Author Topic: 2 Things. Books and Frames  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
2 Things. Books and Frames
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:54:43 AM »
I have a Holiday/Vacation coming up with my delightfull Wife, brother in law and our children coming up and will be away from AH listening to him babging on about his divorce and her moaning about him. Kids are great though.

As relief from all this concentrated domestic intamacy can anyone suggest books they have read that have helped them with their fighter skills and how demanding / accesable both in obtaining and reading they have been.

And

Best frame rate I ever get is 14 and average isw about 7. Iam ordering a new graphics card do you think think a higher frame rate will help with wsuccess on the MA?

THANKS CHAPS   :aok
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:01:40 AM »
Yarbles, as a fellow low framer I have to say a resounding YES! I fly between 25-40 fps and it's terrible.  I'm saving now for a full upgrade.  The recommendations on the home page are very inaccurate.  Good luck.
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:20:34 AM »
What spec system do you have at the moment?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:25:46 AM »
I think the card is only 32 but have bought an upgrade to 256.

The processor is 2300 MHZ and RAM IS 512.

It is a businees computer and a bit light in the graphics so I am hoping to get more FPS. What do you think I will get with the new card and what should I be aiming at?

By the way someone please reccomend a book fast as I am away in a week and will need to order.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:50:10 AM »
Book: Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert Shaw

It's the bible of the cartoon & RL air world.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
up the ram to 1 ghz , and a good to high end 128,265, or 512 card will work.

stay away from the 200 cards AE: 5200,9200/6200,x200/7200  << these are bottem end cards that dont perform well in games.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
1GB of RAM will definitely help, but right now his largest crippling hardware is that archaeic video card. Even going up to an FX5600 (a crappy card by all rights) he will gain an immense boost in performance.

Adding to what Roscoroo said,

Ignore all 6000 cards before 6600, all 7000 cards before 7600, all 8000 cards before 8600, and you should be okay.

For ATI fans, go 9600, X800/850, X1600/1650, X1950 and nothing in between. Note that an X1550 is not close to an X1600 in performance. Quite annoying how they do that.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:34:17 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Book: Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert Shaw

It's the bible of the cartoon & RL air world.

Book arrived today and am looking forward to reading it:aok
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
up the ram to 1 ghz , and a good to high end 128,265, or 512 card will work.

stay away from the 200 cards AE: 5200,9200/6200,x200/7200  << these are bottem end cards that dont perform well in games.

Had already bought a 5200 (not sure it is the same one) but it is a major improvement at least doubled frame rate. Max is now about 50 and minimum about 9 fps. (used to be in the range 4 to 16)

What sort of frame rate is possible?

I will stick with what I have for the moment as the improvement is already great but for the future with my set up is it better to upgrade the card again or improve something else?

The processer is 2300 ram is about 500 and I have a 19 inch flat screen. My internet connection is 8mb max.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »
Not sure if this book fits the bill or not.

Lately I've been working on a book called, "The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign" by Lundstrom.  You can pick it up on Amazon.com.

It will not necessarily help you fly better.  However, it relates the air war over Guadalcanal during WW2 blow by blow, so if you're looking to read about dogfighting, this has all the detail you could want.

It's not everybody's cup of team, it is really detailed, but it's good reading for when you're in the mood to fly around, but can't fly.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Book arrived today and am looking forward to reading it:aok

A bit of advice -- Shaw is a great book, but not an easy read. (Don't believe me? Check out the appendix before you get started!) I have had it for years, and havent even waded through the parts that directly affect AH. It is great, but VERY information dense.

So I'd recommend you have a flexible attitude to reading it. Don't feel bound to plow all the way through chapter 1 before going to chapter 2! (Don't miss the pilot quotes he inserts all over -- some real gems there) Get the ideas early on, and learn the terminology he uses. Once you get to the bits about basic flight maneuvers, lead turns, and principles of 1 v 1 engagements, take plenty of time and reread sections as necessary. The illustrations are absolutely great; but it helped my visualization when I snitched a couple of my kid's 1" toy planes and taped them to straws so I could work the moves out myself.

Its a great book, but its not a page turner. Just be aware that if you're looking for escape, you might want to check one of these out too:

Allied Fighter Aces: The Air Combat Tactics and Techniques of World War II

Luftwaffe Fighter Aces: The Jagdflieger and their Combat Techniques

These tell the stories of some aces, and illustrate the tactics they often used to get the most out of their particular aircraft.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:14:12 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
yes, I agree with all of the above.

I haven't read all of Shaw either.  I use it as an armrest though, so that perhaps I can get some info through osmosis.

Definately not the book to read cover to cover for simple entertainment.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 02:54:40 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Had already bought a 5200 (not sure it is the same one) but it is a major improvement at least doubled frame rate. Max is now about 50 and minimum about 9 fps. (used to be in the range 4 to 16)

What sort of frame rate is possible?

I will stick with what I have for the moment as the improvement is already great but for the future with my set up is it better to upgrade the card again or improve something else?

The processer is 2300 ram is about 500 and I have a 19 inch flat screen. My internet connection is 8mb max.

mine runs 85 fps with a 9600pro  , i'll dip down to 39-45 fps in super heavy furballs over cv flak from hell fights but thats about it .

as long as you stay 25-30 fps and above then you should be fine . just beshure you have good airflow in your case ,as for most 5200's dont have a fan and this game will heat them up.

a optimized set up will normally run at monitor refresh ,AE: 85 hz /85 fps in no traffic .  lcd monitors are different and alot of them drag fps down because  of there higher screen resolutions.

P,s. When you read Shaw its best to take it in chunks ... or during throne room sessions :rolleyes:
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Mulligan

• Copper Member
Book
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 03:42:53 AM »
In Pursuit,,,,Johan Kylander

Best book I have seen on the actually nuts and bolts of flying online!

It is available in a PDF format free

Mulligan

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 05:41:57 AM »
Heres the link to in pursuit:

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group