Author Topic: MEPS and the DEP  (Read 450 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:12:48 PM »
Well I've thought long and hard about it, and I've made up my mind to join the Coast Guard.  I got an 87 on the ASVAB which qualifies me for any job in that aspect.  However, I still need to go through MEPS and enlist in the DEP.  I haven't heard very much about either so I was wondering if you guys have any stories about MEPS and/or any information on the DEP.

You can also through in your worst boot camp stories too if you'd like.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Kon069

• Zinc Member
      • http://78th.org
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:27:37 PM »
I've DEP'ed into the Marines.  Going through MEPS is not a fun thing, I had to do it twice to finally get DEP'ed in.  Most of the people working there are civilians are military people placed there that don't want to do that job.  They hate and seem to take it out on the people shoved through there.

Best way to handle it is mind your business, do what they tell you.  Get the stuff done you need done and nothing more.
Kon69
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
You're asking the wrong questions.  You need to be asking "How do I get stationed in Hawaii or Florida".  Else you might get stuck in Alaska or on a Coast Guard cutter.

If you get stationed in Florida, you get to blow up refugee rafts with 50 cal machine guns.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:57:41 PM »
:lol I don't think I'd mind being stationed in Alaska, I really enjoy the cold.  Eskimo has made it sound like a fantastic place too.  Being on a cutter though....I guess it'd be an experience.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:09:23 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
:lol I don't think I'd mind being stationed in Alaska, I really enjoy the cold.  Eskimo has made it sound like a fantastic place too.  Being on a cutter though....I guess it'd be an experience.

I was stationed in Alaska in the Air Force. It wasn't as bad as folks make it out to be in regards to the cold. Being on a Coast Guard cutter would be a lot different I think.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:27:55 AM »
I'm from Alaska too. It's awesome up there: especially being in the coast guard where you are only up there for the duration of your tour.

I don't remember much about my MEPS or DEP.  Seemed like every other thing with the military ~ stand in line forever to get a rubber stamp.  Then stand in the next line forever.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »
Good luck in the Guard!!!! MEPs is a pain in the butt. You'll spend allot of time sitting around waiting for the next exam....mostly medical stuff.

When you get to Cape May you'll do in processing for the first couple of 3 days before you get assigned your company commanders.

Basic is 8 weeks and it's not to bad but you will do some very stupid stuff. You'll have allot of classroom time for the first several weeks, just be sure to stay awake. If you start falling asleep stand up and move to the back of the class before an instructor sees you sleeping....vey bad.

AVOID Hawaii, California, and Florida at all cost for your first duty station. Too damn expensive and you aren't going to be making that much money.

Going to a cutter out of basic is actually not a bad thing if you can get a small one. Buoy Tenders are AWSOME!!!!!!! If you get the chance to go to one take it. River Tenders are even better as a non rate. Patrol Boats are good. Try and avoid the big white ones until you are at least a petty officer.

Any ideas on what rate you want to go yet???
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline derelict

• Copper Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:29:33 AM »
What he said (points up).  Had 2 big white  ones out of boot, both in Hawaii.  Best part of the tour was the Alaska Patrols!  I'd give anything to get back to Alaska.  

Also did 2 River Tenders as a BM3.  Actually spent MORE total days per year underway on them then I did on the 378's ;)  

For 20 years I never had a job I didn't love, hope the Guard turns out the same for you.

Sorry about no MEPS/DEPS answer....never did that.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »
What river tenders where you on??? I got the Scioto (WLR-65504) out of Keokuk Iowa out of boot in 1992. Was onboard from December 92 to November 94. Man that was an awsome tour other than the floods in the spring and summer of 93. That was a mess. Group Upper had to evacuate and ended up with around 5ft of water in the building and our dock came within about 3 inches of floating off the moorings.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:01 AM »
My first trip through MEPS involved Pharyngitis -- "a painful infection and inflammation of the pharynx…" with a "white spotted" tonsil swollen to the size of my little finger and a temp of about 103 or so. I spent the night in some 4th rate hotel room with a big mound in the center of the mattress and yellow street lights streaming in with my mouth open drooling on a towel since I couldn't swallow. I spent the next morning moving like a diseased zombie through the maze of prodding and poking and paperwork until the final doctor said -- hey, you're sick, come back in two weeks. The doctor I went to afterward to get the antibiotics said it was the worst he had seen.
YMMV and likely will (except for the prodding, poking and paperwork). Welcome to the bureaucratic machine my friend. Hurry up and wait, common sense need not apply, etc.

Charon
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:32:11 AM by Charon »

Offline derelict

• Copper Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »
CGC Kanawha (Memphis TN) from 1981-83, then I did a mutual exchange of station to the CGC Cimmarron (Paris TN) from 83-86.  Paris is where I met my hillbilly ex-wife #1.  What a place :rolleyes:

You was up there where the river actually freezes huh?  The lower Miss didn't get much ice, but the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers did (especially the Cumberland).  

Nice thing about the Cumberland was visitng the country stars homes :cool:   We had a commercial electric light that was attached to the power pole suppling electricity to Johnny Cash's tennis courts.  We always knew when he was on tour becuase the light would be reported out.  He'd turn off non-essential power, then we'd have to go out to his house and hot pack the light until he came back.  

Had a line of 6th class buoys we used to set into the Mandrels dock so that Barbara and her other sister (Not the blonde drummer, the other one) could get their boat in and out without running aground.  Fame has it's advantages.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
Hornet:
Machinery technician since I already have a background in that field to a certain extent and the ability to go back into my current civilian occupation if necessary.  However, depending on the way things go the next few months I may decide to go non-rate and look around for awhile.  I was reading about MEPS on about.com and they had me more worried about those several hours then 8 weeks of boot camp.

I'd personally prefer to be on a smaller boat but just being enlisted would be good enough for me right now.

Thanks for your input everyone .

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
The CG is a great outfit. If you line up your job right, you'll have time as an LEO when you get out, you'll have a lot of great job opportunities.

When I run across younger guys looking to serve these days, unless they already know what they want to do (i.e. "Unghhhh, grenades, charge, kill...Marine Infantry") I tell them to check out the CG first.

Also, the CG...being smaller, can be and is a little more selective - so your idiot/good teammate ratio is low by default.

And there are plenty of chicks who dig Coasties.

Any idea regarding what you want to do?

More later-

Mike/wulfie

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:28:02 PM »
Originally posted by nirvana
I may decide to go non-rate and look around for awhile

Do not do this. I'll explain more as to 'why' later, but I am literally closing the laptop in 5 seconds.

Mike/wulfie

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
MEPS and the DEP
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »
I'd discussed it with Hornet several months ago but I'm looking at Machinery technician or Boatswain's Mate.