Author Topic: small game hunting  (Read 762 times)

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:58:27 PM »
Are there any small game hunters out there that use an air rifle?  

I have killed 2 squirrels and 1 pigeon today using a .177 cal air rifle with wad cutter pellets (I think).
Currently I am shooting them off my deck,  does anyone know of good baits to use to attract squirrels and pigeons.

Thanks

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »
Never ate a pigeon. Do they taste good?

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
or this

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:53 PM »
How do you cook your pigeon?

I prefer to shoot clay pigeons...

I guess they're not teaching shoot only what you will eat anymore.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »
Originally posted by MotleyCH
Never ate a pigeon. Do they taste good?

I have, they are actually pretty good.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
wad cutter pellets......as if plain old simple pellets wern't enough for squirrels and pigeons :cry
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:17:33 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
wad cutter pellets......as if plain old simple pellets wern't enough for squirrels and pigeons :cry

Depending on how much power his particular air rifle puts out, they might not be enough. Squirrels are actually pretty tough little critters. I remember seeing a squirrel almost dead center in the pattern of my 12 GA shotgun blast in Alaska and running off like nothing happened. Or skinning squirrels and noticing just how many pellets hit it but didn't actually penetrate all the way through their tough hides.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
In Korea we'd shoot Mountain Pidgeon, Pheasant, Rabbit and Sparrow with compressed air guns...

Cold as Hell, frozen Rice Paddies... Birds galore.  Huge Pheasants, Chinesse Ring Necks.  One Pheasant could feed 3 people.  Wild and Great!

The Mountain Pidgeons are also great to eat.....

Sparrows are great too... get a bunch and peel them...bones and all are crunchy, add salt and pepper.....

Dog is good... but that's another story.....

:D

Mac

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
small game hunting
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
Two things,
1. Most states (if you are in the US) do not allow baiting animals and shooting them when they are eating. The bait pile must be removed before the season starts.
2. I don’t think squirrel season is open yet. I know states differ, but most are close. That would be poaching. I know that if it is your property you may kill them, but you  should check with the local DNR. Also if you live in a city most hunting is forbidden.

If you want a real chalange try "Squirrel Fishing". Just do a google search and lets see you post some catches!

Good Luck,
Phaser
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
small game hunting
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
Back when I lived in FL. I used to kill rabbits and crows in my mom's garden. There were usually dozens of squirrels around but I only killed them when they got into the attic. The squirrels always stayed out of the garden for some reason.

I used this cheap chinese knockoff of a crosman 160 in .22.

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
Most states... don't regulate pests or vermin..... meaning shoot on sight....depending on loca regs.(shooting pidgeons in New York w/ pellit gun might get ya life!)

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
what would be a better pellet to use besides a wad cutter?

edit:
I am also having trouble getting my scope zeroed, so I just took it off and am using the iron sights for now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:45:33 PM by ariansworld »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »
I was never able to down anything with a pellet gun.  I have a pretty powerful one too.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
small game hunting
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »
Make sure your rings are nice and tight around the scope.  It probably uses a dovetail attachment so make sure that is tight as well.  You want the scope assembly (mount and rings) to mount as tightly to the gun as possible.

Also...

It's a pellet gun.  Granted some can be very accurate and when I was little I would shoot cheerios with them.  If it's a Daisy, Crosman low end WalMart special it's probably not going to be as accurate as "I" would like it to be.  I'm pretty particular and often demand more accuracy than the gun is capable of...especially when it comes to BB and/or pellet guns.

The moral of the story is tighten all the optics down but don't expect so much that the gun can't deliver.  It can get expensive doing that as you progress up the product lines :)