Author Topic: using AH cloud modelling for smoke/fire idea  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
using AH cloud modelling for smoke/fire idea
« on: May 01, 2000, 03:49:00 AM »

would it be possible to use the AH clouds as smoke rising from burning factories and airfields?

the dynamics and effects are similar in a way  

------------------
"There are no born fighter pilots. Some are a little better than others, thats about it. But I would say time, training, training, training and more training are the key... to any success."  -Francis Gabreski

Citabria
=357th Pony Express=
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2000, 03:52:00 AM »
I forget where I read it, but smoke rising from bombed out buidlings etc. will be in the next release.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2000, 04:48:00 AM »
vv I'm just thinking along the lines of the chaos that would be created by all that smoke!

places to hide... difficulty taking off, smoke everywhere from stuff thats blown up!

it looks fun  

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-01-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2000, 05:46:00 AM »
Speaking of fire effects, just wondering if this has happened to you in the new release.

I was flying a B17 and got shot at by a 109.  I managed to kill the 109 but noticed from external view that I had a raging fire on the left wing root near the bomb bay.

I'd already made my drop, so I was on my way home, constant altitude and airspeed.  I'm panning around in external view to make sure no other bogies are around when suddenly

BLAM!  The aircraft blows up and I am dead.  

So, has persistent fire been introduced into this version?  And if so, where the hell did I put my fire extinguisher?

BTW,the pilot was not wounded  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2000, 05:51:00 AM »
Yep I've seen that too...Fighting a P38 the other day I got full hits ,but somehow the structure was untouched...more or less   . As I saw the enemy going down ,I noticed that the left engine had a wonderful fire raging in it...was an impressive view!!   In the end  The poor guy crashed...he had both his rudders and ailerons gone ...strange kind of death in a P38  

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Speaking of fire effects, just wondering if this has happened to you in the new release.

I was flying a B17 and got shot at by a 109.  I managed to kill the 109 but noticed from external view that I had a raging fire on the left wing root near the bomb bay.

I'd already made my drop, so I was on my way home, constant altitude and airspeed.  I'm panning around in external view to make sure no other bogies are around when suddenly

So, has persistent fire been introduced into this version?  And if so, where the hell did I put my fire extinguisher?

------------------
Ram, out

Fw190D9? Ta152H1? The truth is out there
JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 05-01-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2000, 06:49:00 AM »
Great idea Citabria.....

Not sure what it would do to frame rate and system requirements, but intriguing concept to look into.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2000, 01:21:00 PM »
Hi all

Originally posted by Jekyll:

Yep, noticed that more since version 1.02... now if there is a raging fire on your B17 engines it's best to bail out cos on three occasions the plane has just blown up when you're trying to limp home.  Only if it's on fire mind!  

Regards all

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2000, 01:48:00 PM »
 I dunno, but i think fire effect/dammage has been modeled.  The other day I was in a fight in my 190 on the deck.  Well I ended up scraping the bottom of my bird on the ground and crashed.  It was realy an awesome crash,  end over end flipping, wings flying everywhere.  When I stopped, I was still alive. Both wing roots were blazing away on either side of my cockpit.

Well I just sat there looking at the fire and all of a sudden I'm back in the tower.  It said "you have been killed"  but there was no sound, only death.  The plane that I was fighting was not making passes at me either.  

Did I burn to death?  Ouch what a crappy way to go.......

Udie