Author Topic: APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)  (Read 513 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:21:40 AM »
Does anyone here use this setting when ripping cds?  Does it actually retain the CD quality sound?

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Yes, it's a bit-for-bit exact copy of the information on the CD. However it takes a lot of space because it is not compressed in any way (one CD= 650-700 MB). You'd be better off using 320 kbs MP3 compression; there's no quality loss that the human ear can notice.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
Audiophile "But I can HEAR the bits!" superstition post in 3...  2...  1....

(Bonus points if they use 'dynamic range' in their response)
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
90% of everything I have is at 128 kbps. It sounds perfectly fine to me :)
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
viking,

Not entirely true about file size.  There are lossless compression techiques that can drop file size by 50% or more, depending on the data.  Remember zip file compression?  That is lossless of course, and I remember getting anywhere from 20% to 40% compression ratios back when floppies were considered valid backup media.

I dunno how good apple's lossless compression is but it should yield some compression gains over the raw bitstream.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
Yes, it's a bit-for-bit exact copy of the information on the CD. However it takes a lot of space because it is not compressed in any way (one CD= 650-700 MB). You'd be better off using 320 kbs MP3 compression; there's no quality loss that the human ear can notice.

This info is not correct.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
Then correct me.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:45:09 PM »
I just bought a Sony MDR V6 (1980s headphones) for $100.  It's the best $100 gadget I ever bought.  It has a response range of 5hz to 30,000hz.  These headphones, I must say, are very "revealing".

With this headphone, my 128 kbps lossy mp3s collections turned into trash overnight:(

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »
Minimum 192 for me since I got my Sennheisers a couple years ago.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »
Then correct me.

You said the data was not compressed in any way. In fact it is compressed -- with ALAC the compressed file is usually 40-60% the size of the original file.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »
They're not compressed in any way on the CD. As a file they may be compressed somewhat, but the files are still going to be very large compared to high-bitrate lossy compression, by a factor of 10 or so.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:32:11 AM »
Anyone who compares 128-bit mp3 to a similar cd-recording and doesn't notice any difference needs nothing better than the 128-bit mp3.

In fact, this kind of a person most likely owns a $200 compact stereosystem and is happy with it.

Then there are people with $20k systems who are dreaming of $200k systems and can indeed hear the difference.

Then there are psychos with $200k systems who developed a personal problem from audio.

And finally there are rich people who could settle with the $200 system but bought the $200k system to show off.

Now what was my point? :huh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:34:19 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 04:42:06 AM »
You'd be better off using 320 kbs MP3 compression; there's no quality loss that the human ear can notice.
The human ear CAN notice the difference.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 06:04:26 AM »
I have found that 192 is a good compressionrate, but now that all kinds of storage is dirt cheap i usually rip my cds to harddrives without any compression at all. For use on my cellphone i use 192 tho and with a 2gig mem card in it I have room for plenty of tunes.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
APPLE LOSSLESS (iPOD)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:38:01 AM »
The thing with mp3's is that it's hard to hear the difference untill you can do a side-by-side comparison with the original. That's when the differences become apparent.

I have an outdoor system with an 18-inch horn subwoofer capable of 137db dynamic peaks and there's a huge difference between an mp3 and direct cd. The cd sounds tight, punchy and dynamic where the mp3 is softer and round in peaks. Both sound quite ok but with cd there's that extra tight punch to the body which lacks in mp3. With my electrostatic panels I can also hear big difference in ambience, space reproduction and punch.

They all sound equally horrible with the cheap ministereo we have downstairs.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone