Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 263 times)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Traveling
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:45:06 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good site to find package deals for traveling? Flight, Hotel, Car.  

Myself and 4 of my friends are thinking of taking a trip in september to Memphis, Tennessee, to see Graceland.   We've talked about driving, but it's around 17 hours away, so i think a 2 or 3 hour flight would be a better option.

Right now we're in the basic planning stages, so any help would be great. Thanks.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline SoulTakr

• Copper Member
Traveling
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
While a Flight will be quicker, just think about all the MORE memories you and your friends will have taking a road trip.  You'll either become better friends or hate each other for the rest of your life...lol.

Being Serious...

Try either Expedia @ http://www.expedia.com/daily/deals/default.asp?eapid=13172-1&kword=travel%20deals

or Travelocity @ http://travelocity.lmdeals.com/?Service=TRAVELOCITY

When you get there be sure to take pics and post them.
"Deeds Not Words"

Offline BennyBeaver

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Traveling
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
TRAVELOCITY!!!!!!!!!

FLY ALASKA

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Traveling
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »
I'm with SoulTakr on this one.  Road Trip!

But then, I travel cross country by motorcycle whenever possible when I travel.

And what makes you think a 2-3 hour flight won't turn into a 17 hour ordeal anyways?

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Traveling
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:06:06 PM »
http://www.futuretr.com/
These gals are awesome.  Our company uses them for travel, but they also arrange personal travel.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Traveling
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »
Forgot to mention,due to work schedules,  it's going to be a 4 day trip.. leave here thursday morning, leave there sunday evening.

A road trip would be great if we had at least 1 week or more to spend.

Ingame- Ozone

Offline SoulTakr

• Copper Member
Traveling
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
One day long ago....( not really, few years :) ) I took a trip from Fort Drum, NY w/ a buddy of mine to visit his girl and a girl I had met up here.  We had a 4 Day weekend and drove from Upstate NY to Ft Campbell,KY(TN).  Had a blast, got severely wasted while there(I took a cab around the city) and made it back in time for Morning PT on Tues.  You can make it :)

P.S.  Hell Yeah she was worth it

SISKEL and EBERT gave her  :aok :aok
"Deeds Not Words"

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
Traveling
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
Check with a local travel agent.  They can also recommend some sites and places to stay.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Traveling
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »
Other than Graceland why Memphis?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Traveling
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
I worked in a travel agency / global travel wholesaler.

Best advice I can give you is to NOT go through any travel agency or website.

Don't because:

1 - You'll be paying a BOATLOAD of money you shouldn't. The markup on most websites and travel agencies is well over 40%. That 1000 trip cost you 1400 because you went through an intermediary.

2- Its not guaranteed. Let me repeat that: ITS NOT GUARANTEED. All the legal snot you approve when purchasing the service from the website/agent pretty much gives them the right to tell you: sorry we fuked up, here's your money back, have fun being stranded in an unfamiliar place.

And you cannot argue with the hotel itself, you did not make the agreement with them.

All travel agents will secure the hotel room for you via a wholesaler/supplier. Those wholesaler/suppliers in turn either have a contract with the hotel or buy the room night for your agent... from another wholesaler.

As a bussiness, if the room you purchased in the hotel you selected is not available they will try and put you on the LEAST expensive alternative of equal or better star rating they can find. So that fancy 4 star intercontinental or hyatt hotel you booked is full, its the wholesaler's error.. they put you on the 'technically' 4 star La Quinta 10 miles away... the wholesaler just messed up your vacation, took your money and you cant do anything about it. And IF it comes down to the city being way overbooked (aka concert, event, etc) and theres NOTHING but a 5 star hotel costing 800 bucks a night the wholesaler will NOT place you there but lie to you that they cannot find any room and give you your money back and leave you stranded. Its policy.

My suggestion is to shop around and always buy direct from the source. It will not only be cheaper but also you have a valid guarantee (a hotel cannot leave you stranded)

Here's a few online tools you can use:

http://www.map24.com - map website. Shows hotels in the area. Much better than Google maps for this. Will give you the hotel's direct phone number.

http://www.hoteltravelindex.com - to check if a hotel is really a 1 or 5 star property. Not all hotels are here (of course) but its got the best 'list'. Use this only for non-chain/brand hotels (those you find their star rating on their websites and its trustworthy info).

http://www.kayak.com - search for cheapest avaible flights. Very good search engine. Use it to find the flight # and departure airport, etc.  then call the airline and buy it direct from airline.  

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Traveling
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
Awesome,  Everyone, thanks for the info.  

Soul - wtg on the babe!

Dicho- Good question.  Guess while we're there, we'll try some bar hopping, and try and hook up with some pretty girls with cool accents.  

I'll bump this thread if everything gets the go, which i won't know for a few weeks at least.  

If it does, maybe some of y'all  would like to meet up with a few new yawka's for a few beers.

Ingame- Ozone