats in expanded format.  You can see what he fly's and what he attacks and draw a pretty good picture of his fighting style.

Completely useless?  No.  Maybe just grey.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:31:17 PM »
Yes I argee with eagle. KD and KS can tell you alot about a person. 10+ KD means they are eather really really lucky or good at flying timid. On the other side when someone says "Im a better stick then you" and they have less then a 1.0 KD I call thier BS. I fly to kill and only RTB for ammo or fuel I think my KD is around 3 and my KS about 2. Another thing to look at is thier Hit %.

The overall score means nothing because most scorepotatos have really low bomber GV and attack ranks and have crappy fighter. Or fighter and attack swiched.

Only reason I ever try to keep good a good rank is to keep fleets outa retard hands.

(like the ones that try to take a little field with a box around it):rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:34:59 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Yes I argee with eagle. KD and KS can tell you alot about a person. 10+ KD means they are eather really really lucky or good at flying timid. On the other side when someone says "Im a better stick then you" and they have less then a 1.0 KD I call thier BS. I fly to kill and only RTB for ammo or fuel I think my KD is around 3 and my KS about 2. Another thing to look at is thier Hit %.

The overall score means nothing because most scorepotatos have really low bomber GV and attack ranks and have crappy fighter. Or fighter and attack swiched.

Only reason I ever try to keep good a good rank is to keep fleets outa retard hands.

10+ K/D could also mean they only turn up at a field thats being vulched, get their vulches and run home.

Guys who've been playing the game a long time, know who these guys are, and also know the good sticks.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
:rofl :lol :rofl :lol :rofl  He said Vanscrew! I though I was gonna fall out of my chair

I did :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl Maybe he was being sarkastic? :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
Originally posted by Larry

Even hit % is a misnomer -- if ya fly a 50 cal plane you are spraying LOTS of lead, and said % will be lower. Of late, I see lotsa folks flyin K4's and squeezing off individual taters at point blank--always gonna have high% that way
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Score & Rank: Completely useless info
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
Originally posted by halcyon
" I know plenty of pilots that have ranks in the thousands that can cream some in the hundreds.

Let me fix this for you.  You should have said: "I know plenty of pilots that have ranks in the thousands that can cream all in the top 10."  

They guys in the hundrets are a mix so it could be dangerus to fight one of them.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Many good players have kids and wives bugging them while their playing and may have to go afk quite often, which kill their score if their in flight at the time.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: Score & Rank: Completely useless info
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Let me fix this for you.  You should have said: "I know plenty of pilots that have ranks in the thousands that can cream all in the top 10."  

They guys in the hundrets are a mix so it could be dangerus to fight one of them.

:rofl

So a #150 guy could be a dangerous enemy but a top 10 can not?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 02:57:56 PM »
I do disagree.. Score can be a quick reference for people to see if that person is a aggressive our passive pilot. It can also be a quick reference for in flight check to see if the person you have just shot down has any idea what they are doing. take for instance my score. I dont have a high KD in fighter but what i do have is a high KT time. This shows me that i have been doing base protection and not that many landings in fighter.

If you have under a 2 KD in my book shows me that your air combat skills need to be better.

Tour 89 Fighter Scores for FX1
                                  Score   Rank  
Kills per Death + 1        6.54 59
Kills per Sortie              3.86 15
Kills per Hour of Flight 21.20 5
Kills Hit Percentage     16.31 25
Kill Points              22475.34 330