Author Topic: my floor mistakes  (Read 431 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
my floor mistakes
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
Originally posted by storch
go get some muriatic acid and dilute it 50%.  with a paint brush drop the solution onto the work.  it will dissolve the concrete based product rapidly.  keep a bucket of water and some baking soda nearby to neutralize the acid and to stop the reaction when you are satisfied.  you will need a good quality respirator make sure all the windows are open and run some fans.

all the best, and blame txdad.

Sounds scary. respirator, determining when the chemical reaction should be stopped & neutralized?  Sorry, not brave enough for that portion I think. I'll have to keep drilling.

My son is sick today. :(
Upside of that is he'll spend all day in his bed, and I can spend a full day working on the floor instead of nickel & diming it all week long after the workday.:)

LOL about blaming TxDad  ~ can't do that this time.
*flashback*

~ me saying to him
"Just trust me & lets get it done..."

~him saying to me
"this ain't gonna work..."

~me nagging.
"come on... lets just get it done..."

p.s. Xargos: thanks again! *grin*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:44:24 AM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
my floor mistakes
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
I feel your pain TXmom

We're redoing the kitchen.  Our original arrangement when we started redoing the house room by room is that I will cook all the meals, do all of the outside work, feed the 4 kids breakfast and dinner, and all the heavy lifting, electrical, plumbing, and power tool work.  

So week before last I took pity on her having to scrape 3 layers of wallpaper off and started helping.  Got the wallpaper off and started painting.  Keep in mind the kitchen is 400 sq ft.

Got it painted on Saturday evening and she decides to case the kitchen windows.  Sunday morning she decides that the door casings just look out of place and goes to replace them.  Do you want to know what happens to latex paint when you pull a door casing off without running a razor blade under the edge?

A HUGE FREAKING STRIP OF THE LATEX COMES OFF THE WALL THAT YOU JUST PAINTED.

I looked at her, smiled through gritted teeth, and said 'let me take the door casings off honey'.

But we got er done.  

Want to come up and help us lay the tile? :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

storch

my floor mistakes
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
it's not that big of a risk.  the muriatic acid dissolves the lime in the concrete very rapidly but it does produce nasty fumes.  it works very rapidly and effectively but I can understand your apprehension.  it's a trade trick for cleaning up grouty messes.

our home projects often sounded the same but I still shouldered the brunt of the blame anyway so good for you for being stand up about it.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
my floor mistakes
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
Lucy would make a nice squad art for ya TxM.

:D I do like Lucy very much.  Sassy little gal.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac