Author Topic: How Close did Tu95s get during/after Cold War?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
How Close did Tu95s get during/after Cold War?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Prolly because they do what we and they have "always" done. Im glad they still do it. If they had stopped then i bet some politicians had gotten the brilliant idea to downsize even more.

The last part of your statement is so sad and yet so true at the same time.

Why can't we just go slap politicians every time they do something stupid? Not that it would help, but it sure would be satisfying would it not? :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »
I got those pics from Wiki when I was just reading about the Tu-95. The reason why I read they still fly real close to other countries boarders is
1) To show that Russia is still a power
2) Russia likes to watch war games played with task groups by other nations
3) To monitor the activites going on.

Yes they have Satilliates (can never spell this word) but with all there bombers flying around they can get 24/7 of live information on other nations. I think its pretty neat though.
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
Yes they have Satilliates (can never spell this word)

Satellite. Hope that helps. :D
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Satellite. Hope that helps. :D

yes it does, thanks :aok

Satellite, Satellite, Satellite, Satellite, Satellite, Satellite, Satellite, Satellite.
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »
Elfie,

Great story, thanks for posting!

storch

not Tu95s but....
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »
we chased the kiev all over the caribbean in the summer of 1977 right after she was launched and during what I think may have been her first deployment.  at one point the battle group steamed up the florida straights and passed within eighty miles of key west.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
I'll tell one more story before the wife drags me by the ear to the living room to watch a movie. :D

In early April of '87 I had just gotten off work, stopped at the post office to check my mail and then headed back to my barracks. As I came in the door a young airman was standing there and informed me that I, along with everyone else was to report back for duty. I didn't believe him at first because this was a Thursday and exercises NEVER kicked off after 4pm on Thursdays. They ALWAYS kicked off at 0-Dark-Thirty early Monday mornings. He finally halfway convinced me that he wasn't just pulling my leg. So I headed back to work.

When I got there, F-15's were being 3 bagged with full loads of missiles and HEI ammo into the gun systems. Nothing unusual there......until.....the 5th bird. Understand that during an exercise we would load the first 4 birds with 4 Sparrows, 4 Sidewinders and 940 rounds of HEI and then send 2 to Galena and 2 to King Salmon. Then the planes at those two air bases would be sent back to Elemendorf for systems reliability checks.

The 5th bird also got 4 Sparrows, 4 Sidewinders and 940 rounds of HEI, so did the 6th, 7th, 8th and so on. Another thing that wasn't normal was the planes in the hangers for the really hard core phased inspections (1200, 1800 and 2400 hour phased inspections. ) were being put back together and eventually pulled out on the flight line where they also got 4 Sparrows, 4 Sidewinders and 940 rounds of HEI.

Obviously this was not a normal exercise.

Missiles in crates were being pulled from storage and palletized, then sent to the cargo terminal and loaded onto C-130's. 20mm cannon ammunition was also being palletized and sent to the cargo terminal to be loaded onto C-130's. While pulling the munitions from storage and palletizing and sending them to the cargo terminal was normal. Loading them onto the C-130's was NOT.

Maintenance personnel were processing to deploy to King Salmon and Galena and were informed that the C-130's they would be riding in would also be carrying munitions. That is a big no-no during normal peacetime operations. The Deputy Commander for Maintenance signed the waiver that allowed this to happen.

We had already launched 8 F-15's to King Salmon and another 8 to Galena (normal exercise would be a total of 4 to each site) and maintenance personnel were in a C-130 that was in the middle of it's takeoff run when the order to stand down came in.

Due to the huge numbers of rumors that were flying around about what caused this *exercise* we were informed the next day about the incident that sparked our mobilization and the mission that was to be carried out.

Apparently a US electronics surveilance ship got caught in the ice inside the 12 mile zone off the east coast of the USSR. A-10's from Eilson AFB at Fairbanks were going to sink the spy ship and F-15's were going to fly MiG CAP for the mission with support for refueling coming from KC-135 tankers. Fortunately for the crew of that spy ship they were able to break free of the ice and get out of the 12 mile zone before our planes could get there.

Good thing that has been de-classified or I would have to kill all of you just to keep it secret. :noid

:D

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »
The Cold War was a no win situation...it was basically kill each other  so nobody lives

Nuclear strike Scene from the Cold War movie The Day After
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:51:14 PM by RAIDER14 »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:18 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
A more interesting question to me would be where did the SR71 get to during that time period. :t

Where ever they wanted too.:D

Cool story Elfie:aok

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 11:26:27 PM »
T'weren't no thing. Both sides did it. They used Bears for recon, we used RC-135's for the same type stuff.

The US recognized a 12 mile limit on coastal airspace. Get close to that, as both sides did, and you got intercepted.

All part of the game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
Notice how in all the old photos, the tailguns were all pointed dead-6 and at max up elevation, and in the newer ones the guns are not stowed...

They were a lot more polite back during the cold war.  They don't seem to stow the tailgun anymore, which is a much more aggressive posture.  I've seen multiple recent photos and none of them have the tailgun stowed.

And now the Russians have pulled out of the conventional forces treaty that limited force concentrations on their borders, citing some unnamed threat to national security.  Maybe they think someone is about to invade?  What's the name of that drug that makes you paranoid?  Maybe it's in the water over there.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 11:44:17 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
What's the name of that drug that makes you paranoid?  Maybe it's in the water over there.

The drug is called "Dictatorship" marketed by that old corporation Lenin, Stalin & Putin.

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:53:17 PM »
I read a book about a Navy pilot (Gilcrist) who intercepted a TU-95 in an A-7, after the jet-starter cart broke down and he couldn't start the engines on his F-4 Phantom.  A pretty amazing feat considering the A-7 is about the same speed as a TU-95.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 12:42:41 AM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
I read a book about a Navy pilot (Gilcrist) who intercepted a TU-95 in an A-7, after the jet-starter cart broke down and he couldn't start the engines on his F-4 Phantom.  A pretty amazing feat considering the A-7 is about the same speed as a TU-95.

There are 2 different ways to start the J-79 engines in a Phantom. You can either use an impulse cartridge which when fired produces lots of high pressure gas. Or, you can use an external power unit that supplies air under pressure.

Also since most military pilots aren't qualified to fly more than one aircraft type, I find it difficult to believe that a Phantom pilot would hop into an A-7 instead of using the alternate engine start method.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
Originally posted by RAIDER14
The Cold War was a no win situation...it was basically kill each other  so nobody lives

Nuclear strike Scene from the Cold War movie The Day After

That statement isn't entirely accurate since by all accounts (except those from the old USSR and Mr. Boroda) the US won the Cold War. :)