Author Topic: Back on that again  (Read 617 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Back on that again
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
Can we do "which is the best plane to learn in again"?

In defence I like the Spit 16 (not just to annoy people) and the Spit 8.

In atack the P51D cos it goes along way fast and you can get away if you dont go to low.

Can anyone tell me what they think is the best soloution to the best plane to start in problem and why.

Perhaps people could share some of their experiences of the early months and the things they did right and those they wouldn t do again.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Back on that again
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Can anyone tell me what they think is the best soloution to the best plane to start in problem and why.

No.

Because it's not cut and dried. It depends on whatever-the-hell you know how to fly, and what you want to get the job done, and whether you're willing to sacrifice comfort for (i.e.) the ability to carry more bombs than your normal ride.

So, no. Sorry. Can't help you. The answer is "anything" with a bit of "everything" thrown in.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Back on that again
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
No.

Because it's not cut and dried. It depends on whatever-the-hell you know how to fly, and what you want to get the job done, and whether you're willing to sacrifice comfort for (i.e.) the ability to carry more bombs than your normal ride.

So, no. Sorry. Can't help you. The answer is "anything" with a bit of "everything" thrown in.

Come on you know what I mean!!

To learn the basic skills and shoot people down, maybe Iam not being specific enough. Fighter to fighter stuff, the difficult stuff, taking on 3 other reasonable pilots in a dog fight and shooting them all down followed by a victory roll over their smoking remains  :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Back on that again
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »
Well I forced 3 out of 12 folks on my 6 to auger (got proxies on them) last night in a C202. Doesn't mean that it's great to learn in :D

You have to pick the plane you like, or the one you historically are interested in, or the one you dreamt about as a kid. Whatever you pick you can get good in (except for the P40! blech! :t ), so it's a matter of making a decision.

What kind of a person are you? Are you a spitfire lover? Guppy, for example, loves P-38s. Gianlupo loves Ki84s. Find what you like and practice. Just....

Don't be afraid to learn other planes besides the one you love. It will help in the long run.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Back on that again
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
I like the Spit and the P51 :aok

Thanks Krusty;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Back on that again
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Don't forget that the P51 can also dogfight (it's not just a bomber). Also try the P-51B, and the other spits. You might enjoy the Spit5. Avoid the spitXIV (14) for a while, it's not modeled as a spitfire in this game.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Back on that again
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:14 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Avoid the spitXIV (14) for a while, it's not modeled as a spitfire in this game.

How do you mean?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Back on that again
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
Take it up and see. I'd suggest the DA, TA, or offline if you don't have 16 perks to lose.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Back on that again
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »
I was recomended to try the spit8 and I can still say its one of my favorite rides.  It's a forgiving bird to learn ACM's in, the cannons are grade A, it climbs well, it turns fine, it can handle high speeds.  Not much to hate.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Back on that again
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
Most trainers tend to recommend learning in the Spit8. It is forgiving enough to learn the very basics in but performs well enough to be competitive in the MA. It can also be successful without worrying about flaps, trim, or even rudder for the most part so it allows beginners to concentrate on basic flying, SA, and tactics.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Whitten

• Zinc Member
Back on that again
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »
I personally like the FM-2 since my style of fighting is TnB. The FM-2 is slow but it's a nasty little turn fighter. It can out turn most planes in AH with full flaps except Hurricaines, Zeros, the Bf 109E-4, Spit 1, and Spit 5. What truly makes the FM-2 a wonderful aircraft is it's stability at all speeds, especially low speeds. I have little to no difficulty flying on the edge of the flight envelope. The FM-2 provides plenty of warning before stalling and if it does stall, it's rare that I have to do more than simply relieve pressure form the stick to recover. So I definitely recommend flying the FM-2 to learn TnB fighting.
Game ID: Jennifer
MA Squad: ~~~FATE~~~

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Back on that again
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
Originally posted by Whitten
.... It can out turn most planes in AH with full flaps....

And that is the point of trying a spitfire as your first plane to learn in. When to use and not use flaps is further down the road.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Trog

• Nickel Member
Back on that again
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
I would fit the plane to the personality of the player.

Turn and burner type =Spit 8 or Spit 16
Spit 8 turns better, but the spixteen is a killer with those 50's and cannons.

BnZer and slasher type= 51D or Typhoon
51 has great visibilty and is easy to fly, but the typhoon allows for a quick shot kill and lines up easy, helps with confidence for newer player.
Trog
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Back on that again
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
Originally posted by Trog
I would fit the plane to the personality of the player.

Turn and burner type =Spit 8 or Spit 16
Spit 8 turns better, but the spixteen is a killer with those 50's and cannons.

BnZer and slasher type= 51D or Typhoon
51 has great visibilty and is easy to fly, but the typhoon allows for a quick shot kill and lines up easy, helps with confidence for newer player.

One thing to consider: a new player in his first days of AH2 hasn't developed a personality yet.

Like Hammer already said, best is to give him a allround plane thats easy to fly, forgiving yet competitive. We "advanced" players tend sometimes forget about the sensor overload a new player suffers in his first weeks. All this info, the icons, the talk about "judging his energy", what is a goon? How do I use radio and map??...

And the Spit8 and 16 are not exactly burn & turn planes.
They turn quite well, but they also hold their E and accelerate & climb very good, so they do fit both playing styles. And that is what makes the Spit 8 a good beginner plane: Once you have mastered the flight basics, you can start to develop a preference for one type of fighting while still in the Spit. Once you do know what you like more, you can move on to true TnB or BnZ planes.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Whitten

• Zinc Member
Back on that again
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 08:48:03 PM »
And that is the point of trying a spitfire as your first plane to learn in. When to use and not use flaps is further down the road.
You're right Hammer, but even with no flaps, you got to admit, the FM-2 is still has a tight turn radius and is very stable. Personally I got rather frustrated trying to learn to turn fight in Spits because, for me at least, they tended to stall easier and recovery was generally more tedious. That is why I found the FM-2 so appealing.  :)
Game ID: Jennifer
MA Squad: ~~~FATE~~~