Author Topic: Cool Ki-43 footage.  (Read 1404 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »
I think I've seen all US, Britain, Soviet, and German footages of their planes.

but this...:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-o5hCzp18

NOTE:  like its German counterpart, this is a propaganda footage mixed with gun cam footage.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
NOTE:  like its German counterpart, this is a propaganda footage mixed with gun cam footage.
The footage is from the movie 'Kato Hayabusa Sentotai' filmed in 1944 by Toho Co, screenplay by Kajiro Yamamoto. It's a story of Kato Takeo (Susumu Fujita).

Lot of scenes were filmed with real aircraft (including captured allied rides).

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
I hope nobody bases their expectations of Ki-43 firepower on that clip.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 04:20:15 PM »
IIRC Akira Kurosawa was involved (co-writer or something) with a film on Hayabusa. Is this the same film?

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
Originally posted by gripen
IIRC Akira Kurosawa was involved (co-writer or something) with a film on Hayabusa. Is this the same film?
Not that I know of. The only other well known person involved was Ishiro Honda (assistant director).

There was another movie about Kato and 64th Sentai "Rikugun hayabusa sentotai" (1970). It is possible he was involved.

I know he wrote few parts for Tora! Tora! Tora! though.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Looks like bunch of Ki 84s to me:t

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:10:53 AM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Not that I know of. The only other well known person involved was Ishiro Honda (assistant director).

There was another movie about Kato and 64th Sentai "Rikugun hayabusa sentotai" (1970). It is possible he was involved.

I know he wrote few parts for Tora! Tora! Tora! though.

A bit of googling revealed that Kurosawa was co-writer of another film called "Tsubasa no gaika" aka "A Triumph of Wings" (1942).

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:37:12 AM »
There's a Brewster in it! Show it to the Finns! :D

Btw, I think you all already know this, anyway... if you're looking about any kind of information regarding cinema or TV http://www.imdb.com is your best friend. :)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:41 PM »
hmmm, got to get me a pair of cowl mounted 7.7mm:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »
7.7mms sound like a gentle spring rain on my roof as they bounce lightly off my F4U. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
Ahem. Those are HO 103 12.7mm

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
I hope nobody bases their expectations of Ki-43 firepower on that clip.  :p

Why not? Many base their expectations on US guncams and take them as religious gospel :)

Besides, most Ki-43s were armed with 2x12,7 shooting explosive bullets and the guns were concentrated closely on the nose, so the effect on target was much more efficient than one would imagine at first thought.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 09:47:35 PM »
The Ki-84 in AH has those two guns in its nose already.  They can kill, but they are not wonder weapons by any stretch.

If you want to experience Ki-43-II firepower just grab a Ki-84 and empty your cannons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »
Excellent footage and it is always nice to see how those planes moved in the air. The rest is the normal propaganda and somewhat crappy effects, but still done with skill considering the time and conditions. Better than many western productions during and after the war.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Laciner

• Zinc Member
Cool Ki-43 footage.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »
"The footage is from the movie 'Kato Hayabusa Sentotai' filmed in 1944 by Toho Co, screenplay by Kajiro Yamamoto."

So that's what Toho did before the Godzilla movies. Wouldn't it be great if Aces High had a Godzilla monster that you could drive around? It would be thirty stories tall, atomic breath, claws, perhaps it could lay eggs on the enemy bases and spawn Godzookis, which of course can fly.

Warbirds had one, a very long time ago:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/warbirdseastereggs/

Seriously, though, it would be fascinating to know what was going through the filmmakers' minds in 1944. Did they know they were losing the war? And that their film would be used to make young men feel better about being sent to certain death? I bet they had some sleepless nights when it was all over.