Author Topic: Max Load Mags?  (Read 396 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Max Load Mags?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Most of these people you hear about loading short, or rotating magazines, stems from the maintenance, or improper maintenance of the M16 magazines in Vietnam.  

Just like the rifle, magazines do need to be cleaned and cared for.  The magazines could be disassembled as well.  However, the spring in the mag had a proper orientation, but looked very similar forward or back.  The spring's properties weren't right when oriented backwards.  

A fully loaded mag with a backwards spring would not operate correctly.  So, instead of checking every single mag to see if the spring was right (even then, you could analyze wrong), most people just started loading 2 short.

I've heard conflicting information about whether or not spring fatigue is a problem, either by constant loading, constant reloading, or neither.

Source?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Max Load Mags?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »
http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#downloading  

As well as other places I can't remember off the top of my head.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
Max Load Mags?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 04:26:48 AM »
good find laser, thats an interesting site.

3. Some tactical squads download their back-up magazines by one round to make a tactical reload (which is done with a round chambered and the bolt forward) easier.  This is because of the reduced upward pressure on the rounds

thats the only reason i dont fully load some mags for the ar. with a fully loaded stirling manufactured  20 round mag its an arm wrestle to get it locked in the rifle with the bolt carrier foward. stirling mags are top quality with tough springs that dont easily fatigue, but ive found its not such a problem with the seemingly weaker springed colt and gi mags. if you leave any mag fully loaded or even a few rounds shy of fully loaded for an extended period of time it stands to reason it must cause some fatigue to the spring, with the degree of fatigue and any resulting reliability issues with the mag ( if any) mostly determind by the quality of the spring.  I bought a bunch of precision mag industries steel 40 round mags for the ar and armalite from numrich and killed one by leaving it fully loaded for 2 or 3 months. it stuffed the spring in a $24.95 mag... which i didn't think was exactly cheap and expected better