Author Topic: small game hunting  (Read 760 times)

storch

small game hunting
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »
biggest critter I have killed with my .177 cal pellet gun was a male raccoon with a very nice head shot.  ducks, doves, squirrels, rabbits rats and mice have all fallen victim to the great accuracy of my benjamin and now my gamo pellets guns.  I shoot the excellent gamo manufactured magnum pointed pellets.  they hit a ton and are very accurate.  

http://www.gamo.com

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:07:03 PM »
I can't help but wonder if one calling themself ariansworld is mocking or self-indulging. Perhaps both?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
Originally posted by storch
biggest critter I have killed with my .177 cal pellet gun was a male raccoon with a very nice head shot.  ducks, doves, squirrels, rabbits rats and mice have all fallen victim to the great accuracy of my benjamin and now my gamo pellets guns.  I shoot the excellent gamo manufactured magnum pointed pellets.  they hit a ton and are very accurate.  

I am thinking about going with the Tomahawk pointed hollow point,  will that work good enough for squirrels?

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »
Are squirrels in season where you are?

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:17 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Are squirrels in season where you are?

They are coming up onto my deck and being pests.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »
What do they do to pester you?  I assume they're on the deck, which is outside, while you are inside.  When you go outside they go away.

Are you sure you're not shooting them just because they're there and you can?

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
small game hunting
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 09:51:48 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
What do they do to pester you?  I assume they're on the deck, which is outside, while you are inside.  When you go outside they go away.

Are you sure you're not shooting them just because they're there and you can?

Why shouldn't he Golfer? It's his back yard and his deck.

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
Just because a Deer walks into the yard in the middle of July doesn't mean I can shoot it.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
small game hunting
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »

"you  may be a redneck"

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Re: small game hunting
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »
Originally posted by ariansworld
Are there any small game hunters out there that use an air rifle?  

I have killed 2 squirrels and 1 pigeon today using a .177 cal air rifle with wad cutter pellets (I think).
Currently I am shooting them off my deck,  does anyone know of good baits to use to attract squirrels and pigeons.

Thanks

Hunting with and air rifle is illegal in Texas.

Also, unless it's a true nuisance animal on your property, if you kill it you ought to grill it.

storch

small game hunting
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
I am thinking about going with the Tomahawk pointed hollow point,  will that work good enough for squirrels?
I've never used them so I can't comment.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »

If you use a hollow point bullet, go for head shots. Gut shots with a hollow point are just plain nasty. Hit them in the shoulders or hips and half the meat is gone or inedible due to bone fragments.

*edit* Hollow point bullets do some serious, serious damage compared to some other types simply because the nose of the bullet expands very fast on impact.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:08:07 AM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie
*edit* Hollow point bullets do some serious, serious damage compared to some other types simply because the nose of the bullet expands very fast on impact.

Next time I am out, I will be picking some of these up.
I am hoping they wont tear my pellet trap up either.

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
small game hunting
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:15 AM »
Arian, The best ammo to use is whatever shoots best in your gun. The only way to determine that is to try out a bunch of different pellets and see what groups best.

As for power, wadcutters tend to lose energy very fast and are OK at short range but not much good at longer ranges. Diabolo (round nose) pellets tend to retain energy better than wadcutters or pointed pellets. These are usually the best from longer range shots.

Also, if you gun has enough power you can try some heavier pellets like the crosman premier heavy or JSB exact heavy. These will shoot slower but carry a bigger thump downrange.

If you are having accuracy problems make sure the scope is mounted tightly to the gun. On springers you often need a scope stop or a one piece mount. As the  reverse recoil from the spring can cause the mount to "creep." Also, springers require an airgun scope. As the spring recoil can loosen the optics in a standard scope.

If the scope is fine, make sure the action is tight in the stock. If its a breakbarrel  check to see that the barrel lockup is tight.

Some cheaper guns need a bit of work before they shoot well. Sometimes its just a matter of picking the right pellets.

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
small game hunting
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 11:23:28 AM »
Sounds like you folks need some of my home-made BBQ Sauce.

Squirrel....the OTHER white meat.

68ROX