Author Topic: pot and kettle  (Read 807 times)

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Just an FYI,

Endless congressional bickering (not much different from what we have now) means no passage of federal budget. That means the country comes to a stop here. I too am ashamed at the "quality" of our congress and senate but I do know that they still HAVE to pass some things in order for us to be able to do anything.

Why, pray tell, does the county come to a stop just because no federal budget gets passed? Does everybody in the country work for the federal government? If the bureaucrats don't show up for work, do we all not know what to do?

Here's what we have to suffer without if there were no budget. Don't know how we'd get by.

FTA:

Despite dire predictions from the National Hurricane Center, no hurricanes hit the U.S. last year. …private weather forecasting companies predicted the threat to New Orleans well before the National Weather Service. In fact, AccuWeather issued a forecast that the hurricane would hit New Orleans 12 hours earlier than the government service. …A new study by Forecast Watch, a company that keeps track of past forecasts, found that from Oct. 1, 2006, through June 30, 2007, the government’s National Weather Service did very poorly in predicting the probability of rain or snow. Comparing the National Weather Service to The Weather Channel, CustomWeather, and DTN Meteorlogix, Forecast Watch found that the government’s next-day forecast had a 21 percent greater error rate between predicted probability of precipitation and the rate that precipitation actually occurred.

The National Weather Service is a small federal agency - only a $1Billion/yr waste.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »
Samiam,

You really need to research how much federal money funds state and local programs that you use.

Just one minor part, the FAA including air traffic controllers. Think of other functions that the feds control. Immigrations, Customs the Coast Guard and other forms of the military. It's more than you think and the slow down will tricle down to the local level very quickly.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
pot and kettle
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
well....  let's just have em do nothing and fund nothing for a little while and see how we do without em..   but...  if they don't pass a budget on time then we should pay no income tax that year.

lazs

Like you were gonna pay anyway lazs :p :rofl

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Samiam,

You really need to research how much federal money funds state and local programs that you use.

Just one minor part, the FAA including air traffic controllers. Think of other functions that the feds control. Immigrations, Customs the Coast Guard and other forms of the military. It's more than you think and the slow down will tricle down to the local level very quickly.

I am VERY well aware of how much our bloated, overreaching federal government intrudes into every aspect of our lives. If only more people were more aware of how these tax dollars were used to bribe (that's my word for it) state and local legislators to bend to the will of the federal government.

Save for the military (which does not shut down during times when there is no federal budget in place), there are few functions of the Federal government that I find useful. Of those, there are few that couldn't be performed as a private service more effectively.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »
Originally posted by Samiam
I am VERY well aware of how much our bloated, overreaching federal government intrudes into every aspect of our lives. If only more people were more aware of how these tax dollars were used to bribe (that's my word for it) state and local legislators to bend to the will of the federal government.

like when the feds told the states to make the max speed limit 55 MPH or the feds would cut off fed highway funding.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 09:08:05 AM »
well... I just heard where UPS is gonna use GPS to control their own air traffic and I bet it does a better job... the feds are adopting the system.

If I had to trust food for purity...  I would go with a kosher seal before a government one.  

I sent my grand daughter to school this week.... a catholic one.

Nope... can't think of anything other than the courts and the army that I need the government to do for me.

lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
If I had to trust food for purity...  I would go with a kosher seal before a government one.  

hebrew national hot dogs, their motto, "we answer to a higher authority":D

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
UL listing is another example of a private initiative serving the public interest in a far superior manner than the government ever could.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
well... I just heard where UPS is gonna use GPS to control their own air traffic and I bet it does a better job... the feds are adopting the system.

I sent my grand daughter to school this week.... a catholic one.

Nope... can't think of anything other than the courts and the army that I need the government to do for me.

lazs

Fascinating..tell me, exactly what airspace does UPS control?   There are a
few thousand other aircraft in the same airspace every day, not all of which
have GPS onboard.

Knowing where you are doesn't tell you where everyone else is.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Rino,

His mind is made up. He has no clue as to how many thousand planes are up and how they have to be funneled and slotted for all activities. He also doesn't understand how all aircraft in a commercial aircraft airport are controlled on the ground. I suppose he would continue to go to work every day for 3 months without pay just because the budget got left behind.

Just like the guy that thinks everything will run if funding is not continued. I was in the Army at the time the budget was slipped from the fiscal year end of July to the end of September and saw how many things had to be canceled because there was no funding for travel and fuel alone much less ammo and other things that are bought by the feds from private sources.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »
Originally posted by 68Hawk
The sooner we get past the parties, the sooner we can get some real progress made.

They both suck!  Get used to it.

Word.

How anyone can have a use for either party, I'll never know. After living through the Slick Willie / Bad Bush experience, both contemptuous party hacks and probably criminals, it seems people are tired of all these transparently phony do nothing losers.  42% of Democrats / 44% Republicans think electing an independent candidate would be "good for the country"... because, as stated so eloquently above, both partys suck.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287190,00.html

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
Oh how I have longed for a third party to come to some power so that no one party has a clear cut majority.  Then and only then we may be able to actually get something useful accomplished by our congressional members

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »
Originally posted by Tiger
Oh how I have longed for a third party to come to some power so that no one party has a clear cut majority.  Then and only then we may be able to actually get something useful accomplished by our congressional members

within 2 major election cycles (< 10 years) the 3rd party would be as corrupt as the two we have today

term limits should be tried first as it should be an easier and faster solution - you break up the lifelong gangs in DC, fresh thought and accountability may return
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
xmarine... I really do hope that a lot of democrats vote for an independent.

lazs

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
pot and kettle
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler

term limits should be tried first as it should be an easier and faster solution - you break up the lifelong gangs in DC, fresh thought and accountability may return

Term limits give you lame ducks.