Author Topic: How many here are "long-timers".  (Read 22249 times)

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
Re: How many here are "long-timers".
« Reply #390 on: May 03, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
my firts flight sim was Aces of the Pacific
early 90's, 486 computer, my Buddy "Vandal" told me about AW and let me fly a few flights on his computer.
I was hooked but did not get a computer until november 01. Played AW as part of the Tactical wing of the mighty LTD squad,we were 40 strong back then!
then EA murdered my only love!!! As acting CO I brought LTD to Fighter ace,where after many bruises we flourished....and here we are
<S> to the AH community for their warm welcome into the fold.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #391 on: May 03, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »

Since tour 50 or 51, can't remember.  Not old timer, but seams like forever.

:cheers:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #392 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
Hi,

I am strting to forget things, so bare with me...

1st sim ever: Falcon 1, in a Apple IIc; monochrome, yeah...
2nd: Knights of the Sky, it was in colours!
3rd: Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, cool...
4th: 1942 Pacific Air War, only managed to fly well when I bought my Thrustmaster HOTAS and rudder pedals.
5th: Warbirds, around 1997, first online experience, joined 249 RAF, until today...
6th: Aces High, from 2001 or 2002, can't really remember, mi sig has the first TOD were I found record of activity...

Joined these boards a couple of years after I joined AH. Only when I moved to a new house I was away from AH due to having no internet access. Don't fly much, RL first.

Cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #393 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:55 AM »
since tour 21 here, i don't have much time to play AH for the time being
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #394 on: May 04, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »
since tour 21 here, i don't have much time to play AH for the time being

That's because you're too busy being a fighter pilot IRL. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #395 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:35 AM »
AW'er until it got shafted,FA for very short time.WB's for a short time AH since Beta off and on.This will be my game until My ashes are strewn about.My eye sight is failing as I have diabetes,but I'll hang in until I just can't do it no more.I only fly now because I fly with the best squad in this game,the 71 Squadron,and my son ,who has had some health problems,has rejoined me in the air.I was Irondog,but went back to my old AW'er cpid Dobe to match my son's DobeyJr.It's difficult for me now,as I'm an easy kill,but I still love the sim,and I have made a lot of friends,and a few enemies,  but,It's all good and I have enjoyed being a pseudo pilot for all these years.My years with the Nightmares in AW were good ones and I learned to fly from a lot of good ones,RF,Buzz,BFD,Reload,GhostZZT,Blue,Burma,Merg (AH Midnight)and my memory fails me now,but it was great fun. and the list goes on.Cherished memories all.It all started when I picked a copy of Pacific Aces....I was hooked at that point,so I've got a sortie or two under my belt,and I don't regret a second of the time spent aloft..I also flew a beta out of Texas a long time ago,.The flying Circus or something like that.It was a WWI sim,and it never got off the ground so to speak.I would swear Dale and Doug were involved,but I could be wrong.A few of the gents I flew with have left us all,and I  :salute them all.
Great Grandpa Dobe for the 11th time,yesterday A.M.,a girl,8lbs 12 oz.....Lexie...I am blessed!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #396 on: May 04, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
I started in 1999 , played for 4 year's and took a break for 4 year's and now back again .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #397 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
Warbirds since february 1997
Trainer @ Warbirds since 2000

in AH - checking out new versions since 1.03
In full suit in here since about 2 years
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #398 on: May 04, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
<--------- Noob. Been playing AH2 for little over 2 years, or has it become 3?! Don't remember.. Anyways, I'm just a noob. Never flown any flightsims before.. Did have an F-16 "flightsim" back in the good old Amiga 500 days tho.. If that counts?  :old:  :lol   :bolt:
TheStig

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #399 on: May 04, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
i played red baron and red baron 2 in the mid-late 90s, then went into CFS series and was introduced to AH in 2003
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #400 on: May 04, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
My first flight sim was Airforce and Dauntless :D the board games by... can't remember who. Was it Avalon Hill?

Then Microsoft Stealth Fighter or something like that on a Monochrome system. lol

Warbirds 1996 or 97 I think. I was in heaven the first time I shot at an enemy and saw a trail of little black sticks for smoke.

Here in 1999. :)

Still here thanks to my life long friends I have made and the great people of HTC.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
I just got here....How do you take off again?

Anyone ever play Dawn Patrol?  Circa 1984.... WWI Board Sim...lol.

Then there was B17 Flying Fortress "The Mighty 8th"   Hasbro bought it...I still run it eveyr now an then.

F22 Raptor came next  first "mulitplayer online" game for me.  24 players max and lots of haxxors...and speed programs.

IAF (Isralie Air Force)

Then AHI....remeber the fence of trees...you had to drive through the HOLES...and the tunnels....bring back the TUNNELS!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:36:03 PM by Softail »

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #402 on: May 08, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Started playing online flight sims in the year 00 with the European Air War. Since then I changed to IL2 and it was one of the meetings (Blitz 02 perhaps) here in Finland where I tried my first 2 weeks of AH. Been playing both IL2 and AH/AH2 ever since - the AH2 offers better entertainment for the weekends while IL2 has this down to earth historical sense in it with all the new Scorched Earth thing going on at the moment. Recently been less active since real life has this tendency to cut in, but I see no reason I wouldn't be playing from the bed of some retirement home in the future ...if I happen to live that long :)
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #403 on: May 11, 2010, 08:41:39 AM »
My first flight sim was Airforce and Dauntless :D the board games by... can't remember who. Was it Avalon Hill?

Then Microsoft Stealth Fighter or something like that on a Monochrome system. lol

Warbirds 1996 or 97 I think. I was in heaven the first time I shot at an enemy and saw a trail of little black sticks for smoke.

Here in 1999. :)

Still here thanks to my life long friends I have made and the great people of HTC.

Daddog that 117 sim was one of my first.I can't remember if I bought it first or Pacific Aces,The 117 was by Microprose,and the author for lack of a better word was Sid Meir.
Aces over Europe followed,then Air Warrior,and I was on my way!I think I tried every flight sim put out.Why I'll never know,because I flew AW all the time!
GreatGranpa Dobe

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #404 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
I started playing AW in July 1998 and came to AH around the time it finished.  Although I am not as active now, I am still around and always here for the scenarios.  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun