Author Topic: Top ranked players actually s***  (Read 1794 times)

Offline brule2

• Zinc Member
Top Scorers
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
Just a thought on the top ranked pilot discussion,when i fly, i try to land.This adds a little bit of realism to me.Flying and attacking when the odds are way out of your favor,quickly turns into a game of doom or the like.If your called a cherry picker for chosing your time and place to attack,i think your more in line with what real pilots did in ww2,if you always seek the advantage, then excuse me but aren,t you closer to the actually ww2 experience.What is it that makes you a good pilot,great skills or great decision making.In my book its decisison making,so if you can beat a pilot in a dual ,good on yah ,but in my opinion it doesn,t make you a good pilot.

Attacking and killing AND landing makes you a good pilot,bombing when you are needed  and landing makes you a good pilot, milk runners and furballers...well to me there not.Just my 2 cents

AULD  ole AW pilot called BRULE

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Top ranked players actually s***
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 04:30:36 PM by Husky01 »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: Top ranked players actually s***
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
That means the 600th ranked fighter pilot would be in the top 10% of all players.  By extension, he should be able to beat 9 out of 10 opponents he comes across, thus carrying a 9:1 K/D ratio (negligably less because of the plus one but we'll ignore that for purposes of this discussion).

By theroy and extension then, if the 600th player should average 4.5:1 K/D then the 60th player should be at 45:1 and the 6th ranked pilot at 450:1. Finally the top ranked players K/D should equal his # of kills.

If you are a top ranked pilot and aren't near these numbers, then you must actually s*** and the further you are from these numbers the worse you s***. The Bell curve theory simply makes these numbers worse the higher up the rankings you go.
Serious flaw in your logic.  Why would a player ranked in the top 1% have to be ten times better than the person ranked in the 10% range?  No rating/ranking system on earth presumes that the "best" in the ranking always defeats all comers 100% of the time.

To use your logic, a Heavyweight Champion boxer with a 48 win 2 loss record really "sucks" because he actually suffered a those two losses.  The only way he could possibly be the best is if he is undefeated -- which is just foolish.

It is impossible to mathematically prove who is the best pilot.  There are simply too many variables in a population this large.  Thus, there is no point in trying.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline TUXC

• Copper Member
Top ranked players actually s***
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »
The other flaw is that he didn't take into account that deaths while in a fighter can come from ack, bombers, planes flying in attack mode, gvs, crashing, and discos which have nothing to do with other fighter pilots and their K/D ratios.
Tuxc123

JG11

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Top Scorers
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
Originally posted by brule2
Just a thought on the top ranked pilot discussion,when i fly, i try to land.This adds a little bit of realism to me.Flying and attacking when the odds are way out of your favor,quickly turns into a game of doom or the like.If your called a cherry picker for chosing your time and place to attack,i think your more in line with what real pilots did in ww2,if you always seek the advantage, then excuse me but aren,t you closer to the actually ww2 experience.What is it that makes you a good pilot,great skills or great decision making.In my book its decisison making,so if you can beat a pilot in a dual ,good on yah ,but in my opinion it doesn,t make you a good pilot.

Attacking and killing AND landing makes you a good pilot,bombing when you are needed  and landing makes you a good pilot, milk runners and furballers...well to me there not.Just my 2 cents

Yup, for some that is what makes the game fun. Making all the right decisions at all the right times in air combat guarentees success no matter what the context. Being an especially good stick and/or good shot just means you are more likely to still be successfull even if you make bad decisions. You will always have the chance to pull some great moves or a crazy high deflection shot out of your bag to potentially undo the damage caused by flawed decision making.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Top ranked players actually s***
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
Serious flaw in your logic.  Why would a player ranked in the top 1% have to be ten times better than the person ranked in the 10% range?  

Whoops, he caught another one.  This one looks to have swallowed the hook.  Medic!!!!!!!

:D       :aok

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
Directed at the original poster. One serious flaw with your determination of K/D as a measure of skill, aside from the fact the majority fly suicidally, is the fact that the higher ranked, presumably more experienced, if not skilled, players tend to log alot more playtime than the unskilled ones. So, your fancifull notion of some sort of even distribution across the spectrum of rankage is a fairy tale. The top 500 people log more time than the bottom 5500 people. So, the chances of any person encountering someone above them on the mythical skill/fighter rank ladder is in reality alot higher than your theory of random and equal distribution suggests accounting for the much more muffled K/D totals at all levels than you propose.

Furthermore, the most skilled players in fighter tend to primarily furball. The less skilled tend to vulch/horde bases for the land-grab missions. So, if all you do is furball you're going to encounter a disproportionately higher percentage of talent. If all you do is dogpile on the lemming horde bang missions , on defense or offense, you're not going to encounter the same high caliber of talent.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:36:01 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
Hmm

Shawk has been in the top two forever. Not only can he fight but in one camp he had a 186 kd. No ditches bails our deaths and also a high KT.

Try that some day. I did but got shot down at kill 75..

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
Geez... Bald you are gonna have to start using more stinky bait... you've bagged your limit already.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
Hmm

Shawk has been in the top two forever. Not only can he fight but in one camp he had a 186 kd. No ditches bails our deaths and also a high KT.

Try that some day. I did but got shot down at kill 75..

Get a horde err squad of shawklets to help you and it's quite doable.  Kill the ack, return in a chog, vulch and cherry to your hearts' content.  I've witnessed his MO first hand.  
That said, Shawk has other MA attributes that most don't mention: he is always scouring the skies for enemy and is very generous with his enemy calls.  He's also a pretty darned good shot. :)   He's the queen of all scorepotatos, but I love that little mullet guy.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
I for one up from capped bases. Doesn't reflect my skill level but hard headed-ness.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »

this is one of the funnest remarks of piloting skillz i ever read.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »

Of late, I've been upping and taking jug 13k-15k or so to the middle of biggest red dar bar---1st priority being to get home alive..it's fun, but I haven't been getting home near as much,nor getting as many kills:(   Was thinkin about that as I watch nits roll over southern rook land last night in blue...HOW much fun can it be to fly in a 50 plane horde with no visible enemy to shoot at?(Apparently it DOES help k/d...)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 06:51:35 PM »
lawL he said shawklets :lol
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 07:06:49 PM »
IMO there is NOT 1 stat that can determine whether a guy is a good or bad pilot. Way to many variables. If you look at a guys score to make your determination then your not a very smart person. If you have flown AH for more than a few months you learn who is good or not so good by just playing the game. I know which players can fly these cartoon planes good and who isn't so good. There stats don't mean squat to me.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH