Author Topic: B-25 damage bug?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:32:11 AM »
Doesn't seem to be a de-facto bug report post on it, so I'll start one.

Several folks in other threads agree with me when I say the B-25s soak up too much damage without anything being destroyed. I unloaded most of a mossie's 20mms (just the 20mms) into a single B-25C and only got him as I ran out. I put many good solid bursts into various parts (enough to down 5 B-24s!) and he only exploded at the last second. Another pilot reported unloading everything from a n1k2 into one and not getting the kill until the very end of his ammo load.

I myself have taken dozens of 37mm hits with no damage. I took a good solid P-51 burst in my wing and only had 3 bullet holes to show for it.

I think there's something off with the damage levels on the B-25s. Not sure about C and H both, but C for sure.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:38:44 AM »
I think it's more probably a combination of luck (good or bad, depending on your perspective) or lag issues. There's been times I've put a solid second burst of Ma Deuce at convergence range into a Spit's wing and watched him fly off without a scratch, whereas a half-second or less is usually sufficient to clip a Spit (keep in mind I keep my convergence short at 200yds).

I haven't flown the 25H much, but so far the only thing I'VE flown off after taking sustained fire from from is auto ack. But that's been the story of my time in the MA this tour in general. :rolleyes:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
I don't think it was luck or lag. There was only myself and 1 formation of b-25s at 20k and nobody else within 15k. Lag was smooth, steady. I saw many solid bursts, not the least of which was 4+ hispano hits middle-of-the-wingtip. With all of the hispano rounds I landed, he didn't lose an aileron, a flap, an elevator, nothing.

Something might need tweaking. Keep in mind the hispano is one of the most lethal 20mm cannon rounds in the game.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
*Shrug* All I know is the Typhoon I ran into over the weekend on Uterus map had no trouble shredding my 25H.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
I guess it needs more testing

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:42:27 AM »
I was in a A8 (With the 2x 20s and 2x 30s...) and it took all my cannon rounds to take down a set of C's. I only fired my cannons.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
Did you by chance get it on film?

My mossie example was unfilmed.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »
I shot down a B25 with a long burst from all six 50s in a P51D. a couple of nights ago.  My guunery is poor so it didn't seem like it took all that much.  Don't recall if it was a C or H.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:57:22 PM »
That was me :aok (in the B25C). Other than in that instance, Ive found the B25 rather suseptable(sp?) to gunfire, at least from the ground. Ive had a 109G2 rip off my tail from about D400-D600, also. The experience in these cases were in the B25H, though.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 02:19:39 AM »
Shot down a trio of B25-Cs in one long burst in a mossie.  Still had about 150 cannon rounds left.

My B25s, both types, lose engines and tail assemblies with ridiculous ease when attacked.  Certainly not as tough as a Lanc or a B26.

Hoping for a Wellington some day.  That should be about the toughest thing ever produced with wings.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 12:26:31 PM »
I flew around last night looking for B25's to kill, just so I could pay attention to how much damage they could take vs the F4U-1A.

The first one I came across was higher than me, but just slightly.  I pulled a major no-no and approached from the dead six position, co-alt, with a slight speed "advantage".  He shot back, but only hit me with a slight ping before he popped.  He didn't even break up, he just popped.  Bullets all appeared to hit his tailgunner, so I thought that was odd.

I continued to hunt B25's and found then extremely vulnerable.  Tails get cut off, engines catch fire, wings break off.  It was terrible.  They appear especially weak if you hit them from above shooting the rear portion of the fuselage between the stabilizer and the wings.

How much damage did they soak up?  Not much.  I know that on one hop I landed 13 kills with no re-arms, and six of those were B25's.  One of them did put a little hole near my wingtip.  All told, I would say I wasted more ammo on that hop missing fighters than I did killing B25's.

The corsairs do hold a lot of ammo, but even so...

Maybe the B25 isn't the issue?  Rubber bullets maybe?  Something else?

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
Yes, going by some other posts, I begin to think it's a major rubber bullet issue, rather than plane-specific.

A couple of days before this mossie incident, I was in a -25C with the 8-pack nose. I hosed a spitfire very heavily right in the cockpit for a 1second+ burst (8 guns, no convergence) and nothing. I eventually got an assist. I put a very solid hit on the tailplanes/stabs of a typhoon, and only got an assist. I put 2-3 very solid hits into a P-51D before he eventually went down. At the time I figured the 50cals were just pathetic on the B-25.

Now I think it isn't plane-specific.

This rubber bullet stuff didn't happen to me before the patch. Others are reporting it as well. I don't know what's up. I'm trying out some settings changes on my home PC to figure it out, but it's slow going.

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Yes, going by some other posts, I begin to think it's a major rubber bullet issue, rather than plane-specific.

A couple of days before this mossie incident, I was in a -25C with the 8-pack nose. I hosed a spitfire very heavily right in the cockpit for a 1second+ burst (8 guns, no convergence) and nothing. I eventually got an assist. I put a very solid hit on the tailplanes/stabs of a typhoon, and only got an assist. I put 2-3 very solid hits into a P-51D before he eventually went down. At the time I figured the 50cals were just pathetic on the B-25.

Now I think it isn't plane-specific.

This rubber bullet stuff didn't happen to me before the patch. Others are reporting it as well. I don't know what's up. I'm trying out some settings changes on my home PC to figure it out, but it's slow going.

set the convergence on the 25, and the guns will act like a buzz saw.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 05:06:09 PM »
The guns probably DON'T converge, like the P-38 guns. That's what I meant, they were all centrally located, they were all hitting at the same time (as opposed to a P-47 where you might have 1 wing hit, the other wing miss)

Offline sgtnick

• Zinc Member
B-25 damage bug?
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 07:20:54 PM »
i was flying in the 8player mode about maybe a week ago (before it was closed indefinitly) and was being chased by both a hurricaneIIc and an N1K2 and they both emptied atleast 500+ rounds in to my tail and i was able to continue flying with only 2 bullet holes in my winds:huh