Author Topic: Jet sims? What happened pc game coders?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
Jet sims? What happened pc game coders?
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »
For years, profits took the stage over game quality.  Rushed releases (almost every game is in this category), games that develop while the player base beta tests for them...etc etc.

I for one was sick of this and was very happy to find Aces High 2.  It's been over a few months for me and I can say that I'm very happy to be here, although I really wish they would take a look at HO's and install some NEW MAPS for god's sake.

Alas - I am still left with an empty feeling.  I would have though by now we would have seen, at the very least, an ultra realistic jet sim game.  Ok, it doesn't have to be a Massive Multiplayer - even up to 16 would be fine. :(

Just wondering - has anyone found anything to fill that void for the need of a jet sim?  I guess the public cries for it aren't loud enough to warrant the spending and research.  It's easier to make a fantasy game whereas people spend countless hours in a buggy environment to yield higher levels to win...'nothing' in the end.

At least in Aces High 2 - you develop a real 'skill' so to speak.  And with that experience, skill, and situations all develop into a real dynamic of game play that can not be replicated with corporate planning policies or profit making dreams.

Don't get me wrong.  We do what we do for $$$$.  But at one point, we have to ask ourselves, are we best suited for the job?  If we love what we do, we would do it far better than anyone else that hates it but is well versed and educated in the field.  

Thoughts?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
What's wrong with HO?

As for jets... I think there's still a lot of third party work happening with Falcon 4.0.
sand

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »
My limited experience with falcon was, it was a very archaic feel and thus lacked severely.  But, I'm talking from a very limited effort to get that up and running and fluid.  I've heard there is a following but there is still a huge following for the commodore 64 too.

As for HO's.  There are too many that are expertly adapt at going HO and knowing how to come out on top so to speak.
Additional, all efforts to shoot and avoid result in "You have been or you have collided with"...
Now, you KNOW you missed the person by probably 50-100 feet as you turn up and over a second prior to hitting yet because of the game lag it still registers a hit and randomizes the damage (seemingly).  Which is a bit silly.  Makes you wonder about some of the hits you get on aircraft and they fly wildly about almost laughing at you in what I've dubbed the 'funky chicken' defense.  Whereas they use lag to their advantage.

However, this thread is not about HO's but as you did ask - I replied.  Now back to our original topic.

I've heard there are a few Jet sims out there that are not multplayer but good none the less. Just haven't found a one and have tried a many.

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
Originally posted by Sincraft

As for HO's.  There are too many that are expertly adapt at going HO and knowing how to come out on top so to speak.
Additional, all efforts to shoot and avoid result in "You have been or you have collided with"...
Now, you KNOW you missed the person by probably 50-100 feet as you turn up and over a second prior to hitting yet because of the game lag it still registers a hit and randomizes the damage (seemingly).  Which is a bit silly.  Makes you wonder about some of the hits you get on aircraft and they fly wildly about almost laughing at you in what I've dubbed the 'funky chicken' defense.  Whereas they use lag to their advantage.

That isnt a HO issue. That is smoothing code/lag issues.

Dying in a HO to gunfire is a lack of desire to avoid them. Once you try to avoid it is no longer HO because HO require two to participate. Dying to gunfire trying to avoid HO just means you need a little training and practice.

Collisions that appear to be successful avoids aggravate me and there are ways to expolit the code and lag.

If you don't want a thread to degenerate into a HO thread don't mention HO's.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
I used to play Jane's jet sims in the mid '90's, which were a hoot.

Nowadays, when I have time to play, I play AH2. I also have Falcon 4: AF, when I wish to play a good sim about the modern jets, but I haven't been paying as much attention to that as I've been paying attention to AH2...

edit; Haven't tried the current jet sims besides the F4AF, but I wouldn't expect those to be any good...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:02:35 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »
What i really want is a first world war sim along the lines of the original Red Baron or Knights of the Sky.

I used to love finishing a sortie in KOTS and reading the little newspaper cuttings which were generated, the duel challenges, the freedom to request transfers along the front and take part in different battles.  From the attrition of the British front lines, to home defence RFC or RNAS against Gotha's and Zepp's.  The number of different aircraft able to be flown, from Eindeckers to Fokker DVII's, from DH2s to Snipes, organising patrols with the aces of 56 squadron and the customisation you could do to your plane once you became an ace.

:(
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:03:54 AM »
Well, there was also Hitech's "Dawn of Aces", - pretty good at the time....
(Well, it was when he was under the "Warbirds" folks right?)

I wish HTC had 4x the crew, - they would be the one I trusted for bringing a good WW1 sim.

As for Jets, not sure. I remember Eurofighter some years back, it was fun online. But today?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 05:08:43 AM »
Yea, a WWI sim.  But it has to have Snoopy in it.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 05:11:48 AM »
I am not really after an online WWI sim, i want an offline one like the ones of old :(

Modern ones are far too "shallow".
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 05:20:20 AM »
Like the old Atari one, where all you could control was the elevator?   :D
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »
That sounds too complimicated for mey.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 05:44:49 AM »
:lol
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 05:58:45 AM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
I used to play Jane's jet sims in the mid '90's, which were a hoot.

WORD, I wish they still made games.  ATF and USNF 97 were awesome.

Sincraft, have you tried LOMAC?  That one seems to be the gold standard these days, and it does have onlie play.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
I miss games like F-19, and F-15e strike fighter.  I also miss the Janes games they did a great job.

Falcon 4.0 is way to complicated for me.  I feel like I need to read about 7 hours of readme files, and do about 100hrs of flight time before my first mission.  Lock on I just dont know what i am doing in that game.

Just make some fun flight games that you dont need to be a airforce pilot to figure out.

Microsoft Flight Sim X is great, and easy.  It has great training, and but no Air to Air.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »
Originally posted by Jebus

Falcon 4.0 is way to complicated for me.  I feel like I need to read about 7 hours of readme files, and do about 100hrs of flight time before my first mission.  

I picked it up last week, and i agree completely. basically i'm just trying to learn one part at a time.  This week is radar.

It's very realistic, but at this point not that good for the quick action fix that you can get ah2.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone