Author Topic: HighRes. & Nivdia settings?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
HighRes. & Nivdia settings?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »
Most certainly they haven't switched to DX10, or we'd be hearing no end of it from Skuzzy :D

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Most certainly they haven't switched to DX10, or we'd be hearing no end of it from Skuzzy :D

Waht I meant is that if that is true (DX9), whether or not AH natively supports AF/AA, you can force it on in the gfx driver. DX is fairly adept at allowing driver calls to dictate texture remaps and smoothing.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
I need another nap
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
Oh, I get what you're saying. My understanding was that not all things would use aniso, even if forced on. It's really for large, repeating, textures that stretch from far to near. The only thing that might apply to is the ground terrain, only the texture size is so large, so broken up, and often (when in flight) so distant, that you never are in such a position to have something an inch from your view stretch into infinity.

Like, the ground in an old Half-Life map stretching from your feet off into the distance, for example. That situation doesn't come up in AH much (at all?). So even if forced on it still wouldn't be enacted just because most of our game is "air."

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Oh, I get what you're saying. My understanding was that not all things would use aniso, even if forced on. It's really for large, repeating, textures that stretch from far to near. The only thing that might apply to is the ground terrain, only the texture size is so large, so broken up, and often (when in flight) so distant, that you never are in such a position to have something an inch from your view stretch into infinity.

Like, the ground in an old Half-Life map stretching from your feet off into the distance, for example. That situation doesn't come up in AH much (at all?). So even if forced on it still wouldn't be enacted just because most of our game is "air."

Could be.... I don't know enough about it to say, really.  Maybe clouds? Clouds are just textures with high transparency.

Anyhoo, I don't use either anymore.... the sawtoothing is a little distracting since I started using a TrackIR, but at least I see those lil dots way out.
1280x1024

I wonder if native resolution has much to do with it.

Anyone else using a WS monitor at 1680x1050? I did for a while on a 21" but couldn't get used to it, the views were too cut off. Maybe I should try again with the TIR.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
I played around with my native resolution to see if I could "enhance" the dots at distance.

That is, if I ran at 1024 res, or 800, and my monitor is 1280x1024 native, would it make a single pixel for the dot, then "scale it up" when displaying on the monitor, and it really didn't help much. It seemed just as hard to see them, probably because the lower quality and resolution countered out the "scaling up" of the dot anyways.

I went back to native res because it was making my fonts/text look all funky and it got on my nerves.

EDIT: P.S. You can set the monitor hardware properties to NOT resize the image. This way if you have a 1680x1050 monitor, and you want to play at 1280x1024, you can keep the 3:4 ratio without resampling the pixels. It will just center the resolution you want, and leave the left/right edges with black letterboxes.

Just a suggestion, if you didn't already know. :aok
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:42:35 PM by Krusty »

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
Yes I know, but it makes the screen smaller than my 19" 4:3.