Author Topic: O.k. just so I got this straight...  (Read 891 times)

VWE

O.k. just so I got this straight...
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
Was it ever dicided if there was going to be a con this year?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »
The Grapevine grapevine hints at the possibility of an "unofficial" Con, possible towards the later part of October. You might get a reply from a certain long time player who's name I decline to mention, who might offer more clarity.

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:28:22 AM »
Since I am new to AH, could someone fill me in on a couple of things concerning cons?

In the past has AH done one every year?

Are they done by HiTech, or by a group of players?

If an "official" con is not going to be held this year, are they planning to do one next year?

Thanks,
Tachus

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
I hope whoever the mystery man is, he thinks about sending me a PM too.

^^
That's a hint of my own....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:01:55 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I hope whoever the mystery man is, he thinks about sending me a PM too.

^^
That's a hint of my own....

Ditto :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
Originally posted by Tachus
Since I am new to AH, could someone fill me in on a couple of things concerning cons?

In the past has AH done one every year?

Are they done by HiTech, or by a group of players?

If an "official" con is not going to be held this year, are they planning to do one next year?

Thanks,
Tachus

The last official Con was held about 2 years ago in Grapevine. Having been to 3 of them I can tell you they're a lot of fun for the players, and a LOT of work for HTC staffers. While it's only my guess, until CT goes live, I doubt HTC will officially sponser one in the near future. As for next year, Hitech is loath to answer "when will...." questions.

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:20 AM »
TxMom,

I was just at your squad web site. I'm very new with AH, (though I did fly for many years in AW) and I'm been checking out squads that I might fit into well. (And that would have me of course :) )

First let me say, I liked the page and the squad structure very much; but what I couldn't find however, was what country you squad is based in. (BTW this is very common on most of the squad pages I've been to.)

Could you let me know?

Thanks,
Tachus

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
Originally posted by Tachus
TxMom,
I was just at your squad web site. I'm very new with AH, (though I did fly for many years in AW) and I'm been checking out squads that I might fit into well. (And that would have me of course :) )
First let me say, I liked the page and the squad structure very much; but what I couldn't find however, was what country you squad is based in. (BTW this is very common on most of the squad pages I've been to.)
Could you let me know?
Thanks,
Tachus

Tachus, thanks for the nice post. Our squad has been rook for about a year ~ but before that were knight ~ and before that rook.  It'll be common to see squads not post a specific country, as they'll switch around from time to time.
Glad you like our site. :) You're welcome to visit our squad: rook, sunday nights 9:00 eastern, ch 190.

Also, check out the squadron section of the bulletin board. There's usually a great number of squads recruiting, and they usually post on that section. :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:48:33 AM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, TxMom

I've been flying as a Knight since I came on, but I think I'll switch up on a Sunday evening and look some of the Air Raiders up.

Best regards,
Tachus

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »
While I'm not into 'clarity' as such, there won't be an "official" con this year. We simply got started trying to organize it too late. Additionally, the local front man is tied up with major business dealings until after the 1st next year. It is to be hoped that an "official" con will happen next year. The current plan (last I heard) was to be able to announce early in '08.

Some of us are going to gather in Grapevine this fall, in part to try to begin planning for next year.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
I myself have planned two cons (Warbirds Pensacola and Dayton in 2001 and 2002), and without any significant assistance from the parent company (heck, the seed money came out of our pockets), so I know what it takes to pull them off.

With that said, it is just shameful that there wasn't an official announcement that there will or won't be one in 2007. All this "unofficial word" nonsense is just that: nonsense.

I mean, at the end of the year, when no Con has happened, people will be disappointed no matter what, so why not simply say to the community now "We're sorry, but software development has consumed too much of our time to plan a Con worthy of attending. We're looking into next year already." At least this way, though we may be disappointed, we'll at least know that a Con wasn't just forgotten.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
Originally posted by llama
I myself have planned two cons (Warbirds Pensacola and Dayton in 2001 and 2002), and without any significant assistance from the parent company (heck, the seed money came out of our pockets), so I know what it takes to pull them off.

With that said, it is just shameful that there wasn't an official announcement that there will or won't be one in 2007. All this "unofficial word" nonsense is just that: nonsense.

I mean, at the end of the year, when no Con has happened, people will be disappointed no matter what, so why not simply say to the community now "We're sorry, but software development has consumed too much of our time to plan a Con worthy of attending. We're looking into next year already." At least this way, though we may be disappointed, we'll at least know that a Con wasn't just forgotten.

-Llama

Concur.

I fully understand the dynamic that makes HTC hesitant to talk about dates or  unconfirmed plans. But I just can't see why a definite "no" decision should be kept secret.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 08:09:53 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy

Some of us are going to gather in Grapevine this fall, in part to try to begin planning for next year.

Translation: Consume mass quantities of Shiner Beer, Blue Belle Ice Cream and Whattaburgers :rofl :lol

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
Originally posted by Max
... Whattaburgers :rofl :lol

With cheese. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."