Author Topic: Night Fighters  (Read 922 times)

Offline CAF51

• Copper Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:34 PM »
P 61 would be fun with the turret and all, nice fighter bomber with a little more defence

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
And yet the 110G, relegated to the lowest job of all in the war, bomber destroyer, is quite nimble and one of the more lethal dogfighting planes in this game.

And it's performance in the game seems to be far and above it's historical performance during the war where it was often outclassed by the single engine fighters it encountered over Europe.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
The way it was used in the BOB is drastically different from how it is used in AH. If a hurricane 1 gets behind it at 300 yards it's dead, just as in the BOB. Only most folks fly it to the point where they don't let that happen (or bug out if the hurricane is 1k out).

I agree it's a little over-modeled (as is the hurricane), but I think a lot of it is how the LW forced the 110s to fly close bomber formation historically, more than the way AH has it modeled.

EDIT: My point stands, it doesn't have to be a spitfire. Ta152 is about one of THE worst planes in the game, but still quite fun to fly for the guns package.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »
110s got manhandled even when on fighter sweeps when unhampered by bombers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »
From memory, because the tactic of the time was to turn fight the enemy.

Most times I see the 110 winning an AH historical setup is by using its top speed, diving, zooming, and looping, rather than turning.

Like I said, I agree it's overmodeled, but I think most of the combat effectiveness is in how we (the players) use it.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Ta152 is about one of THE worst planes in the game, but still quite fun to fly for the guns package.

Ta-152 would still be a good high altitude buff hunter for a pilot with some patience.  My problem with the Ta152 is it's "glass nose" --- 1 ping almost always results in an engine seizing up in short order.  Worse even than all the pilot wounds I pick up in Ki-84's.  

Ping....bang....then I only hear the wind as I now get to play with an over-armed sailplane.

Offline Ace8765

• Zinc Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 10:59:05 PM »
what about the Me-210 and 410?
They were used as night fighters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Night Fighters
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
O .....so these would be more planes for the noobs to HO me with.
The current Mossie is so watered down, it is like Kool-Aid when compared to the Guinness it SHOULD BE.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC