Author Topic: WishLists vs Development Resources  (Read 877 times)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
WishLists vs Development Resources
« on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
I'm going to try and start a debate on future additions.

Historical Reference and Context
We have seen 3 new additions to the game in the last 20 months, and 12 in the last 37 months since ver 2.00: Sherman Firefly, F4UA1, Jeep, Bf 109G-14, Spitfire XVI, Spitfire VIII. P47N, P38 F (later G) and J, B24J, T34, and Ki84.  We have 1 expected addition, probably well before the end of this year.  If someone sees a correction to that, or would like to add addition models and dates prior to that, please feel free.  

Future additions
Now, we've all see long laundry lists of Wish List planes, but as new additions come at the above rate, I'd like to pose the following to the forum members.  It will be a measure of the forum membership itself in a ways: their knowledge, perspective, persuasiveness, ability to present their case,...maturity..... and the ability to read, understand, and follow directions.  

Challenge
Present 1 (ONE) new plane addition to the game, and the reasons behind your choice.  Not: "itd b kewl", or "i want dis".  Present a well reasoned argument for your particular choice.  Which arenas would it be found in?  How would it compete in each arena and against the other planesets?  What does it bring to the game?  What role does it serve in the SEA?  Is it a perk ride to provide an additional perk sink to the buff drivers or GVrs?  What does it do for a particular plane-set that does not exist yet.  Is there a particular version you suggest?

Restrictions
  • Must be an addition from WWII that actually saw combat operations (more than 1 rare, freak instance as well).  i.e. No A-1 Skyraiders.
  • Must have had a reasonable production model produced in relation to that country's overall production.  i.e. No Russian Pe-8's (less than 100 made).

I'll not partake nor critique any selections, I leave that to the rest of the board members.

So, convince me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:50:12 PM by tedrbr »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: WishLists vs Development Resources
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
I'm going to try and start a debate on future additions.

Historical Reference and Context
We have seen 3 new additions to the game in the last 20 months, and 12 in the last 37 months since ver 2.00: Sherman Firefly, F4UA1, Jeep, Bf 109G-14, Spitfire XVI, Spitfire VIII. P47N, P38 F (later G) and J, B24J, T34, and Ki84.  We have 1 expected addition, probably well before the end of this year.  If someone sees a correction to that, or would like to add addition models and dates prior to that, please feel free.  

You forgot the Spitfire Mk XIV unless my memory is shot and was added before 2.0.  I don't know why you've listed a P-38F then added the "late G" to it.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
Sweet! you actually answered a thread that I started about five years ago lol.

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45780

As for my Plane (and before this thread descends into laundry list hell)

Do I even have to say it?

D4Y Judy.

This mid war CV strike plane would be a good addition in my opinion, because as it stands now, the only IJN CV strike planes that we have are the 1940-41 D3A and B5N, which don't stand a chance against US planes in a carrier duel.

While the D4Y retains a limited bombload, is it much faster than any Carrier strike plane in the current inventory, and would give the Japanese a fighting chance in mid-late war Carrier battles.

This plane will find a home in the Special Events Arena, as well as any Mid war Axis v. Allies setup. It may see limited use in the standard mid-war arena, but I would doubt it and this remains the ultimate downfall of the plane.

However, as it stands there isn't a lot of fun in Deploying an IJN CV past Mid 1942 since flying the Val against Hellcats and Hogs is futility squared.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: WishLists vs Development Resources
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
You forgot the Spitfire Mk XIV unless my memory is shot and was added before 2.0.  I don't know why you've listed a P-38F then added the "late G" to it.  

ack-ack

Spitfire Mk XIV was added back in 1.09 or 1.10, as I recall.  Might be a different version, but definatley in AH1.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PanzerIV

• Nickel Member
      • http://17thawsquad.aowc.net/main.asp
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
I was looking through the German heavy bombers, and found one, please direct me to any others but over 1000 models were built of these.

Dornier Do 217M-1-347mph, twin engined, 4 7.92mm, 2 13mm.
Up to 4000kg of disposable stores.

This is from wikipedia so it may not be all true.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:27:20 PM by PanzerIV »

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Re: Re: WishLists vs Development Resources
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
ack-ack

Original release note list it as adding the P-38F, but we have the P-38G in the game now.  There was apparently a change, but I did not see the release notes for it.  I've not come across release notes for the Spitfire Mk XIV.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »
Believe the P-38F in the release notes was a typo.  We've never had the F in AH, it's always been the G for the early P-38 model.  Even the screenshots that were released showed it was the G model.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:46:39 PM »
Beaufighter

Saw service from 1940 until the end.

Served in every theater of the war.

Multipole roles from Night fighter, to attack to torpedo bomber etc.

RAF, FAA, RAAF, USAAF use

Heavily armed and armored which would give it a better then good chance at survivabilty in an MA environment.

Multiple scenario uses again from PTO to MTO to ETO

A Skinner's dream with all the different colors it wore.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »
LaGG 3, or Mig 3- main Soviet aircraft at the outbreak of operation Barbarossa. Plus they're just good looking.
Tu-2- Soviet bomber. Heavier load and faster than B26.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re: WishLists vs Development Resources
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Original release note list it as adding the P-38F, but we have the P-38G in the game now.  There was apparently a change, but I did not see the release notes for it.  I've not come across release notes for the Spitfire Mk XIV.

We never had an F model P38.  We had the L to begin with.  It was updated at the time they added the 38J-15 and 38G

Spit 14 was here from early on with the Spitfire IX and Spitfire Vc we had.  It was updated when the Spit VIII was added and the Spit 16 while the Spit Vc was backdated to an early Spit Vb
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »

General characteristics
•   Crew: one pilot
•   Length: 6.13 m (20.1 ft)
•   Wingspan: 9.00 m (29.5 ft)
•   Height: 2.25 m (7.38 ft)
•   Wing area: 14.54 m² (156.5 ft²)
•   Empty weight: 1,383 kg (3,049 lb)
•   Loaded weight: 1,882 kg (4,149 lb)
•   Max takeoff weight: 2,050 kg (4,520 lb)
•   Powerplant: 1× Shvetsov M-63 air-cooled radial engine, 670 kW (900 hp) driving a two-blade propeller
Performance
•   Maximum speed: 460 km/h (290 mph)
•   Range: 440 km (275 mi)
•   Service ceiling: 9,700 m (31,800 ft)
•   Rate of climb: 14.7 m/s (2,900 ft/min)
•   Wing loading: 129 kg/m² (26 lb/ft²)
•   Power/mass: 0.36 kW/kg (0.22 hp/lb)
Armament
•   4× fixed forward-firing 7.62 mm (.30 cal) ShKAS machine guns, a total of 3,100 rounds of ammunition.
•   6× RS-82 rockets or up to 100 kg (220 lb) of bombs

Built from 1933 through 1941 with over half still in service in 1943 the Polikarpov IL-16 was a historically significant aircraft.  I was the worlds first monoplane fighter, the first with retractable landing gear and the first with a closed cockpit (some versions).  It was built in many varients over it's lifespan including high wing, low wing, single cockpit, dual trainer and with and without canopies but the type 24 was the most used varient in WWII.  The type 28 replaced two of the 7.62 mm ShKAS with two 20mm ShVAK cannons.  It was also one of the top two most produced aircraft used in WWII and flyable versions are still found today.

It would find use in all of the MA's but particularily EW as well as the AvA arena and early war SEA events with lessening use through MW and LW.  In addition, it would add a new airframe to our limited Russian plane-set which currently includes only the YAK and La variations and the IL2 (and no EW planes) which could be easily expanded to include many varients.

Plus it's cool.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:36:34 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
[B  I was the worlds first monoplane fighter,[/B]

Actually this plane came many years before that one.  (1915)

Fokker Eindekker - saw combat WW1
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline hellcatz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 06:10:32 AM »
The B29 should be in because it would make firestorms and major problems to enemy built 1944-1956
 Was built to attack japanese mainland had ocusoially engine fires

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:20:17 AM »
What is that picture in a clock in a tower?
I am a spy!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »
H8k Emily

Well armed and armored it would give the Japanese forces a better punch. Not to mention bringing a whole new kind of plane to Aces High.

It should be available at every port, and be able to rearm by landing  next to a task group. Ideally it would be formation capable like the rest of the big bombers.

This plane has the potential to add an incredible amount of immersion into most arena's.

Ohhh and btw this is one bomber who's guns should NOT be disabled on the ground. Because of its isolated location and distance from defense.