Author Topic: 2 Things. Books and Frames  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
2 Things. Books and Frames
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
mine runs 85 fps with a 9600pro  , i'll dip down to 39-45 fps in super heavy furballs over cv flak from hell fights but thats about it .

as long as you stay 25-30 fps and above then you should be fine . just beshure you have good airflow in your case ,as for most 5200's dont have a fan and this game will heat them up.

a optimized set up will normally run at monitor refresh ,AE: 85 hz /85 fps in no traffic .  lcd monitors are different and alot of them drag fps down because  of there higher screen resolutions.

P,s. When you read Shaw its best to take it in chunks ... or during throne room sessions :rolleyes:

How much would you have to pay for a 9600 pro?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=2000380048&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9640%2C696%3A9639&page=1&bop=And

this will give ya a ball park on prices .

These are all good Agp cards
id look at 9600pro/xt , 9800 pro/xt , x800 , 1650 pro/xt,1900/1950
6800 's , 7600,7800,7900
any of these cards coupled with a 2.0 ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram will run AH with most settings close to maxed out ... (this will vary with monitor type and screen resolution)

Note; for a budget upgrade on a older pc under 2.0ghz the ati 9550 256 card is a declocked /relabeled  9600pro ,and this card runs AH decently .

there are also some other cards that work good .... but they are what we call "one off" cards and there oddballs with a short production .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Fatboy26

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »
Yarbles,

I know its probably a little late, but I just finished reading "An Ace of the Eighth" by Norman "Bud' Fortier.  There's not much on tactics in there but it was a very good read from the point of view of a Jug and Mustang pilot.
Proudly campaigning (screaming, whining, begging, pleading) for the addition of the Me410 to AH2

Fatboy

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Book arrived today and am looking forward to reading it:aok

As someone said, look for In Pursuit.  There is a free .pdf version that someone else posted a link to and a bound book version that has illustrations and some added content.

Another good book is Every Man Is a Tiger: Mock Combat Techniques for Light Aircraft.  Like In Pursuit, it has very good descriptions of the various ACM maneuvers written in easy to understand layman terms.  It also has a nice write up on the Cloverleaf, so I highly recommend this book to fellow P-38 drivers just for that reason alone.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »
Have 2GB memory now and would like to up grade my 5200 card but the big challenge is PCI slot and the best I have been able to find is 5200 card. Does anyone know if I can do better than this with existing set up. (pROCESSOR IS 2.8)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:52:33 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »
Another thing that most dont realize when you upgrade your vid card you need to make sure your power supply will handle it. Otherwise you will end up burning up the powersupply. Alot of prebuilt computers come with a weak powersupply that cant handle even the lowest end of the 256 vid cards. It may not burn the Powersupply up right away but will eventully eat it up(ive had it happen to me) i put a 5700LE 256meg vid card in my old computer and ended up haveing to replace the powersupply after about 2 months due to the over draw on it.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 11:05:49 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Have 2GB memory now and would like to up grade my 5200 card but the big challenge is PCI slot and the best I have been able to find is 5200 card. Does anyone know if I can do better than this with existing set up. (pROCESSOR IS 2.8)

Be careful about slot types, theres a diffrence between PCI and PCI-Express. Theres other types as well but these seem to be the most popular anymore, most of the newer cards are PCI-E. So when ordering a new videocard make sure your motherboard has the proper slot type or your going to be sadly disspointed when the videocard won't fit into the slot. And as Reeb said watch your power supply, the newest videocards are eating up ridiculous amounts of power these days to where people are soon going to need two.

Anyways hope my little rant was of some use.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »
Read "Nanette" by Edward's Park about his P39 flying in the Southwest Pacific early in the war.

Guppy35 is a direct reference to my all time favorite fighter pilot book and Corky carry's on the tradition in his approach to AH.  Guppy is a 38 pilot in the book who tries to drink himself home and instead gets 5 kills and becomes an ace, hating it the entire time.

It's not about aces but about the other guys who also flew and fought, half scared out of their wits half the time and just hoping to do the job and get home.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Capz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
If money isn't an issue, I'd really suggest getting a PCI-E motherboard, the cards you can get will be much better in comparison to PCI.

As for frame rate, I'm not sure if theres a cap or not, I get 200 in slow sectors but I've never really seen higher than that.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 05:09:52 PM »
You may also want to try FSAutoStart. It shuts down all unnecessary programs and services before kicking off AH2.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

Works well for low-end machines.

Also for the 5200Fx you have, you may want to try the NGO optimised nvidia drivers

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=10
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 06:33:21 AM »
Originally posted by Capz

As for frame rate, I'm not sure if theres a cap or not, I get 200 in slow sectors but I've never really seen higher than that.

:mad:
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »
Originally posted by Capz
If money isn't an issue, I'd really suggest getting a PCI-E motherboard, the cards you can get will be much better in comparison to PCI.

If your getting a 200 frame rate, then you don't have VSYNC set to "on" or "always on" ... which is not good.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."