Author Topic: Any interest....  (Read 831 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Any interest....
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
OK, had to wait till I got home from work to get a film name. As an example, your film you posted recently called "A20pony". In it you fight Blauvv in his B pony. First merge is with him at your 11 oclock high.

Next two merges have you coming down out of a loop on top of him, but in both cases you DON'T got for a shot. With out black outs off and such in the film viewer its hard to see what was up, were you setting him up for a later move, or were you trying not to loose parts due to G, or where you already pulling all you had?

After that you get into a rolling scissor with him. On the first cross, it looks like you almost pulled the stick out of the floor to get off a snap shot, then after that for the next 4-5 crosses you DON"T go for the shot.

Once you get him out front, you start peppering him, then the P47 joins the fight. It seems you went after the P47 with all the intentions of spelling out in no uncertain terms that he shouldn't have interrupted the fight. So much so that when the pony came back, with a spit, you let them pound on you while you continued to try and finish off the P47.

ohhh and I love that you didn't die  :)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm actually already using the pony clip as a "tutorial" on what i'm trying to convey...I'll try and answer some of it here...

1st there isnt really a "right or wrong" beyond the variables I tried to outline, 2nd often when you look at realtive positioning & E state later you find out you were wrong at the time...and you did the "wrong" thing that worked out right:aok

Going specifically to the scissors my intent prior was to create this fight. Ideally he'd have converted to an E fight and retaken the high ground (I didnt know who he was beyond he was a fine stick). The goal was to immediately apply "pressure" to force the rolling scissor as best I could...then convert back to lag quickly to manage a fight that favored my plane. Here is the scissors broken out. When you look at the speeds its a pretty fast scissors...very easy for the A-20 to bleed out. Once I feel he's really locked in then I slow it down but had he converted to a spiral climb ets early on I'd have been toast had I gone "all in"...

To be honest I was target fixated on the jug and the spitty took an engine out...so I was just looking to get the jug while i could.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
I'm going to have to figure how to get stills from a film clip but i'll walk you thru the initial thoughts....

1) 8 seconds...my preferred merge profile...I'm under with my lift vector right on the con but out of plane to him.

2)11 secs note i've adjusted my lift vector twice a bit and he's responded. I've got him "centered" but in lag transitioning to vertical...he's moved his to a high lag also...1st sign to me hes a good stick...

3) 23 sec...we've both adjusted and he's gone very aggresive. To me this is either a dweeb move or a sign I need to be careful...given my thoughts on merge I go defensive

4) 29 seconds I've rotated my lift vector on thru and from the clip if I hadnt he'd have had a look coming up. 109's and ponies can get very aggresive from the under. I'm now in a pure "I want the high ground mode"...

5) 38 seconds Moment of decision...bwackkk bwackkk (chicken noise)

6) 42-43 sec..notice I rotate a bit away...I want lag positioning...now we're going for the scissors for sure...

7) 59 secs...there was no pull for the shot the roll set me up with a pure view..

8) "Missed it by that much" {maxwell Smart voice} what you view as pulling is really rolling...average speed here is 250+ and G load is about 3...if you look at next point of comment

9)1:19 To me this is the toughwst thing to teach/learn/do right. I "flip" to the other oblique vertical as soon as I see him get his lift vector and angles right. Had I continued with the "same scissors" he'd have had me (IMO). By flipping right as he got to "even" I regained the initiative...

10 1:26...game over. {in the sense that I "won" the scissors}

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »
One last comment for now...

Blauvv is a very good pony driver IMO. He's handicapped here in that he's got relatively little current experience on fighting the A-20. Only previous stick I know is Cobia (i'm sure there are others)...but thats only 1 "style" of A-20 driving. Next time we meet (or he approaches another agressive a-20) he'll fly a different fight. The A-20 is a two edged sword, it takes time and patience to kill one with reasonable alt & E...and its dangerous to ignore. As for the A-20 driver this film is the reality. You dont fly alot of round trips. I felt like I flew a good hop and the only thing I got was a guy who augered trying to avoid my cripple at the end:). however the truth is the A-20 is a joy to fly....some of the most fun fights i've ever had in AH.

I'll continue to work this up to a more polished product and build out the film library a bit before I finsih with the bird......

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
ive been lucky enough to fly as tail gunner on a small number of snaphooks sorties, and wow, he knows his stuff like no one else i know.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »
I went thru and cleaned up the A-20 clips (looking for one of Bat and I)...came across this one. It's basically a "dueling" clip with an La-7. Another pretty good "lift vector" primer. Also has a pretty good example of "E defense" if you look at the sequence in the 140-150 mark. Thats probably the biggest thing I've been working on. Later you get a good dose of target fixation (mine)...some is just me but I've learned that cripples kill if your in an A-20. As you can see the a-20 survives (minus a piece or two) and I was fine...except I misjudged elevator authority...argghh

Parts...I need parts...

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Any interest....
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
ive been lucky enough to fly as tail gunner on a small number of snaphooks sorties, and wow, he knows his stuff like no one else i know.

hehe yup, I've got dying with style down pat:aok

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
Any interest....
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 05:54:04 AM »
you can get a .docx reader free from microsoft.

I'll add a link when i have time to find it
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop