Author Topic: Japan 1945 now in the AvA  (Read 950 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Japan 1945 now in the AvA
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 12:22:55 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Hmm not to stir the pot anymore than it already is.
Ded take that nik or 84 and go up against Widewing in a 4hog.
There is no need to pick in a 4hog.

Bronk

Well, the F4U-4 has the edge because it can pick and choose how and when it engages. However, even with full flaps out it can't out-turn a well flown Niki. Moreover, the Ki-84 would be a hard fight if flown by someone like Dedalos.

I would not be unhappy flying the Niki or Ki-84 against the -4, if I could suck him into a low-speed vertical fight.

Actually, I'd be far more wary of cherry picking Chogs than the F4U-4. Four Hispanos are extremely lethal, only needing a couple of hits to knock you down.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

VWE

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
The Japanese plane set is full you say? So where are these aircraft in the hanger, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka

Mitsubishi G4M

Yokosuka P1Y Ginga

Kawasaki Ki-100

Kawasaki Ki-45

Nakajima Ki-43

Nakajima Ki-44

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 12:35:11 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Hmm not to stir the pot anymore than it already is.
Ded take that nik or 84 and go up against Widewing in a 4hog.
There is no need to pick in a 4hog.

Bronk

Ahhh, you got me all wrong.  I did not say that the plane makes you cherry pick.  I said don't give the cherry pickers the tools to cherry pick.  I am not talking about the guys that will take the F4U4 into a fight.  We all know who I am talking about.  Do you need names?  You know who the cherry pros of AvA are.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Oh brother... No comment. :rolleyes:

Well, you could say lets try it.  Maybe I am wrong :D  I am whilling to show you why I think I am right.  Are you?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Well, the F4U-4 has the edge because it can pick and choose how and when it engages. However, even with full flaps out it can't out-turn a well flown Niki. Moreover, the Ki-84 would be a hard fight if flown by someone like Dedalos.

I would not be unhappy flying the Niki or Ki-84 against the -4, if I could suck him into a low-speed vertical fight.

Actually, I'd be far more wary of cherry picking Chogs than the F4U-4. Four Hispanos are extremely lethal, only needing a couple of hits to knock you down.

My regards,

Widewing

Yep, I forgot about the 1C.  I picked the 4 beacuse of its speed and clime. No other reason

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Ahhh, you got me all wrong.  I did not say that the plane makes you cherry pick.  I said don't give the cherry pickers the tools to cherry pick.  I am not talking about the guys that will take the F4U4 into a fight.  We all know who I am talking about.  Do you need names?  You know who the cherry pros of AvA are.

Ahh rgr that ded.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »
It would be fun to use that terrain but with 1942 planesets.

~AoM~

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:49 PM »
Have to concur:  the Japanese plane set in the game does not support either a Late War AvA arena or SEA event.  

The addition of the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden "Jack", Ki-44IIc  Shōki "Tojo", and Yokosuka D4Y Suisei "Judy", as well as a gun heavy option for the Ki-84, would at least make things interesting in a LW PTO map against all the LW USAAF and USN planes available.  

Can't see developing the under-armed Oscar, any earlier medium bombers than the "Peggy" we have.  Ki-100 too close to the existing Ki-61 to justify development time.  

Most of the rest of the Japanese MW/LW additions would be under performers, or had extremely limited numbers developed (single digit and teens like the aforementioned Mitsubishi J8M/Me 163 = 7 built, and the Nakajima G8N "Renzan" heavy bomber, also 7 built).   Might be a few diamonds in the rough though, I can't think what right now.

And what is the Seafire doing in the Allies plane set, from Essex carriers no less????  I'm sure there were still a few British and Australian units in the area, but not many, and mostly land based in Indo-China and Indonesia.  On the flip side, no B-26's or A-20's?   I'm sure the B-25 will be added later when available.

The map however is great.

VWE

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
The seafire was added because the acklies don't have enough to choose from in this setup...

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Waiting for the inevitable "hey lets sub the 109 for xxx.".

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 04:15:44 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
What he said.  NIKIs and Ki84s are available right?  No US plane can play with them cept the F4U4 but only because it can disengage and try to get the advantage.

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Yeah, I know, easy for for everyone to come in here and say :rofl .  No one ever wants to show me how I am wrong :confused:

Quick check said you a P38L pilot whose #1 killer was the NIKI :rofl  :rofl
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:26:58 PM by dedalos »

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »
Don't forget, this map comes with 262, 163 and 234 skinned with Japanese markings.

Also note: A119 air spawn is purely defensive, there are no bomber spawn points, just points to intercept bomber formations.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Have to concur:  the Japanese plane set in the game does not support either a Late War AvA arena or SEA event.

I have to ask, do any of you folks fly the Japanese planes?  These pronouncements that the Japanese 1945 plane set is helpless against the 1945 Allied plane set simply run counter to years of experience we've had in AvA.

And what is the Seafire doing in the Allies plane set, from Essex carriers no less????  I'm sure there were still a few British and Australian units in the area, but not many, and mostly land based in Indo-China and Indonesia.  

"After initial placement on Russian convoy routes, Seafires saw most service in the Far East Pacific campaigns, serving with No. 887 and 894 Squadrons aboard HMS Indefatigable and joining the British Pacific Fleet late in 1944. Due to their good high altitude performance and lack of ordnance-carrying capabilities (compared to the Hellcats and Corsairs of the Fleet) the Seafires were allocated the vital defensive duties of Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over the fleet. Seafires were thus heavily involved in countering the Kamikaze attacks during the Iwo Jima landings and beyond. The Seafires' best day was 15 August 1945, shooting down eight attacking aircraft for a single loss. During the campaign 887 FAA claimed 12 kills, and 894 FAA claimed 10 kills (with two more claims earlier in 1944 over Norway)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Seafire.  Now, granting that it's a Wikipedia cite, is there some evidence that it's wrong?  As to the carriers, HTC simply doesn't model the British armored deck carriers, so we use what we have.

On the flip side, no B-26's or A-20's?   I'm sure the B-25 will be added later when available.

Educate me.  Were the medium bombers bombing Japan in 1945?

The map however is great.

It really is a beautiful piece of work.

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731

Educate me.  Were the medium bombers bombing Japan in 1945?

- oldman

5th AF B25s were hitting shipping off the south coast of Japan and hitting targets near Kyushu in the summer of 45.  Don't believe A20s ever got there though. B26s were not being operated by the 5th AF at that point.

The Flak was heavy on the south coast and the 345th for example suffered a lot of losses to flak.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters