Author Topic: HighRes. & Nivdia settings?  (Read 585 times)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
HighRes. & Nivdia settings?
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:06:39 AM »
I have downloaded the highres. pack & I would like to know the settings that I will need to apply inorder to get the best out of the res. pack. & the games graphics.

Here is what I have:

Gateway FX 530XV w/ Gateway 22" widescreen LCD

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)

Hard Drive: 1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 16MB cache & Raid 0 (2-500GB hard drives)

Nvidia 8600 GTS

2GB RAM (PNY 2DDR)

Power Supply: 700-Watt

SB Audigy

Right now my Nvidia 8600 GTS res is: 1680 x 1050

My refresh rate: 60 Hertz

Color quality: Highest (32 bit)

Below is what I see now:

<- to blury

Thanx in advance <>
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:20:13 AM by RATTFINK »
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:39:07 AM »
in the video setting you have to set the texture size to 1024

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
The "hi-res pack" doesn't mean screen size, it means texture size. The plane is "so big" and the texture stretches to fit. 1024 textures have the most pixels and show the most detail. 512 are a slight step down (but still decent). Anything below 1024 resamples upwards to fit the plane, this is why you get blurry textures.

The downside is they take a lot more resources the higher you go on the texture size. I think your system can handle it, though.

And, to get the best pixel quality regardless of texture settings or other options, you'll want to run AH at your monitor's native (max) resolution. I checked the link you gave, this would be 1680 x 1050.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:45:44 PM »
^^ what they said.

- also, if you look at your screenshot you can see that that edges near horizontal and vertical is jagged - especially look at the buttom of the plane.

If your graphic card can handle it - those jagged edges can be smoothed out.

In Windows find the options for your graphics card and enable anti-aliasing. Try 4X anti-aliasing. (Higher values gives only little visible improvements but is expensive on performance.)

Be aware - if your graphic card can't handle it - you will experience bad frame-rates.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »
His card is slightly better than mine, and mine can handle FSAA.

Just be advised that for some stupid reason FSAA doesn't show up on screenshots. (but it does in game)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

Just be advised that for some stupid reason FSAA doesn't show up on screenshots. (but it does in game)

Weird!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
I upped teh FSAA & ... tada, it is bad ace

tnx yall <>

ALL HALE KRUSTY  

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »
One thing I found out the hard way is that turning on AA and possibly AF, if set high enough can make dot vis go away.  Meaning the smoothing code in AA/AF removes the dots (faraway planes) when it smooths (is that a word?) your textures.

Found this out the hard way one night in Pac SEA.  My squaddies were 'dot 9 high' and I couldn't see anything. Hrm.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
It's possible. However, I'd thought of that myself, and have tested it without any FSAA and the dots still seem equally hard to discern (to me). Some folks can see dots much further out than others.

I noticed dots way out once, then they disappeared. It turns out they turned the same color as the sky, and slowly faded in, but before that they are dots. I think some hardware better represents this than others. Possibly a coding issue with AH display processes?

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »
It's possible. However, I'd thought of that myself, and have tested it without any FSAA and the dots still seem equally hard to discern (to me). Some folks can see dots much further out than others.

I noticed dots way out once, then they disappeared. It turns out they turned the same color as the sky, and slowly faded in, but before that they are dots. I think some hardware better represents this than others. Possibly a coding issue with AH display processes?

Dunno.  It may have been the anisotropic filtering that did it. I had just gotten the card and was playing with the settings so I can't be positive. It is a Geforce 7950GT.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »
I've tried it maxed out and trimmed back, almost no difference on my setup for how/where/why dots display at range.

Oh, and I believe Skuzzy has said that AH doesn't use anisotropic filtering. It doesn't affect the game at all, apparently.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »
I've tried it maxed out and trimmed back, almost no difference on my setup for how/where/why dots display at range.

Oh, and I believe Skuzzy has said that AH doesn't use anisotropic filtering. It doesn't affect the game at all, apparently.

Yeah but you can force it on using the NV control panel, and that's what I was doing.
Just sayin.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »
I see cons way before any of my squaddies do.  They look like stars (white objects in the distance)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »
I don't think forcing it on works, was what I meant to say. Sorry for not being specific. AH doesn't display things (doesn't have the code run in a manner) so that they would be filtered. Something like that.

I'm guessing, mind you. All I know is that I bumped everything to max a few times. Some things make the game look almost like a new game altogether. Others don't do much at all. I think aniso was one that didn't do much at all.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
I don't think forcing it on works, was what I meant to say. Sorry for not being specific. AH doesn't display things (doesn't have the code run in a manner) so that they would be filtered. Something like that.

I'm guessing, mind you. All I know is that I bumped everything to max a few times. Some things make the game look almost like a new game altogether. Others don't do much at all. I think aniso was one that didn't do much at all.

Not sure either, but I think that AH uses DX9 for all its graphics calls?