Author Topic: Operation Cartwheel Frame 1 Scores  (Read 763 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Operation Cartwheel Frame 1 Scores
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:39:41 PM »
The Axis numerical superiority meant little in the ways of scoring, and the fight that ensued seemed pretty even in number of Aircraft lost and shot down. I also assessed a penalty on the Axis for a severe violation of going over in numbers on the Bad Guys squad. I deducted the amount of 7 air to air single engine aircraft kills from the Axis Final Score.

The Allies Shot Down 75 Aircraft and were awarded 13 Kills for a total of 88.

The Axis Shot Down 73 Aircraft and were awarded 12 Kills for a total of 85.

Very, Very Close and although the Axis shot down less aircraft, the Aircraft Scoring put them ahead by 65 Points.

Single Engine Aircraft: 5
Twin Engine Aircraft: 10 (16 P-38s Lost)

Allies: 450 Points
Axis: 505 Points

But on the ground and on the Sea, the Allies destroyed 2 Fighter Hangars and 1 Bomber Hangar at A10 while the Japanese sank a Destroyer. This put the Allies ahead by a very slim margin. Tally in the Axis Penalty of 35 Points and we get:

Allies: 590 Points
Axis: 525 Points

Orders for Frame 2 have been sent, Good luck this week.

Allies - Clowns of Death - Kurt
Axis - 65th FS ~Fightin' Rogues~ - Dace
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »
Thank you Nef!

First 613th CiC win! (even by that slight of a margin.)

And Axis this was a well fought frame on both sides.

Thanks,
ElD66
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
Nef,

Please take a look again at the destroyer kill credited to the axis.  That was a CA, not a destroyer.  The task group had 4 destroyers and 1 CA in it.  Even though we damaged severely 3 of the 4 DD's, a torp missed and hit the CA.

The orders stated a DD task force was to be the target in that sector.  But we were surprised to see a CA along with it.  There was no mention of the CA whether it was supposed to be there and even a target. But it did have full defensive gun capabilities and was firing.

Looking to see if any of my guys filmed the attack, but according to the setup it would be worth 100 points.
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
There was an Allied squad that were under on thier numbers. Is that penalty worthy, or just if they go over?

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
The CA's were not written into the frame therefore it wasn't counted. The CM's in the arena didn't know if there was or wasn't supposed to have the CA.
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Operation Cartwheel Frame 1 Scores
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
I also assessed a penalty on the Axis for a severe violation of going over in numbers on the Bad Guys squad. I deducted the amount of 7 air to air single engine aircraft kills from the Axis Final Score.

We discussed this with Sled at the end of the frame and pointed out to him that we pawned a few guys off to different squads, they just never changed thier squad names due to time  factor.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKKaz
Nef,

Please take a look again at the destroyer kill credited to the axis.  That was a CA, not a destroyer.  The task group had 4 destroyers and 1 CA in it.  Even though we damaged severely 3 of the 4 DD's, a torp missed and hit the CA.

The orders stated a DD task force was to be the target in that sector.  But we were surprised to see a CA along with it.  There was no mention of the CA whether it was supposed to be there and even a target. But it did have full defensive gun capabilities and was firing.

Looking to see if any of my guys filmed the attack, but according to the setup it would be worth 100 points.

I got film of it and I didn't miss my target, I just aimed for the biggest boat out there.... and hit it.
Never went for anything else as guys were lined up on the other ships so I went for the last one that was not hit yet and it went down.
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »
We discussed this with Sled at the end of the frame and pointed out to him that we pawned a few guys off to different squads, they just never changed thier squad names due to time factor.
Mongrels have done that.

There was an Allied squad that were under on thier numbers. Is that penalty worthy, or just if they go over?
In the past more slack is cut to squads that are under numbers. Sometimes that is unavoidable, but squads that are over are usually looked at more carefully. We were over last month, but had some guys fly as observers, and with other squads.

Sled gets the joy of making those calls. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
Mongrels have done that.

In the past more slack is cut to squads that are under numbers. Sometimes that is unavoidable, but squads that are over are usually looked at more carefully. We were over last month, but had some guys fly as observers, and with other squads.

Sled gets the joy of making those calls. :)

It's hit & miss really daddog, if you up the #'s to 32 players only 20 show up, when you put the #'s to 16-21,  32 show up and i wish some consideration would be put into that.

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »
I hear you Sweet, but they really do make those considerations and have over the years. It is just impossible to have sides even remotely balanced if you don’t have some kind of line in the sand for how many are allowed to fly. If you look at the numbers squads have to commit themselves to it really is a wide spread. Keep in mind that squads can have up to 2 pilots under and 2 pilots over their committed numbers.
4-6 is really 2-8 pilots
7-10 is really 5 -12 pilots and so forth.

I have always had a mid size to larger size squad in Squad Ops. Over the years we have been under and over at times. I think our fewest number was 9, but we have had as many as 25. What we have done (seems to work best) and currently do with my squad is first come first serve rule. Right now we are slotted with 16-21 pilots. So we can have as many as 23. Once we reach 23 we know who is flying. When the 24th pilot shows up he is flying as an observer, gunner, with another squad, or off to the MA. It is not any fun being late, but it is a great encouragement for all squadies to show up on time. :) It will to a great degree help you to get a better hold on what your numbers will be like from month to month.

The other thing I did is ask all the squadies how many FSO’s they think they will make in an average month. 1,2, or 3. When I received the numbers from everyone I simply added them up and divided it by 3 to get a rough average of how many would show up on Friday’s. It worked well and would especially for the larger squads where the number can fluctuate widely. :)
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:13 PM »
Great post Ddog.

What we are talking about here is planning and discipline.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:39 AM »
Originally posted by ELD66
The CA's were not written into the frame therefore it wasn't counted. The CM's in the arena didn't know if there was or wasn't supposed to have the CA.

Written into the frame or not, it was there.  Capitol ships carry capitol defensive firepower.  I can't really see having a task group where the capitol ship is not a target.  I don't see where it stated CA was not a target, but I don't see where it was either.  Either way, it was in the task force and should have been subject to being a target.

If it was meant to be a DD and not a CA, shouldn't really be a factor as it had the guns of a CA and not a DD.  Just thought it should be brought up and checked seeing how I was surprised it was in the group but the group makeup was never specified from what I can see.
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:25:48 AM »
I will look into the logs and adjust the scoring if in fact it was a Cruiser. Until then the scores stand. I do know for a fact knuckels left the cruisers in both fleets. I specifically wrote them in the orders this week, because of it.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
Great post Ddog.

What we are talking about here is planning and discipline.
Oops. I missed the point as usual then. :o Was trying to give some suggestions to Sweet. I will be quiet now. :)
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »
Originally posted by AKKaz
Just thought it should be brought up and checked seeing how I was surprised it was in the group but the group makeup was never specified from what I can see.

Definitely agree. To go into a fleet and survive is hard. To do it vs a CA (instead of DDs) is even harder still. Those torp pilots had to face a LOT more firepower than they were supposed to, and still pulled off the job -- only now it doesn't count?

I say make it count, turn OFF the CAs in the next frames (as it was intended), and carry on with the correction for the remaining 2 frames.

Then again, it's not up to me. I'm just voicing my opinion.