Author Topic: In defence of younger players  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
In defence of younger players
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »
Having said that, both d0gma and I are in a squad that includes a 12 year old. Sondog is a good kid, and getting to be a pretty good stick. One thing he is NOT is any kind of brat -- if it wasnt for his voice, you'd think he was just like any one of the many "good guys" out there. He doesnt smack, cuss, whine --- or squeak.

The issue isnt whether a player is a kid or not. Its whether the player shows maturity, and interest in a game that frankly requires a long attention span.

Some kids don't have either, and don't get the idea that THEY need to expend some effort to learn. Unfortunately, there are also adult players who don't have either, so we can expect that those choice individuals will abuse some kids who don't deserve it.

Worst of all, we can't really do anything about immature kids, or immature adults, except take a deep breath and try to laugh about it.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Having said that, both d0gma and I are in a squad that includes a 12 year old. Sondog is a good kid, and getting to be a pretty good stick. One thing he is NOT is any kind of brat -- if it wasnt for his voice, you'd think he was just like any one of the many "good guys" out there. He doesnt smack, cuss, whine --- or squeak.

The issue isnt whether a player is a kid or not. Its whether the player shows maturity, and interest in a game that frankly requires a long attention span.

Some kids don't have either, and don't get the idea that THEY need to expend some effort to learn. Unfortunately, there are also adult players who don't have either, so we can expect that those choice individuals will abuse some kids who don't deserve it.

Worst of all, we can't really do anything about immature kids, or immature adults, except take a deep breath and try to laugh about it.

Sim,

My post was merely an attempt to shed a little light on the dynamic that exists in the game with regards to younger players, not to cast dispersions on anyone in particular.  I think that a lot of situations that cause friction in the game between age-disparate players can be tracked down to a lack of respect, on both sides of the fence, but more often than not ignited by a lack of respect from the younger players and the 'gimme now' attitude.

Absolutely, I think that sondog is what all younger players should strive to be. Plus he is a good stick, much better than I am.  AND he's the son of our squad's CO, so there's some oversight there.  Not that he needs it, but it does bear mentioning, especially in light of my previous post.  As well, my previous statement regarding playing the game with children does not apply to sondog, as he is the son of a friend and not some random child on an internet game.

d0gma
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:39:10 PM by scottydawg »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: In defence of younger players
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Originally posted by Helm
I am really tired of the endless bashing of the younger players that join our community.  I find this bashing 10 times more childish then any antics that a younger flyer does.  I find the term “squeaker” offensive and irresponsible.  

I'm going to be frank and don't take it as me being rude.  It happens in EVERY game.  Every game.  It's going to happen, you'll just have to deal with it.  Its great to find young players with such interest and maturity; however, its far and few between.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 09:23:58 PM »
.................VANSCREWS... ............................. .......IS.................... ..... THE........................  ULTIMATE..................... ......SQEAKER..... or so i think :D :D
:aok

i don't have problems with the newer kids that play the game, i just think some are annoying (example:64kills).

anyway, i used to be a HUGE sqeaker, but i'm grown up now, at the age of 12 :D. Don't call me a sqeaker because i'm not. (i got into the C-Hawks which usualy only accept people that are 18 or over, so thats gotta show something)

Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks