Author Topic: How many here are "long-timers".  (Read 22343 times)

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
Re: How many here are "long-timers".
« Reply #360 on: July 05, 2008, 01:17:14 AM »
Well I have played since 1999.  I took a break for a bit.  I have been to three conventions the 1st, 2nd, and 4th  i think.  Overall, the game has been a real hoot.  It has come a long way.         

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »
Howdy, B-Man!

I sent you a PM on the video you made for the AW convention in LA -- yep, I've still got it and will send you a copy.

I watched that thing so many times.  What a great video! :)  Many thanks!

There's also a snippet of an interview in it with a P-38 fighter pilot, George Chandler.  I got to meet him a couple of months ago in Seattle.  Here is one of the several interesting stories he told.

He was based at Munda, flying P-38's.  Among others, he participated in the US invasion of Bouganville, flying cover during the invasion.

After the war, he was travelling and was in a hotel lobby waiting around.  He saw another guy in the lobby who looked about the right age to have been in WWII and struck up a conversation with the guy, eventually asking him if he had been in the war.  The guy said that he had been in the army in the Pacific.  George asked him where in the Pacific, and the guy talked about how he had been in some of the island invasions including the one at Bouganville.  He went on to talk about it, including the following part.  

The guy had been on a troop ship, which was bringing in thousands of troops for the invasion.  The ship and its decks were packed with men.  As the ship moved in closer to the island, two Zeros with bombs came diving down on the ship.  He was on deck and could see the Zeros clearly, diving right on target for the ship.  He figured he and the rest of the folks on the ship were doomed when a P-38 came screaming in from nowhere at fantastic speed.  It caught each Zero quickly in turn from behind during its dive and blasted both out of the sky before they released their bombs.  He said, "I don't know who that guy was in the P-38, but I sure wish I could meet him."

George said, "You just did."

Man it is a small world.  I remember reading about that story in Aces against Japan by Eric Hammell.
I noted it because Chandler flew with the 339th FS, 347th FG which was my first operational squadron
in the USAF.  The other claim to fame the 339th had was the Yamamoto intercept mission.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
I noted it because Chandler flew with the 339th FS, 347th FG which was my first operational squadron
in the USAF.  The other claim to fame the 339th had was the Yamamoto intercept mission.

Cool!

Ah, the Yamamoto mission.  It's so amazing that they pulled that off.

Offline mef4ud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #363 on: July 29, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »
I responded to a post by Guppy35 in another thread where he stated:

My guess is at least half the player base are what I'll refer to as "long-timers".  This is nothing against Guppy35 in any way but it made me curious.  How many ARE "long-timers". 

Since Tour 12 ended 1/31/01 then tour 1 must have ended on 2/28/00.  Since the first tours were beta and other sim's were still alive then lets use tour 12 as the beginning so the question is, how many have played flight sims since 1/1/01 or earlier. 

Please post only once so we get a good count.  Include your starting date as closely as you remember it, the sim you started in, and your guess as to the percent of long-time players in AHII.

I started in '96 in Air Warrior and my guess at long-timers is half the player base.

AW- 1996-Death of AW.
Warbirds- Till they porked the F4U.
Microsoft- Pacific Fighters- Great Game, but the online portion really SUXED.  I hated going in there to find a mess of Hurricanes buzzing around. The online portion allowed all plane types in the MS series. Then I learned to fight the Hurri (in F4U) and played havoc with the squeakers that had become MS Aces.
AH- 2003- present

I learn a new way to die EVERY DAY.   :salute To the OLD TIMERS!
Proud Flyer of the F4U's since tour 36.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #364 on: July 29, 2008, 04:31:21 AM »
:D  Hi xbrit!  <S>  :)

Holy cow, a name I haven't seen in a very, very long time.  Flossy is the sweetest person ever to be banned on the EA forums :D

I hope things are well with you and your significant other.  Do any of the other Kraits still fly in here?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
i think tilt,baggy, gab and trip were in the kraits.  The first two being active gab and trip are awol.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Winks

• Copper Member
« Reply #366 on: July 29, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »
AW on AOHell back in '95 quit in '97...........came over here in '03

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #367 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »
AW2 on AOL for a few weeks in '97 then AW3 and gamestorm shortly after i found it (all u can eat vs pay as you go AOL).. stuck with AW3 and Millenium until it went "live" (and died shortly after) and the came over to AH in '01 until i left in Jan '06 (tours 14 - 71).
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #368 on: July 29, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »
And then you came back for 2 weeks to tease us!
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Winks

• Copper Member
« Reply #369 on: July 29, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »

Yep  :rofl :rofl

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #370 on: July 29, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »

That's what he would like you to believe.  He ran into me one flight while he was AFK and I thoroughly out flew him and shot him down.  He's afraid that everytime he'll go AFK I'll pounce and totally and completely own him, so he's not coming back.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #371 on: July 29, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
interesting to see how long some of you have been going at this, not just AH, but with sims as well..

As for me, missed the first 29 tours, got on board tour 30 of 2002.  Guess I've barely cut my teeth in this crowd:)
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2008, 03:05:12 AM »
From the Blue Knights ... let me tell you who are old timers that DON'T fly anymore ...

Badboy58
Icer
CHECKERS
Crapgame
DipStick
Drex
Edbert
Grits
Howitzer
Jigsaw
Kwan
lazs
Leviathn
nopoop
Ouch
Pirate
Recon7
Redd
rickt
Wadke
Morpheus

and there are more ... these are just on the current squad roster.

Some make an appearence here and there, but for the most part ... they just don't fly anymore.

I have been around since early '02.

ok lets point out who in this group could eat pretty much anyone for lunch

Leviathn-  I remember he was so good at just about everything.  You really didn't want to get into a 1 on 1 with him, furball or anything.  i remeber 10 kills a sortie wasn't uncommon.

Wadke, and Morpheus-  Wadke was good i seem to remember.  Idk why but morpheus sticks out for some reason.  He was good but i think morph was more for his all/200 channel chat.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »

That's what he would like you to believe.  He ran into me one flight while he was AFK and I thoroughly out flew him and shot him down.  He's afraid that everytime he'll go AFK I'll pounce and totally and completely own him, so he's not coming back.

ack-ack

I'm not sure why, but that made me snort with laughter - I'm getting funny looks in work now as well.......

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2008, 12:45:26 AM »
I started flying in AH in 2000 and left shortly after the influx of gamers (those not interested in ACM) following the start of tv advertising, sometime in 2004 I think.  I've visited a couple of times since but haven't yet got the desire worked up to stay again.

I miss the "good fights" with the different fighter aces, as well as the squad battles.  The rivalry between the 412th and the 12th TAS (?) guys was great fun.  Probably my favourite AH moment was fighting with the FDBs as an honourary member in the duelling arena vs the 12th TAS (I think it was).  Man that was fun.  Any of the FDBs still around?