Author Topic: Spies - closing a game hole.  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
Spies - closing a game hole.
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
There were spies in WWII! :noid

Yes there were spies in WWII, just as there are spies today.  However, in war and in peace spying carries a very real risk.  In AH, spying carries no risk, no danger, no cost, only a reward for the side that is doing the spying.  In this light, spying in AH cannot be compared to spying in real life.

I agree that something should be done to cut down on spying.  Turning off kill-shooter would be counterproductive.  I can't tell you how many noobs I have seen trying to shoot down their own team mates.  If kill-shooter were turned off, this behavior would run amuck.

My solution would be to increase the time you have to say in your new country before returning to your old country.  Currently it is one hour.  You spy for one hour and go home.  Possibly this time shoud be 24 or 48 hours.  This would not eliminate all spying, but I believe it would discourage it and reduce it.  If you could not fly with your buddies for a day or two, you might be less inclined to spy, but those who wanted to try out a different country would still have the opportunity.

My two cents worth.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2007, 09:13:48 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
So, let me get this straigh/  Lets say I am a Nit spy and I switch to the rooks.  After I destroy their mission by killing 3 friendly goons, I would automaticly get PNGed fromt he rooks and send back to the Nits to receive my medal of honor for my services? :D

Nah, what it did was render you ammo-less for....24 hours? I think. Was fairly easy to do too---drop bombs, vulcher guy gets kilt in blast, ONE more'oops' and ya can't play, save running goons, for the 24 hours
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline C0met

• Zinc Member
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »
Yall make this more than it should be. Most that know me know I fly rooks. So, a week ago I jumped sides just to piss off the knights. I told them I was there. and every time the knights would land I typed "to bad you didn’t crash". I didn’t make it personal by saying "I wished they died", that’s not cool in my book. Well this went on for a while. The last thing I did was join a knight Mish and typed on 200 what the details were. Oh did that piss em off. Like what I did or not, not important what the Knights finally did was mute me. Enough mute you lose that for awhile. For the first time in awhile the Knights showed they had smarts, they as a country shut me down. Now for you girls out there those think im all bad. Get a life.
As a parting gesture, I have an idea. What if HTC could turn everyone that changes country say blue for a week, and while you’re blue KS is off. That way you earn your way into said country and spies can be seen better.
Remember Girls, not all spies tell you they are here before they start

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
Originally posted by C0met
I have an idea. What if HTC could turn everyone that changes country say blue for a week, and while you’re blue KS is off. That way you earn your way into said country and spies can be seen better.
Remember Girls, not all spies tell you they are here before they start

I could live with that.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
i hate killshooter and think it is lame but it wouldnt solve this problem.... i blame the arena split and encouraging side switching as the culprit... There is something good about cartoon chess piece loyalty!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2007, 11:16:23 AM »
This is a letter to Skuzzy I wrote a while back, seems fitting for topic:

> Good Morning Roy,

Last night, my squadies and I (Bish) witnessed a player (Bish) dropping
supplies to enemy (Rooks)during a battle.None of the Rook fighters would
go near the C47 piloted by the player.  Slightly before this battle, I
noticed this player on the Rooks side ( he'd made a inappropriate comment of 200, therefore I reported him).  So I am assuming that he switched sides to drop supplies to avoid being killed.   My question is this, is
this by terms of the game legal?  If so I will stop right there.  We have
video of this instance.  I realize that one is allowed to switch countries
every hour, but I still feel this is cheating.  What can I do as a player
to prevent this. Or is this out of our hands.  Perhaps a longer period to
switch countries would be more reasonable.<

This is the response:

>HiTech is thinking about it.  Right now it is just gaming the game.<
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2007, 11:39:07 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
You're correct, it was after your third friendly kill you got PNG'd from your country and sent to another. I think it was a 48 hour period you were png'd from your country. Actually I think this would be a good alternative to killshooter. Not for the spying issue which is retarded to practice or cry about anyway. However it would cut down on some of the dweebry.

Almost right....when you received PNG status you were denied AMMO in that country for a time period, I thought it was 24 hours but I could be wrong, so you could still fly goons if ya wanted to ride out the PNG.

OOPS 229 beat me to the punch should have read whole thread before posting
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:47:08 AM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2007, 11:57:42 AM »
Originally posted by Boxboy
Almost right....when you received PNG status you were denied AMMO in that country for a time period, I thought it was 24 hours but I could be wrong, so you could still fly goons if ya wanted to ride out the PNG.

OOPS 229 beat me to the punch should have read whole thread before posting

My memory goes back to 1992/93 in AW, so it's all a little fuzzy. I'm sure info is correct.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
This is a letter to Skuzzy I wrote a while back, seems fitting for topic:

> Good Morning Roy,

Last night, my squadies and I (Bish) witnessed a player (Bish) dropping
supplies to enemy (Rooks)during a battle.None of the Rook fighters would
go near the C47 piloted by the player.  Slightly before this battle, I
noticed this player on the Rooks side ( he'd made a inappropriate comment of 200, therefore I reported him).  So I am assuming that he switched sides to drop supplies to avoid being killed.   My question is this, is
this by terms of the game legal?  If so I will stop right there.  We have
video of this instance.  I realize that one is allowed to switch countries
every hour, but I still feel this is cheating.  What can I do as a player
to prevent this. Or is this out of our hands.  Perhaps a longer period to
switch countries would be more reasonable.<

This is the response:

>HiTech is thinking about it.  Right now it is just gaming the game.<

Makes me wonder how long he has been "thinking" about all the people wanting diff maps............. too weaks?
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline P47Gra

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »
Quit your ever loving whining.  Please!

Yeah I dont like spies either but what the hell does it matter.  If a tank resupplies with those that were dropped or brought by a squadie flying different colors then it gives us a chance to practice killing a tank over and over and over again.  This is a dead issue that is getting beat over and over again.  

Jugman
Forever a Knight

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
Originally posted by Carwash
Yes there were spies in WWII, just as there are spies today.  However, in war and in peace spying carries a very real risk.  In AH, spying carries no risk, no danger, no cost, only a reward for the side that is doing the spying.  In this light, spying in AH cannot be compared to spying in real life.

I agree that something should be done to cut down on spying.  Turning off kill-shooter would be counterproductive.  I can't tell you how many noobs I have seen trying to shoot down their own team mates.  If kill-shooter were turned off, this behavior would run amuck.

My solution would be to increase the time you have to say in your new country before returning to your old country.  Currently it is one hour.  You spy for one hour and go home.  Possibly this time shoud be 24 or 48 hours.  This would not eliminate all spying, but I believe it would discourage it and reduce it.  If you could not fly with your buddies for a day or two, you might be less inclined to spy, but those who wanted to try out a different country would still have the opportunity.

My two cents worth.
I think you are making this consume you too much.   Why not just "log on and have fun, in your own way?"
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »
I had a guy a few weeks back pm me to tell me about a bish mission, no problem, I just picked a ranking bish, informed him that so and so was pm'ing his mission plans out. Hopefully they humiliated him. I don't cheat, nor will I stand for it.
                                                              Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
Perhaps a longer period to
switch countries would be more reasonable.

Back when the time that one could switch between countries was 6 hours.  Hated that as when furballs were killed I would switch sides to be on the other side of the map so I could furball.  Now with the time being an hour its a lot more convenient that I wouldn't have to stay on one side for 6 hours just waiting to switch back to find another furball or hang out with squad.  

Not everyone is devoted to a chess piece and lengthening the time one could switch countries would be horrible for those that just switch countries to help #s or just look for furballs.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2007, 06:29:47 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I think you are making this consume you too much.   Why not just "log on and have fun, in your own way?"

Consume me?  I think you forgot the last line in my post: "My two cents worth."