Author Topic: Using Pedals  (Read 472 times)

Offline DoLbY

• Copper Member
Using Pedals
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:47:10 AM »
I have seen people talking about using these and othe positive things, so my question is what is the negative things? I know it takes little while to learn but how so?

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:37:19 AM »
One of the things I've noticed is - you can lose a lot of E when using them in a turn.......upside - better turn, downside - loss of E if bnz'ing/needing to extend

You can rudder across the buff's with them, and all in all, control is easier (each to their own of course, just my opinion)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Using Pedals
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:03:47 AM »
Basically dolby the main difference having pedals over a twisty stick is that it seperates that control.  With pedals you then have, in my opinion,  a more accurate and precise way of applying the exact amount of rudder you want to use.

I've had mine since xmas and once you get over the initial 2weeks - a month you feel more at one with the plane.  Snapshots are easier and it just puts less stress on your flying hand if you get into long drawn out dogfights.

I would say my overall experience and enjoyment has increased with pedals.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
A month?? Took me 2-3 months before I was "back to normal"!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Using Pedals
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »
It took me about a week to get back to "normal", but then I discovered there never was a "normal" with a twisty stick  for me  - I only started really to use rudder with my pedals, something I would't have thought before.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »
^-- Agreed. I only used it for aiming snapshots and struggling to get shots. Now I don't struggle and I use it in normal flight much more.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Using Pedals
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »
ok.....i saw a couple posts where it took the guys 1-3 months to get back to normal....it took me about 3 to 4 weeks..........but then i suck so far......

but anyway.........you'll LOVE them IF you have the patience to get used to them. my nbiggest problem when i first switched to pedals was that i'd actually apply TOO MUCH rudder for a given situation, thus bleeding a LOT of energy, and stalling the plane. once you're accustomed to the feel though, the control is sooooo much more exact, it's almost unbelievable!!! i love mine, and i DO think they're helping me fly better.

good luck!:aok

<>

john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
They do take a little bit to get used to - how long that is depends on how many hours you spend a week flying. Foot control to start with is a bit cumbersome and doesnt have the fine degree of finesse that you get with hands - this is part of the 'loose too much E' issue due to the 'ham-footedness'/gross over-movements your feet will start out making. Part of the learning curve is getting the required motor control over your feet. Once you've done this the seperation of the rudder axis from the elev/aileron control is of big benefit. I'm using the default scaling for the axis, and that seems to give me good control - YMMV.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
helped me on landing F4U's. with the pedals you apply the brakes to each wheel separatly.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:44:42 PM »
Originally posted by moneyguy
helped me on landing F4U's. with the pedals you apply the brakes to each wheel separatly.

Mine don't have toe brakes, but the rudder still helps steer while braking using a key mapped to "brakes" (just 1 key for both wheels)

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Using Pedals
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:02:53 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Mine don't have toe brakes, but the rudder still helps steer while braking using a key mapped to "brakes" (just 1 key for both wheels)

I don't have toe brakes on my pedals (10 year old CH Pedals).  I reciently programmed then to apply right and left wheel brakes when the rudder reaches full right and left respectively.  This helps with turns on the ground, no effect in the air.  It works well for a work around for no toe brakes.  I still use a JS button to control both brakes.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
I just picked up some used CH pedals from a friend.  Now I have to change my whole computer set up because I don't have room for them under the current desk!  ugh!

My first flight I messed up take off and broke my gear and prop.

Second flight I was able to take off and find a fight.  After making an incredible snap shot with the rudder pedals I forgot to center my feet and put myself into a snap spin into the ground!

I think they'll be fun and help.  Next I need to replace this logi-crap joystick.  Any suggestions?
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Using Pedals
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
Oh, yeah, I remember that phase. I forgot to center myself a lot at first.

Then there was the period where I was concentrating too much on rudder position so that I rammed every bomber I attacked :lol

So many phases of rudder learning, so little time :D