Author Topic: How to fly the P51  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:28:39 AM »
I find myself flying both the P51'S more and more and really like the speed, range, ammo load and general handling.

Can anyone tell me the best way to use them to get kills and explain any technical terms as I ve only just bought my first book and have nt had time to read it yet :)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
How to fly the P51
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »
The Pony loves speed. Keep her fast, it's one of the best handling plane at high speeds and as a good instantaneous turn rate. While it's fast at every altitude, it's better to keep her at some altitude, going to the deck only in emergencies. Not only some planes are a tad faster there (La7, Tempest, Typhoon, 190D9 ) but many slower planes can get enough speed by diving onto you.
Always watch your energy, either stored in altitude or in raw speed, as the P51 is not one of the best accelerating fighters. Climb rate isn't any spectacular too. On the plus side, it's clean aerodynamics result in a fine capability to hold that E.
Pony has probably a better  view from cockpit than any other fighter. Use this huge advantage!
Flaps do help you at turning, but use them sparingly. One or two notches as needed, but don't leave them down longer than absolute neccessary. Full flaps don't help much at all, they mostly just slow you down. Avoid prolonged dogfights with more maneuverable opponents, unless you have developed a high level of proficiency in this ship.
Last but not least, make sure you have your convergence set to the distance you usually fire at. If hitting your target at convergence range, the 6 .50cal guns can have a good snapshot kill capability.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
How to fly the P51
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »
Very Well Said Lusche. Thank you for that.
I would also say if you know you are going to dog fight in it, your better with drop tanks, and 50% fuel. Just to lighten the load a tad, the 51 holds alot of fuel for a fighter.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
The Pony loves speed. Keep her fast, it's one of the best handling plane at high speeds and as a good instantaneous turn rate. While it's fast at every altitude, it's better to keep her at some altitude, going to the deck only in emergencies. Not only some planes are a tad faster there (La7, Tempest, Typhoon, 190D9 ) but many slower planes can get enough speed by diving onto you.
Always watch your energy, either stored in altitude or in raw speed, as the P51 is not one of the best accelerating fighters. Climb rate isn't any spectacular too. On the plus side, it's clean aerodynamics result in a fine capability to hold that E.
Pony has probably a better  view from cockpit than any other fighter. Use this huge advantage!
Flaps do help you at turning, but use them sparingly. One or two notches as needed, but don't leave them down longer than absolute neccessary. Full flaps don't help much at all, they mostly just slow you down. Avoid prolonged dogfights with more maneuverable opponents, unless you have developed a high level of proficiency in this ship.
Last but not least, make sure you have your convergence set to the distance you usually fire at. If hitting your target at convergence range, the 6 .50cal guns can have a good snapshot kill capability.

Sorry but this gives rise to a few questions (Iam doing a bit of reading myself though so one day I may be able to get off the collective tit).

1)"and has a good instantaneous turn rate" ?

2)"snapshot kill capability" ?

:o :confused: :o :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
Originally posted by 4deck
Very Well Said Lusche. Thank you for that.
I would also say if you know you are going to dog fight in it, your better with drop tanks, and 50% fuel. Just to lighten the load a tad, the 51 holds alot of fuel for a fighter.

I ve noticed this and drop one tank on take off as you would seldom need both. When I want to carry a major ord load I sometimes take 75%. Is it best then to burn the auxillary tank first as this is the one that de stabilised the plane. I think I read this somewhere but because of its proximity to the centre of gravity it seems counter intuitive. Any info on this?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »
Instantaneous turn rate is defined by the turning performance you achieve momentarily at higher speeds. The F4U corsair for example can drop flaps 10 degrees at around 250 mph, and if you pull on the stick at the same time, you get a really quick, and tight turn since the flaps are helping you turn tighter.

After you turn for a while longer, your plane starts to slow down too much due to drag and its turn rate becomes slow because those flaps may be helping you turn tighter, but your moving so slow, it's really not doing you any good. This continuous turning is known as sustained turn rate, at which the P-51 Mustang performs poorly. Remember, you can determine how most aircraft perform in turns when you calculate their wing-loading or weight-to-wing area ratio. Planes with slats and bent wings may surprise you though ;)

A snapshot kill is defined by a victory gained when the enemy aircraft is in your shot solution for a split second and you fire a burst at that split second. If he goes down with that short burst, that's a snapshot kill.

And yes, the P-51 Mustang did have a huge rear fuel tank of fuel which did inhibit some smelly handling qualities and some pilots would actually drain that tank before the drop tanks because of the instability it caused. You won't really feel it since we have our combat trim system which automatically keeps the plane stable but you will feel the affect in maneuvers. The rear tank (labeled as AUX on the fuel tank gage in the game) is only filled at all during 75 - 100% fuel loads.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:39:10 AM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:19 AM »
Thankyou pappy all of that is now as clear as my 6 is going to be:D
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:32:58 AM »
private message me and i might be able to help you out p51 is sorta my specialty:rolleyes:
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
private message me and i might be able to help you out p51 is sorta my specialty:rolleyes:
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34:10 PM »
Freezman is very good in the pony......

Fly a jug. That way ya cant run hardly ever and 8 .50's are fun.

All kidding aside...find freezman....he can give ya some serious help.

even is he does say it twice:lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 02:20:49 AM »
ahhh dammit double post bahhh:D

ty red top yes im willing to help you out just pm what time your on im on break currently but will be returning for a few days in august:aok
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
How to fly the P51
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 06:08:44 AM »
Yarbles,
go check out the  Aces High Training Staff's Website for information regarding the different turn types
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
Instantaneous Turns vs. Sustained Turns

also read up on Turning on the edge of the Blackout/Turning on the edge of the Stall & read up on Lead, Pure & Lag Pursuit

go check out DOK's
Aces High Fighter Comparison Website
pick / click on  from  1 to  2, 3, or even 4 plane models on the left then click the submit button..it will show you how the plane you are wanting information for matches /sizes up to up to 3 other different plane types ( the turn radius part I do believe is for sustained turn rate/radius only mean bested sustained turn. )

I am not sure how updated Dok & the contributors keep  Dok's website.....either

One thing I would encourage you to consider, is as long as you can pull 6 G's or more or are above 225/230  I would not ( my self personally ) even consider using flaps any at all  with maybe that 1 rare occassion ....... I find the 225/230 IAS speed mark to be a good reference point to sometimes pop out the 1st notch.....

The combat Trim / Manual Trim is a personal preference as well, just like one's convergence points....

I prefer to get the P51D up to around 325/340 IAS in level flight and manual Trim to that speed ( or let the Combat Trim do the work for you at that speed.)  Once you are cruising along level at 325 to 340 IAS ( indicated Air Speed in MPH  = the White Needle ) then turn off Combat Trim ( toggle Ctrl-X) or just manual Trim there and leave it....... To me this allows the plane to perform much better than fighting the CT trimming effect when trying to obtain a guns solution ( helps steady the nose of the plane ) and allows for a more precise pull to your target windows rather than pushing the nose down ( ie again fighting the CT elevator trimming ).......

as others have said, keep her fast, and let her breathe......instantaneous turns are awesome in this plane very good for offensive attacks un unsuspecting victims because she can turn quite quickly ........

Cardinal Rules:
Always keep enough speed to go vertical
Fighting Style Dependent - if BnZing bug out if speed drops below 180/170 extend and setup attack again
if Turn/Angles /stall fighting try not to go below your sustained turn rate speed, disengage and  extend resetup for a remerge......

E = Alt + Speed = Life  ( not saying fly around at 20k alt all the time either though )

The trim setting I use, lets me quickly regain speed when I come over the top of a loop or nose down! again because it is not fighting the Combat Trim there is less exposed surface there for to cause increased drag ( although trim tabs cause very little drag,  this is best way I can think of describing the effect right now )....... my prefered guns convergence is 350 for all guns as well.....but I prefer high deflection/snapshots

now I am not against CT ( Combat Trim ), and or scaling.......what works best for you is what you should do..period!!! but you never know what you might learn if you experiment with the different settings and flying Styles.........might possibly find something to improve one's own game :aok

good luck , hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 06:10:22 AM »
Thank you very much for the offer of help Iam on vacation u ntil mid auguust and then I am looking forwrd to getting in touch. :)
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
How to fly the P51
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 11:13:45 AM »
I think I read a post by Widewing stating that the P-51 in our game actually had a turn radius that was 100 feet too long... I wonder how much more arse the P-51 would kick with that extra 100 feet.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.