Author Topic: Bass Pro Shops.....Garland  (Read 412 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Bass Pro Shops.....Garland
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »
The good. The bad and.....the yet undecided.
I needed an ignition switch for my Suntracker pontoon boat due to moron , wannabe thieves.
I did a quick search and as expected found the nearest BPS or Tracker Marine was the new Outdoor World/BPS recently built on Lake Ray Hubbard.
10:00 AM Tuesday: Grab the phone. Make the call. Numerous ringie dings later I get the nicest voice asking "how may I help you?". "Boat parts please". More and longer ringie dingies. Answering machine with the message that they are tied up or some such horse flop and to leave a number and your call will be returned. Riiiiiiiight!
10:30 AM Tuesday: Grab the phone. Make the call. Ringie dingies.....extended. Sweet voice again (Michelle).;)  Same routine. Same results. Riiight!
11:00 AM Tuesday: Same routine. Same results with the exception that I actualy left my name, number and what I needed. I also had the feeling I had given in to a pesky system , even knowing I would never recieve a return call. Frustration sets in.
11:45 AM Tuesday: No return call as expected. The phone was answered by someone in boat sales who stated they would transfer me to boat parts. :) Put on hold. Listened to the looped recording a few times. I now feel much better knowing what Tracker is doing for the environment.)
An unknown, unidentified, female voice picks up asking who and what I am holding for. Asks me if I would like to leave my number or hold. I`m not falling for the old "We`ll get back to you routine again. :)
Back on hold. Click. Wahoooooooo...........but no. It`s the boat parts recorder again. DOH!
1:15 Tuesday: Same crap.
1:45 Tuesday: Piled higher.
2:15 Tuesday: Deeper.
2:45 Tuesday: Connection made and I hear voices of people in the store...but no answer. Click! Disconnect.
Redial. Same results.
Redial. Instant connection. Instant disconnection.
2:50 Tuesday: Had to grab a cool one before continuing. Got Michelle again and asked her wtf was going on in parts. She said that just one person was in parts and he could only answer and return so many calls. (with an attitude )
Asked if she had the numbers and locations of a Tracker dealer where I might actualy be able to buy parts. (with an attitude:)) She gave me the numbers for Lupotato peelin and Longview. :)
Finaly got on the net and got the number for Grapevine Tracker. They had the part in stock.
Wednesday morning: leave Tawakoni and head out.
Since I had to go right by Outdoor World on Hubbard I thought I might as well go in and try in person. If I had to go to Grapevine I knew I would end up at Cavanaugh Flight Museum, but didn`t really want to make the drive.
Gettin in to the parts dept. is sort of like going into a high security area. Behind electronicaly locked doors, buzzer.the whole smear. Finaly got in and guess what. There are zero customers in the dept., but three guys behind the counter playing grab ***. :)
They had four different ignition switch models...........but not the one I needed. Said they could have it Friday and would give me a call when it came in. Riiiiiiiight! :) I feel a continuing saga coming on. We`ll see. :)
Anywhoooooooo.........since this was my first trip to the new place , I decided to look around and make the trip worthwhile.
This Outdoor World is a super nice place although I don`t believe it is quite as large as the one in Shreveport. Very interesting and entertaining though.
I drooled at the large portrait of Fred Bear in the archery dept. They also had some pretty good sales going on in clothing.
I had been told the food in the restaurant was fantastic and we decided to check it out.
I had a large, large plater of fried gator with the trimmings. Fantastic. I highly
suggest you try it if in the area and are into that sort of vittles. :)
So............the saga will continue tomorrow. Stay tuned.
 :rofl
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Scatcat

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:49 AM »
I was recently interested in purchasing a youth rifle for my 12 year old.  I went to the Bass Pro Shop in San Antonio and they refused to sell me the Remington Model 7 they had cause I had just moved to the area.  I am in the military and I had moved from another Texas base to a base in San Antonio.  I am a Texas resident and they told me the BATF rule is I'd have to wait 90 days.  I went home and looked this up on the BATF website and realized Bass Pro Shop was full of crap.  I called Cabela's in Buda, TX and the next day purchased a Savage rifle.  Less expensive, mounted scope, and a really nice rifle too.  Thanks Bass Pro for being idiots :aok

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
Jackal,  I think I would have gave up about 11:45.   Personally after I called Grapevine and found out they had it in stock I would have stopped by the Hubbard store just to let know how stupid they were and then told them they could suck eggs and leave and go pick up my parts in Grapevine.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
Jackal,  I think I would have gave up about 11:45.   Personally after I called Grapevine and found out they had it in stock I would have stopped by the Hubbard store just to let know how stupid they were and then told them they could suck eggs and leave and go pick up my parts in Grapevine.

Hehe. Yep, I considered that, but I get hard headed and determined about things like this sometimes. I may have my day yet. I have to see if the part actualy makes it in.
I have been wanting to go to Cavanaugh for quite some time, so the trip wouldn`t have been a waste. My problem is that I dislike the Dallas area with a passion and usualy will not go unless it is an absolute must.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:26:41 AM »
Yeah I haven't had much luck with BPS for there Tracker/Tahoe repair/parts department..

Tracker's, in my case I own a Tahoe 195. I am on my 3rd ignition switch.  They are crap!!!  The backing ring on the switch are plastic and the rings break thus the switch just spins in the hole. You have to reach your arm up and under the dash to start it. PINA!!! Only good thing is this boat starts on the first turn thank god..

I feel your pain Jackal..

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
It is amazing with the internet today that you couldn't just order the part online and have it on your porch by 9am the next day. Might pay a little more for shipping, but with gas at $3 a gallon probably a wash. Not to mention all the time you have involved. Then again, that depends on how much value you put on your free time.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
Originally posted by BigGun
It is amazing with the internet today that you couldn't just order the part online and have it on your porch by 9am the next day. Might pay a little more for shipping, but with gas at $3 a gallon probably a wash. Not to mention all the time you have involved. Then again, that depends on how much value you put on your free time.

LMAO
Bud the only thing you are going to have on your porch around here at 9 AM the next day is one of the neighbors wanting to bum a beer. :)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
In Bossier City the gator is good at KooKoos on old Minter and I suggest going across the street to that Mexican place, Los Pasaldos and get the Three Quail Dinner. Tell Donna I said hi. The Rattlesnake bites at the Texas Roadhouse aren't bad either... tell Tagget I said hi.  She was named by her Mom after their dog. That's a sure bet at the bar with strangers.
"Wanna bet she was named after a Dog?... $5.00?"

In Downtown Shreveport hit the Tiger for a lil Cajun... then maybe Fast Eddies in Bossier City for some brews and a game of pool.

:D

Mac
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:01:16 PM by AWMac »

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »
Dude don't go through Bas Pro shops for something like that. Who makes the engine on your boat? Get the model of the engine and the controler and go to the manufactures website and order the part from them or just take it to a local boat shop.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »
I love that store... been there everytime i go to that part of texas!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »
Originally posted by Scatcat
Ithey refused to sell me the Remington Model 7 they had cause I had just moved to the area.  

Did you have a current Texas Driver's license with the correct address on it?

You need that or your military ID and a copy of your PCS orders assigning you to a Texas base.

Either one of those and you should have been good to go, no waiting period.

Cabela's Buda should have required one of those as well. If you didn't have it, they screwed up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 07:35:28 AM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Dude don't go through Bas Pro shops for something like that. Who makes the engine on your boat? Get the model of the engine and the controler and go to the manufactures website and order the part from them or just take it to a local boat shop.

LOL
Yea......I could take it to the "local boat shop" without a prob. As a matter of fact  it`s about 2 minutes from my house. The only problem is an $18.00 part will turn into a $250.00 or so job in a heart beat. No thanks.
Doesn`t matter what engine is on the thing. Tracker has it`s own setup.
It`s no biggie. I`ve got plenty of time to mess with their heads. :)
The whole point of this thread is the amazement I get from trying to figure out who hires some of these folks who work in retail at some businesses nowadays.
Some of the big chains seem to have a real gift of hiring and placing people in depts. in which they do not have a clue about.
Want some real fun? Go to a Wally World , in sporting goods and start talking guns, ballistics, trajectory, etc. to one of their highly trained staff. It`s always worth a hoot. :aok
For the most part they don`t know the difference between a Zebco 202 and a Rem mag.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
The whole point of this thread is the amazement I get from trying to figure out who hires some of these folks who work in retail at some businesses nowadays.
Some of the big chains seem to have a real gift of hiring and placing people in depts. in which they do not have a clue about.

HR hires these folks. They get to select from a group of people that will work for a starting pay of $8.50 an hour.

How many people do you know that are well informed about sporting goods and willing to work for $8.50 an hour and basically no benefits?

The other factor is that once in that position, the rare trulyintelligent guy that knows his subject and works hard is treated and paid exactly the same as the clueless dolt that spends most of his time leaning against the counter with his index finger buried up to the knuckle in his right nostril.

It's the old story: you don't get top quality for a no quality price. Applies to employees as well. The big box stores have bean counters that specify the amount that can be spent on labor as a percentage of the store's gross. The percentage is very, very small and gets trimmed a little more every year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
I totaly agree Toad. It`s a sad practice and not very good one for business. You pay for what you get. Wally, for instance, could kick butt in the sporting goods dept. if they would spend the extra bucks for someone who actualy knew what they were doing there.
  On the other hand, I personaly, would not take a job in a filed that I knew I was an idiot at. :)

Miracle of all miracles......I have the part in hand.
 They guy knew who I was and what I was after even before i got through the security door.
Muuuuhahahhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!  
:t

Offline 68bigtex

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
I had the same problem in the Orlando bass pro shop great store, horrible, Horrible customer service.  If the employees arnt avoiding customers they are in little groups screwing around.  I stood at the pistol counter for five mins not 3 feet from 4 employees and not one offered to help me.